What's new

Gone to Ebay FREDDY!

The toad is optional, You don't HAVE to take it ;)

I think its pretty cool though.

BigIan, you still got that Hook?

If anyone on here fancies a bid and wants to know more then please use this thread to ask questions.
Thanks

Last edited:
Appreciate it's a bit late but skip to 33 mins in this vid where they're discussing gottlieb system 3 board problems

Thanks Gaz,
Its got a brand new U8, a rebuilt HV section ont he dmd driver and the battery was still good on the mpu. I did replace it anyway and fit a coin battery holder etc.
The game was working until the last owner (not Dan) was fiddling with the Opto board with the machine turned on.
There was no period of inactivity before a breakdown etc
I have already tried the usual areas to no avail.

As before though I am going to steer clear of Gotti's and stick with what I know a little more about.

Appreciate the link and the time you've taken to post it up.

Ive spent many hr's on google and youtube trying to fix this one and its just beyond me. Maybe Ive missed something simple but from what I have been told from the last owner its looking unlikely.
This needs to go to someone who knows Gottlieb system 3 and or has parts from another machine to swap into it to fault find.

This has cost me a small fortune but I want to keep my sanity so its off to someone else who actually knows what they are doing lol

Good vid with some great tips but that guy from TNT with his silly patronising undertone reminds me of Fagin from Oliver Twist....

I.........am.........re.... VIEWING ......tha ....SIT...TU...ATION..... hahahaha.

No worries mate. Gutted for your situation. Hate getting stumped. Like you say,it's time to draw the line in the sand and move on. Good luck with the sale.

And Rus, I can't help but love Todd Tuckey. Cheese pilot that he is

I like his vids too. Not too sure about the ones where he reads out letters from fans and customers... Very odd lol

Appreciate it's a bit late but skip to 33 mins in this vid where they're discussing gottlieb system 3 board problems

"Never, never, never [waggles finger] never, never unplug Gottlieb boards with the power on!"

WTF?!?!? Errr... never unplug any boards in any game with the ruddy effin' power on! FFS... do folks really do this sh*t?

"Never, never, never [waggles finger] never, never unplug Gottlieb boards with the power on!"

WTF?!?!? Errr... never unplug any boards in any game with the ruddy effin' power on! FFS... do folks really do this sh*t?

Of course, I think people are inherently stupid (myself included) when it comes to fiddling with pins

Yip....... I have a bad habit of shoogling live connectors .......:cuckoo: Not always with the desired result. If it goes wrong I put it down to a weakness......either in the component...... Or my thought process. ;)

Tut tut, you guys!!! You'll be laughing out the other side of your ****s when you slip and accidentally touch something live. US safety standards in the 70s/80s/90s were nothing like those in Europe because of their "safe" 110V mains. My Bally's are bristling with exposed live connectors. Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole when it's plugged in. IT AIN'T WORTH IT!

As for Todd Tuckey... I love his err... "unique" style. He seems to know a fair bit. But when he starts poking and pointing around the insides of a live game I just cringe. Fingers resting on fuse holders, touching gas discharge displays (190V), etc. Miracle he's still alive.

At one of the earlier UK pinball shows, whilst waiting for a game, I rested across two machines and felt a 'tingle' - thought I had better mention it to Andy, who stuck a meter across from one to the other - 120v !

so being electrocuted US style is definitely less painful than UK voltages

(mind you, I've been zapped by that a good few times as well)

although my favorite was that on the EM I had, everything ran at 48v EXCEPT for the relays associated with coins and start buttons, they all ran at 240v

At one of the earlier UK pinball shows, whilst waiting for a game, I rested across two machines and felt a 'tingle' - thought I had better mention it to Andy, who stuck a meter across from one to the other - 120v !

so being electrocuted US style is definitely less painful than UK voltages

(mind you, I've been zapped by that a good few times as well)

although my favorite was that on the EM I had, everything ran at 48v EXCEPT for the relays associated with coins and start buttons, they all ran at 240v

I've taken 3 major UK-mains electric shocks in my life. First one I was less than a year old. My uncle was fixing his record player and I crawled over to have a look whilst he popped out for a fag (my Mum wouldn't let him smoke in the house). He'd left it in pieces and plugged in. I've still got a big scar and numb patch on my third right finger. My uncle barely made it out alive. My Mum kicked him out the house and didn't speak to him for 6 months!

The last time I electrocuted myself I was alone in an underground basement of an old Victorian shop in Brighton that I used to live in. I used the basement as a recording studio but there was no power down there so just dropped an extension cable down there when needed. One day something wasn't working and I suspected the extension cable. So I opened up the socket end. But for some utterly unexplainable reason I forgot to unplug it upstairs (I recall thinking I'd unplugged all the equipment so it was safe). I manage to put both hands across the terminals inside. I've never experienced such pain across my chest as all my muscles contracted and my arms attempted to rip themselves off. How my heart didn't stop I'll never know.

That was over 20 years ago and I've never done anything even remotely as stupid ever again. Lesson learnt.

On a more serious note, are there any legal, Health & Safety or insurance requirements for pinball machines to be PAT tested prior to public use at events such as @SOUTH COAST SLAM or UK PINBALL PARTY?

Yes, all machines at the UK Pinball party are PAT tested before they are let loose on the public. (I guess it happens at other events, but not been there during setup to know for sure)

Yes, all machines at the UK Pinball party are PAT tested before they are let loose on the public. (I guess it happens at other events, but not been there during setup to know for sure)
That's good to know! Do many of them fail? And what sort of things need correcting?

My Dad is a qualified PAT tester for Oxfam so he was going to bring his test gadget round and test my pins. I'd like to take Vector to UKPP if I can get there, and was also thinking of taking it to the school Christmas Fayre to help raise some money.

At the SCS a few machines failed, I saw a few with poor earth bonding. We just checked where they were earthed and made sure paint wasn't insulating them on lock down bars etc. I can't remember a machine that couldn't be used after a small amount of work.

There was at least one example of two machines next to each other appearing to have voltage across them that was sorted out by earthing checks.
@TYHO and Mark (both from the awesome NLP) did the checks and signed machines off.

At the SCS a few machines failed, I saw a few with poor earth bonding. We just checked where they were earthed and made sure paint wasn't insulating them on lock down bars etc. I can't remember a machine that couldn't be used after a small amount of work.

There was at least one example of two machines next to each other appearing to have voltage across them that was sorted out by earthing checks.
@TYHO and Mark (both from the awesome NLP) did the checks and signed machines off.

Apart from the shadow lol

The machines were only tested on one occasion at the PP that was not last year but the year before.
I don't think anything is in place for testing this year but I might be wrong.
Only a few have the kit to carry this out and the ones I know have not been asked to carry it out so who knows.
@Pudsey pinball can you shed any light on this ?

The machines were only tested on one occasion at the PP that was not last year but the year before.
I don't think anything is in place for testing this year but I might be wrong.
Only a few have the kit to carry this out and the ones I know have not been asked to carry it out so who knows.
@Pudsey pinball can you shed any light on this ?

I concur.Only remembering happening at the Party once,Dave did that.
I know all required NLP ones do-as I had to help test all of the bloody things with the PAT test guys!
Yes it's a ball ache,but it normally finds a few machines with issues,so it's good they are found.And with,the many guys that help us do the NLP show at Replay,normally get the stuff fixed pronto;)You guys ROCK!!

There are basic simple checks EVERYONE can do at home,to help make the machines safer,but I'll bore you all with that,so will shut up for once

poibug

In fact,I may even buy a test lamp,or make one up,and see if it REALLY is 100volts,when we have an issue.If it lights up,we know it REALLY is 100v,and not a ghost voltage

I concur.Only remembering happening at the Party once,Dave did that.
I know all required NLP ones do-as I had to help test all of the bloody things with the PAT test guys!
Yes it's a ball ache,but it normally finds a few machines with issues,so it's good they are found.And with,the many guys that help us do the NLP show at Replay,normally get the stuff fixed pronto;)You guys ROCK!!

There are basic simple checks EVERYONE can do at home,to help make the machines safer,but I'll bore you all with that,so will shut up for once

poibug

Might be worth doing a sticky how to for people that bring their machines to shows could save a lot of ball ache for you guys

Rudi

Back
Top Bottom