What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

for any pc experts

RudeDogg1

Registered
I appear to of developed a cup problem......

It's been locking up / crashing from time to time, last night it crashed while I was burning a did. So I pressed restart and it didn't boot all the lights lit up but no start up beep or anything St tried turning on and off same result. Tried this morn it beeped and this screen came straight up. I have never never tried over clocking ever and the keyboard and mouse art lit so I can't press any key and it won't let me boot from the windows disc

IMG_2919.JPG

Have you got another keyboard, something that doesn't require power to light it up? The reason you can't use the keyboard and mouse is due to the power not being supplied to them at this point in the boot sequence (I have the same issue with my keyboard and I think its because it's backlit).

Do you know what motherboard is in your PC? To clear this I think the best thing is to clear you CMOS so find out what motherboard you've got and then google the process for clearing the CMOS (might be a button, might be remove a battery or might be a BIOS option).

No I don't have another keyboard what about if I connect it via the keyboard connector instead of usb? Will try clearing the cmos and get the mobo info at the same time

If in doubt you should be able to boot from a USB Linux build - obviously you need a PC to create this... Always handy to keep one on standby.

Cool, you might want to check online to see if your MOBO has any BIOS updates released for it that might fix whatever caused the problem in the first place. Just be careful if you do flash the BIOS and follow the instructions to the letter so you don't brick your machine :thumbs:

Well the problem seems to of resurfaced and resetting the bios is no longer working for long. The mob has the latest bios,any ideas guys?

I'd take a guess that the CMOS is losing its settings for some reason. AMD Phenom 9850 is circa late 2008. Maybe the mobo battery needs replacing? Likely a CR2032 coin cell.

possibly. It's worth a go for less than a quid.

Perform Cmos/bos reset (usually an adjacent jumper - see your manual - usually remover power cable, change battery, move jumper.... connect power cable, remove power cable, move jumper back, connect power cable again and boot....)

Yea just ordered 5 for 99p typical the 2 I have in my man draw for my car fob is the wrong type

I will have to try and find out where the jumper is

thanks guys I think the new battery has sorted it I also gave it a bloody good service as I hadn't for ears and it was full of dust

Really? Woohoo! I guess those years I spent building desktops and servers for a living paid off (and I mean literally building and testing bespoke machines made to order).

Well worth giving your PC a hoover every now and then. Best if you take the case off and unclip the fan from the CPU heatsink. Always loads of fluff under that sucker and it's stopping the airflow from removing heat from the most important part!

Back
Top Bottom