What's new

Fliptronics diodes?

ronnie63

Site Supporter
On this Flint stones both right flippers have 2 diodes each but on the left it only had one, as the coil was bodged I fitted a brand new one but with 2 diodes like the right side, it flipped weakly and popped the fuse on the fliptronics board? Question is should it only have one diode then?

Thanks Ronnie

No two.

But did you install it the right way round and was the previous wiring correct.

Thanks Andy good point! it seems to reflect the other side so I wired it as it was? picture in case I'm being stupid!

Cheers Ronnie

DSC05796.JPG

Had a 3.15A fuse fitted but not slow blow! But it blew violently by the looks of it?

Cheers Ronnie

Right turns out it was a dud coil! even though it was new, 1 ohm across the power winding, thought it might be the diode but nope it's the winding! So another fitted and now working.

Thanks for your input Andy and Mike

Ronnie,

Fliptronic II has additional tie-back diodes on the pcb in any case. The Addams-only Fliptronic didn't, and was the only case I can recall of a solid-state controlled flipper coil locking on.

Conversely, Theatre of Magic used one of the flipper drives for the trunk magnet, and a new one locked that on a few times before I found the tie-back was faulty due to a scratched pcb trace.

A Fliptronic II kicking twice and then turning off is a symptom of the secondary winding being open circuit - the anti-chatter stops it from doing so repeatedly.

Ronnie,

Fliptronic II has additional tie-back diodes on the pcb in any case. The Addams-only Fliptronic didn't, and was the only case I can recall of a solid-state controlled flipper coil locking on.

Conversely, Theatre of Magic used one of the flipper drives for the trunk magnet, and a new one locked that on a few times before I found the tie-back was faulty due to a scratched pcb trace.

A Fliptronic II kicking twice and then turning off is a symptom of the secondary winding being open circuit - the anti-chatter stops it from doing so repeatedly.

Thanks Jay useful information, as it turns out I fitted a shorted coil! So all good now apart from a flipper rebuild probably.

Thanks Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom