What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fliptronic II repair

MadNat

Site Supporter
I had an issue with my Getaway HS2 this weekend. The upper right flipper fuse kept blowing, seemed the flipper power was permenantly on.

Guessed it was a bad TIP - so read up on the schematic to check which TIP's control each flipper. It also dawned on me that 1 of the 4 flippers the Fliptronics II board support was not used (only 3 flippers on HS2).

So I managed to swap the bad TIP (Upper Right), with the onboard spare (Upper Left).

For those in similar situations - attached is a chart I created to map the components used per flipper.

For you curious ones... Is was the TIP36C on Upper Right (Q2) that failed, so took Q1 and popped it into Q2 location.

I'll add some spare TIP36C to my next parts order.

Hope others find this helpful.

Attachments

• Fliptronic II Transistors (1).pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 55
You have to be careful pinching transistors off this board. On other games (like Theater of Magic for example) the spare outputs are used to run normal coils and divertors.

In HS2 it is the case that one section is 'spare' but do not take this advice as gospel. Check your manual first.

I would advise everyone who has a pinball from this era to have some transistors as spares.

You have to be careful pinching transistors off this board. On other games (like Theater of Magic for example) the spare outputs are used to run normal coils and divertors.

In HS2 it is the case that one section is 'spare' but do not take this advice as gospel. Check your manual first.

I would advise everyone who has a pinball from this era to have some transistors as spares.

Theatre of Magic uses a flipper drive circuit for the trunk magnet, as I found when a week-old game repeatedly locked-on the magnet. The tie-back protection was absent due to a tiny scratch on the pcb trace.

Tie-back protection seems to be the main upgrade of 'II' over Fliptronic. Later games can have diodes break on the flipper coils, but survive, while an Addams suffers lock-on and coil burnout, with transistor damage.

I had an issue with my Getaway HS2 this weekend. The upper right flipper fuse kept blowing, seemed the flipper power was permenantly on.

Guessed it was a bad TIP - so read up on the schematic to check which TIP's control each flipper. It also dawned on me that 1 of the 4 flippers the Fliptronics II board support was not used (only 3 flippers on HS2).

So I managed to swap the bad TIP (Upper Right), with the onboard spare (Upper Left).

For those in similar situations - attached is a chart I created to map the components used per flipper.

For you curious ones... Is was the TIP36C on Upper Right (Q2) that failed, so took Q1 and popped it into Q2 location.

I'll add some spare TIP36C to my next parts order.

Hope others find this helpful.
Thank you very much! Excellent sheet for the transistor locations for each component!

Back
Top Bottom