What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper strength question

domlouis

Registered
Hello,
Just a silly question really. I have a Gottlieb Excalibur (a 4-flipper game) where all 4 flippers are a bit weak, and so is the unique pop bumper. If you know the game, there is a big ramp in the middle and i can only just make it with the bottom flipper. Shall i be replacing all solenoids to new ones (i suspect the ones in there have been there since 1988 when the game was made) or is there something else i ought to check first? Like a low voltage/current being supplied to the solenoids which would be the source of the weak flippers/bumper?
And if i go down the route of replacing the solenoids, anything i need to replace at the same time?
Thank you.
Dom

I personally wouldn't change the coils yet. Voltage check at the flipper coils and pop bumpers would be first thing to look at.
Do you have the schematic?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Yes i do have the original manual with the schematic. I'll do that first.

^^ this exactly. Unless the voltage is weak, I'd be looking at rebuilding the mechs. Linkages become loose, coil stops become mushroomed, and sleeves get muck in them (or overheat and get warped) which slow the movement of the plunger.

With the pops, all the same things apply, but then additionally the yokes tend to have a lifespan whereby the break and weaken the movement. Pops can also suffer if the spoon is misaligned, or the leaf switch is set too wide.

Last edited:
Thank you guys, i'll start with checking voltages and see where this takes me. I have never disassembled a flipper mechanism so it will be an interesting exercise if i end up doing it.

There is a fix to make the flippers more powerful on Gottliebs.
@Poibug is the person to ask, he has done it on some of his machines.

Right so I checked the voltage out of the power board to the coils and the schematics show it as 24V DC and i am measuring 36V ???
Not sure what happened there 🤔
But I followed the advice that it is probably the mechanisms. And I cleaned one up quickly and it is already noticeably better. So i will strip them down and service them. Whats best to use for metal mechanisms?

You can tap the tranny.
Ie set it at say 210 instead of 220.it's just changing jumper in a molex
You will get approx 1v extra on the flipper.
I would personally only do this as a last resort, after rebuilding mechs etc.
It had to be done to make the ramp on my robo war.
If you do, obviously recheck your 5v out the power supply, and bear in mind all output voltages will slightly increase

No load voltages tend to be higher so I wouldn't worry about it.
Cleaning the parts will help but at the very least I would replace the coil sleeves and file/clean the EOS switch and make sure it is gapped correctly. Also check the plunger and link (the bit that slides in and out of the coil) for excessive play.
Would probably consider a mini re-build kit just for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom