What's new

flipper question

Punk Stig

Registered
Hey guys,
Had a couple of niggling noticeable problems on my JD right main flipper, like not returning to lower position fully.
When moving it by hand it was definitely not smooth so I took it apart and cleaned the plunger etc
Put it back together and had a much smoother movement, but still not the same as the left.
Now, it all works as needed- no noticeable strength loss compared to the left, but what's bugging me now is it doesn't flip as high as the left, only by a few mm, but annoyingly noticeable, am I looking at a rebuild kit or is there something specific that would cause this?

yep what Carl said. someone has replaced one end stop (the one that doesn't go up so high) so you need to replace the other one i expect.

Sounds like a rebuild I am afraid

To get matching flipper angles at rest and when in "hold" you need equal wear in the mechs and ideally no wear. Coil stops wear. The nylon links wear (hole widens). The plungers wear. So if any parts of the flippers have been replaced on one side and not the other you get a mismatch.

The good news is that a rebuild can transform the flippers.

Well, due to the right side not moving as freely as the left a rebuild kit will be on the cards, however, after having a quick look the coils are fitted in opposite directions- when I get time I'll turn the right around as its that one that's different to the diagram!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

after having a quick look the coils are fitted in opposite directions- when I get time I'll turn the right around as its that one that's different to the diagram

That shouldn't make any difference to the flipper operation, the only arguement about which way around the coils go ( that I have ever seen anyway ) is that the soldered connections should not be at the coil stop end but thats purely because thats where most of the vibration is when the plunger slams into the endstop, therefore connections more likely to break off if the coil is that way around. Obviously you'll want to turn the one that is incorrect, just don't expect any change to flipper performance.

OK, so, as already said a rebuild kit will be ordered shortly!
Just looked at turning the coil around however the solenoid bracket does not have a recess for the solenoid locating pin. So does that mean the solenoid is actually in the correct position with the connections at the coil stop end or is it the wrong bracket?
uploadfromtaptalk1457271399952.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Hi,

The coil support bracket shown in the picture doesn't look like an original-spec item. The 'proper' bracket had square corners and three cut-outs, so that the flipper coil could also be fitted with the terminals facing to either side if necessary, e.g. on Black Knight 2000.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom