What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper bobble/jump

Marvello

Site Supporter
Alias
Marv
I've got a small issue with the right flipper on my Spider-man when the ball arrives at it from the inlane. When the ball arrives at the base of the flipper there is a small bobble/jump as the flipper seems slightly lower down than the end of the inlane plastics. This affects the timing of the shot, very off-putting. There doesn't seem to be much room for movement in either the inlane or flipper, although I have not tried loosening the flipper bolts to try to move it. Is there an easy adjustment I can make? Are flipper rubbers all the same thickness?

Last edited:
All you can do I believe is try lossening the inlane plastic securing screws and forcing it into the position you want and re-tightening them, the same with the flipper base. Obviously theres only so much movement. Is the through playfield flipper bushing worn?

These little things can be annoying, especially if you are a little ocd like myself and want everything to be perfect, which it never will be! :confused:

Not sure what a playfield flipper bushing is? I've tried moving the inlane but it didn't want to move enough, might try moving the flipper but I don't want to make a small issue into a large one. It isn't so much OCD, more that the jump/bobble affects the timing of the shot as it isn't consistent. I'm blaming it for my low scores...

Not sure what a playfield flipper bushing is?...

The nylon bush that the flipper bat shaft goes through. They aren't part of the normal rebuild kit but I always replace them when rebuilding ( they are only pence! ). Sometimes they are worn meaning there's play around the flipper shaft, sometimes they are completely broken which you may not notice until you remove the flipper baseplate. Anyway, worn or broken bushings could result in the flipper bat sitting out of position.

Ah OK, thanks. The flippers were rebuilt before I bought it a few weeks ago so that probably isn't the issue.

Fair enough, like I said though they aren't part of rebuild kits so probably 90% of people don't replace them when rebuilding.

Thanks Chris. The ball is too fast to notice in a video. Not sure if the photo is of any use as it looks straight to the eye, but it is just enough difference to make it jump slightly when it rol!s over the gap. Not a big issue but if there is a tweak to make it smoother then I will try it.

Attachments

• 20160306_190735.jpg
    20160306_190735.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 28
is the plastic ball guide before the flipper 100% level? I had a TZ with one rail that was slightly higher at the end because the post was screwed a bit off and had gripped at the playfield, not the dimpled hole level. I simply unscrewed it, wiggled/reseated, and then screwed back together.

not sure if SM has dimpled holes for the post.

I've loosened the lane guide screws and levelled it the best it will let me. I've also swapped the left and right rubbers over and will try new ones. Will see how it goes, thanks all!

I'll look at the flipper from underneath if it becomes too much of an issue. Tried filming it but it wasn't noticeable as the ball moves too fast. It is only a very small issue, but just enough to make me mis-time my shots sometimes. I can't use that excuse on the left flipper though. Due to my room layout I have to slide one table to the side so I can line the other up with the kitchen door frame to slide the glass out, PITA. Lift up glass like on Full Throttle would be ideal for me. Would be an even bigger PITA if I get a third table.

I'll look at the flipper from underneath if it becomes too much of an issue. Tried filming it but it wasn't noticeable as the ball moves too fast. It is only a very small issue, but just enough to make me mis-time my shots sometimes. I can't use that excuse on the left flipper though. Due to my room layout I have to slide one table to the side so I can line the other up with the kitchen door frame to slide the glass out, PITA. Lift up glass like on Full Throttle would be ideal for me. Would be an even bigger PITA if I get a third table.
I have the same glass space issues, on all 3 games in the house. The garden pin room will be designed with this fundamental requirement solved!

Back
Top Bottom