What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flickering LED downlights

domlouis

Registered
Hello
NOT pinball related but I figured out some on here are bound to have some experience of this.
I have decided to replace many of our halogen bulbs with LED in the house. These are mainly of the GU5.3 type (two pins) and hence the installation of each bulb has a small transformer to go from 240v to 12v. We have about 20 of them in various rooms. All as downlighters with the transformer hidden in the ceiling and hence not easily accessible.
Anyway, I bought some LEDs on Amazon which I thought would replace the halogen bulbs nicely. I installed them but I didn't change the transformers.
And then I turned them on and discovered the issue of flickering LEDs. Read up a bit on the Internet and it is a common problem. But thought this might be a better place to come for advice.
So here it is: any advice on how to get rid of LED flickering light problems? Ideally not a solution that involves changing all the transformers as this would be a pain in the back side.
Thanks
Dom

Remove transformers and add GU10 holders, have done about 60 odd so far in the house, have a probably a dozen more to go, very cheap to do (50 holders for £29.99 on Amazon)

Huge saving in watts

What they said - alternatively buy better quality LEDs like the ones megaman makes but even then the LEDs are likely to accelerate the failure of the transformers (happened to me). it’s easy to swap them out and as Ian says will save you loads. I’ve been slowly swapping them in my house - one left to go!

Back
Top Bottom