What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flaking backglass preservation?

AlanJ

Site Supporter
Alias
Alan
Got a flaking backglass on my Dealer's Choice EM - what's the best way to stabilise it so that it doesn't flake any further, please?

IMG_9381.JPG IMG_9382.JPG

I would use Krylon Triple Thick.

Cut little pieces of card to go over clear score windows and put small weight on each. Clean them first obviously!

Lots of videos how to apply.

Mustn't be too cold or hot - ideally 55 - 75 degrees.

If done well, it will keep the glass from deteriorating for next 30 plus years.

Only thing to be wary of is after doing this, don't let glass be stored in very cold conditions as the ink and triple thick can react.

Way better than using mylar which goes yellow over time.

Once done, easy to touch up the grey areas. Almost impossible to touch up white areas although some use glass translucent paint - can experiment as can wipe off.

I followed Clays guide referenced above to the letter to restore my EM backglass from "trashed" to "useable". I was relaxed about it, as like for you an alternative is available from bgresto that I'll probably go for at some point.
http://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/rocket-iii-backglass.37812/

My main learnings were, touching up the opaque areas is straightforward just work on colour matching your acrylics. For me, don't even attempt tranluscent touch-ups they look dreadful once lit from behind. Saying that the theatre gel can really soften the impact of cracks in these areas, a pack of mixed colour strips is readily available on eBay (good to colour Orange DMDs too!)

For the reasons above I sealed using a readily available acrylic sealer, but this company stocks krylon and used to sell TT on eBay so worth checking with them - https://www.pondskippercrafts.co.uk/

Last edited:
i used it years ago the krylon and it was really good,,need another doing and looked a few months ago and cant remember how much but it was really expensive...will split a can if you find one

As above. I’ve used Krylon Triple Thick and been very happy with the results...also followed Clay’s tutorials. As Clay says, only time will tell how this process ages but so far so good. Also be aware that there is another Krylon spray that is NOT Triple Thick, so don’t buy that in error. Best of luck.

Thanks everyone, I've ordered some cans of Krylon triple Thick from USA. I've got various acrylic paints so may was well have a go on the backglass as well as the playfield!

Back
Top Bottom