What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixing a Batman Joker Motor & Gearbox Mech

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
So i got myself a new game recently - Stern Batman TDK. Nice condition overall, but with a couple of niggles to solve. Just the way i like it.

So first up was sorting the joker mechanism.

When first plugged in the mechanism was in the city scene position in game over not the joker toy position and playing a game did not seem to make any difference the position of the device. A quid inspection of the mechanism underneath, wiring , running the device test and checking things with a mutlimeter continuity test identified what looked like a burnt out motor :(

Also, on removal of the mech it became clear that the gearbox and motor are 1 unit, with the motor being fastened internally within the gearbox and the gearbox itself blind riveted together.

IMG_3571.jpg

Checking Marco brought up this : http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/511-5131-00. Joker indeed!

So, after studying the mech for a little longer i began to wonder if the motor itself was the same type as used in other williams mechs from the 90s. Another unknown due to the rivetingness was the size and number of teeth of the motor pinion. I decided to have a rummage through my spares and found a NOS whitewater bigfoot mech. Checking the motor on this looked to be the same dimensions :), so i unbolted this one and had this

IMG_3574.JPG

The only thing left to do now was to inspect the internals of the joker gearbox and see if the gears were ok and what the pinion looked like.

Drilled the 4 rivets out and plenty opened the gearbox casing, being very careful not to pull out and gears in the process so i could see it all in place and snap a quick photo for reference.

IMG_3572.JPG IMG_3573.JPG

Amazingly the pinion and mounting holes for the motor were the same and the gears were all in nice shape. I removed the 2 gears above the motor and unbolted it, then bolted in the new motor

IMG_3576.jpg

I then replaced the 2 gears, and also spread the grease around a little more evenly as there were large blobs of it not doing anything.

Now the gearbox was back together but i needed to find some nuts and bolts to hold it all tightly now the rivets were gone. M3 25mm looked to be the job, but could i find any?? Could i $%^$%^. So I had to leave it until the following morning, where i paid a quick visit to my local nut and bolt shop (yes, i have one just up the road!!)

IMG_3580.jpg

Now it was all back together i gave it a quick test on the bench using a 12v supply and it all worked lovely. :)

I reassembled the opto board and then reattached it to the game.

IMG_3581.JPG IMG_3582.JPG

Job Done :)

Here's a quick video of my first game start!

Attachments

• IMG_3571.jpg
    IMG_3571.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3579.jpg
    IMG_3579.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 2
Nice work. I have Daz's Tommy and the mirror motor is failing due to fear slippage. Do you now have any spare gears?

Nice work. I have Daz's Tommy and the mirror motor is failing due to fear slippage. Do you now have any spare gears?

'Fear Slippage' sounds nasty!! ;)

I didn't take the whitewater gearbox part apart as i only needed the motor. Not sure what size the gears inside are, finding something that matches for gears may be tricky.

Yes, I think it would take a lot of luck to find matching gears.
If all our fears slipped away, the world might be a better place.
If I proof read my posts better, they might not be at all interesting. ;)

Back
Top Bottom