What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Fixed] MM flipper rebuild help please

bethamari

Registered
Hey all,

Hope everyone is well! Myself and Kelauce are new to the forum after picking up an awesome SS from Shaunyboy - thanks!

We've since picked up an MM via the forum which is a beauty but needed it's flippers fixing, and we could do with a bit of advice please.

We removed the right flipper to replace the coil and sleeve. Both flippers need replacing but we've just done one for now. If you move the replaced one by hand it moves around well and feels like our SS - the other sticks. But with power back on, pressing the button has no effect on the flipper (though it does change the lane change).

I've uploaded a photo.

Any advice on why this isn't working for us so far or anything I can try would be very mucb appreciated! We were hoping to be able to play it this weekend :)

Attachments

• 20161020_194723.jpg
    20161020_194723.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 29
  • 20161020_194728.jpg
    20161020_194728.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 26
With the game in switch test mode, does it register the flipper button being pressed? Also, did you have the coin door closed when tested you're rebuilt flipper...it needs to be so that the high voltage is engaged?

Just tried switch test on the flippers (thanks for the door tip!). In flipper coil test menu on our SS it moves the flippers but on the MM nothing happens for either flipper.

Might not be the whole problem but you don't have the right hand coil installed correctly. Looks like the coil sleeve is in backwards. Remove the coil and slide the coil sleeve in from the tabbed end. The sleeve will protrude at the other end. This bit will locate nicely into the fixed coil bracket. There should be no gap between the coil and bracket. My guess is that everything is mis aligned so unable to freely move.

Might not be the whole problem but you don't have the right hand coil installed correctly. Looks like the coil sleeve is in backwards. Remove the coil and slide the coil sleeve in from the tabbed end. The sleeve will protrude at the other end. This bit will locate nicely into the fixed coil bracket. There should be no gap between the coil and bracket. My guess is that everything is mis aligned so unable to freely move.
Ahh thanks! We'll give that a go, good spot thank you. It does seem to move around okay hand but that could be it.

Do you run pinparts by the way? If so that's where I just picked up the coils and some pingulps from :D

Just tried switch test on the flippers (thanks for the door tip!). In flipper coil test menu on our SS it moves the flippers but on the MM nothing happens for either flipper.

Ignore flipper test for now. Go into test 1, switch edges. Press each flipper button. Two squares should appear for each flipper button pressed (you'll get three when the flippers work) . Do you get these responses?

Ignore flipper test for now. Go into test 1, switch edges. Press each flipper button. Two squares should appear for each flipper button pressed (you'll get three when the flippers work) . Do you get these responses?
We've got the sleeve in properly now. But it's not working yet.

Ran the switch edges test on the SS and MM and they both show two squares.

If we lift the flipper during the switch edges mode then one square shows for the left flipper but nothing registers for the right (swapped one).

Ok. So you the switches work. The third switch is not critical at this time. Sounds like you have lost voltage. Have you checked the fuses in the back box? Did the flippers ever work since you've had it?

@pinballmania checked the back board and it looks like 2 of the 4 flipper fuses have blown. They say T4AL250V on them, which finds fuses in Google but not Maplins. Anyone able to advise what their equivalent is please? If so it means we could potentially pick some up today :)

Thanks for the breakdown explanation, that makes a lot of sense! I think it is 4 Amps we need, here's a photo of the guide on the backbox

Attachments

• 20161021_082218.jpg
    20161021_082218.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 10
This is a potentially silly question, but are these what I need? 4A, time delay, description says 250V: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4a-time-delay-glass-20mm-fuse-10-pack-n98jc

It's just the photo of inside the fuse looks a bit different to the ones in the machine seem to have a thin straight line of metal, whereas that stock photo on the site looks slightly different.

Not at 20mm you don't as they won't fit the fuse holder, you need long ones... 31 or 32mm (which probably works out at 1.25 inches). Don't worry about appearance of fuses in photos, there's lots of different looking types that do the same job.

It might be best to ask Andy @pinballmania for them, they'll arrive in tomorrow's post if you catch him early enough today.

The ones you linked to will do. I fear though that when a fuse has blown you may have a deeper problem.

You still haven't said whether these flippers have ever worked in your possession. I ask because it's good to know whether it's a problem that a previous owner couldn't resolve or whether it's something you have done.

The left flipper button was pressed and the flipper lifted slightly but stuck. The machine was used at an event, where they took a bit of hammer. They were going to be replaced but the coil didn't turn up in time when we went with the van for collection.

Just picked up the 20mm ones during lunch, had one with me so could double check sizing :)

Ok. So could just be fuse fatigue. Especially if there were inexperienced / children there who constantly flip for no good reason.

If the event you mention was Play Expo in Manchester recently then maybe someone on here you went and was helping fix games may have more info of what's wrong with it? I didn't look at this game while there so don't know myself but with it being an MM then I'm sure someone would have tried to have got it working :thumbs:

If the event you mention was Play Expo in Manchester recently then maybe someone on here you went and was helping fix games may have more info of what's wrong with it? I didn't look at this game while there so don't know myself but with it being an MM then I'm sure someone would have tried to have got it working :thumbs:

Nah there was only 1 and it was an mmr on phils stand

So we've changed the two blown fuses but we're still having no luck getting the flippers to respond when pressed. Any ideas of what we could try next please? Thanks!

New fuses we've fitted are fine. We did a double check after fitting them and retrying the flippers.

Have you got the coin door closed when you are trying the flippers ?

Yup! Going to try resoldering the yellow/orange/red wires (maybe tomorrow now) back on to the coil to see if that helps

Back
Top Bottom