What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FIXED: Data East DMD Driver faulty PAL?

BomberHQ

Site Supporter
Alias
Bomber
Folks,

I have a faulty DMD board (520-5055-00) which is probably best demonstrated by a video ...

When fully cold the corruption starts after a couple of minutes. When warm it starts after a few seconds. The display locks up or blanks completely after a few more seconds.

I have a spare working board so I am sure its not the PSU, CPU, DMD or cables.
Nothing on the board is getting over-warm.
I have touched up all the solder joints.
Ive put a scope on the crystal oscillator and its working fine.
Unfortunately I dont have a logic analyzer, so cant get into the 0s and 1s

When I put localised heat from a heat gun over U16, a PAL16L8, it seems to accelerate the fault, so Im going to start there ...

Does anyone have a copy of the code in this PAL?
Does anyone have experience fixing other faults with this board before I start taking it apart?

Thanks for any help!

Kevin.

Attachments

• Test.mp4
    33.6 MB
Update: After hours trawling the 'net I finally found the JEDEC files on ipdb.org :rolleyes:
Time to find some PAL equivalents to program with the trusty TL866II Plus ...

interesting, looking forward how this turns out. Should be able to program these if you run into issues. Could also lend you a LA if needed.

Well, after an adventure into PAL programming (a rabbit hole as it turned out!) I invested in some freezer spray, which worked a lot better than trying to apply local heat.

U18 74LS374 was the cause - corrupting the data bus. Replaced with a 74HCT374 as the LS wasnt available. Its adjacent to the PAL!

Incidentally, when I was a young engineer freezer spray used to cost about £5 a can, but ambersil is nearer £30 now! Thankfully Rapid do what seems to be an equivalent for a fiver!

Good thing you found it. Learning about PALs surely didn't hurt :)...

Good thing you found it. Learning about PALs surely didn't hurt :)...
Yes, fascinating ... I can prevaricate for hours over anything technical, so learning how to reverse engineer and program PLDs was a bonus! I really appreciate the amazing work others do to keep pinball and other retro electronics working.

Downside (financially) is I now have an IR camera on order - it was just too tempting!

You won't regret it. Bought a Fluke Ti480Pro myself at some point as that does everything from finding underfloor heating to broken components and will last me the rest of my life.

Back
Top Bottom