What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitting Insider kit to coin door.

Colywobbles

Banned
Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
So I’ve just taken delivery of 2 insider kits thx to @philpalmer at P.H. 👍
However I’m not only too keen in losing one of my lit up art windows in my apron or the fact the way they shine straight upward and play havoc with my OCD! Hence I have made up a workaround to install in the coin return via a simple laser cut adapter.
Bear in mind this is WIP as I have to update my code before setting it all up tomorrow but at least I managed to get the tricky bit finished off tonight, fitting aforementioned adaptor.

Some pics

BA639C1A-79BA-42AE-803D-A15652D74B98.jpeg9724A870-834B-4A75-9733-2D49396043BF.jpeg6F769B16-68CF-4AE8-8706-25579E1E1637.jpegADC55B61-4148-490A-B849-9011B090B282.jpeg6153E1D6-C8B1-4717-9205-87620241CF74.jpeg

Quite happy as it looks neat and probably even more so once lit up.

Maybe not for everyone as it does require unplugging The node link cable if you want to lift your PF to work under there, but it is simply done via coindoor so doesn’t bother me.

I’ll update progress late tomorrow as I’m out all day doing RL stuff.

Attachments

• 48CD3AF2-06E6-499C-9705-5700CC331BC6.jpeg
    48CD3AF2-06E6-499C-9705-5700CC331BC6.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 5
for everyone as it does require unplugging The node link cable if you want to lift your PF to work under there, but it is simply done via coindoor so doesn’t bother me.

Nice job Col but get a longer cable and run it to the spare connector on the bottom of the main board in the head instead of the node board under the playfield. Much neater and you can lift the playfield without unplugging.

I like the way you thinking :thumbs:
I guess they are just a standard RJ45 cable then and much like a network can plug into any Node board?

I like the way you thinking :thumbs:
I guess they are just a standard RJ45 cable then and much like a network can plug into any Node board?
Correct but when it comes to the main board only the connectors on the lower edge, not the others on top as you'll blow something up apparently. Cables are rj45 network cables. I'm sure @Neil McRae or @Fubar will post the technical difference shortly.

Correct but when it comes to the main board only the connectors on the lower edge, not the others on top as you'll blow something up apparently. Cables are rj45 network cables. I'm sure @Neil McRae or @Fubar will post the technical difference shortly.
Thanks for the tip :)

Cables are actually Cat5 or Cat6. RJ45 refers to the connector. LAN Ethernet (1000BASE-T and co) is the most common application.

Node bus uses the same cables and connectors, but drives different signals. In particular a 9VDC rail, which would likely fry any ethernet device you wired to it (only expects 4V or so). It could also damage the node bus device.

The spike2 CPU board has 3 node bus connectors together at the bottom, and 1 ethernet port at the top by the SD card.

To Col's original question, yes as Kev said you can grab any suitable network cable and use that from the coin door to the backbox. Any of the 3 node bus ports on the CPU will do (they're all bridged together).

just make sure it isn't one of those flat ethernet cables as they tend to be affected by the noise of the game.

Neil.

Col can you post a pick of what it looks like inside the coin door please?

Neil.

Poor man's way I know but I've now got my GZ scanner connected to 4 other machines using a 4 port and 2 port switch. Cost about £100 total Inc all cables, WiFi dongles and micro SD cards ( would cost nearly 1k for 4 connected kits ). Obviously I can only use the scanner with one machine at a time but 99% of the time there's only 1 machine being played here anyway.
IMG_20220511_174354.jpgIMG_20220511_174402.jpg

Looks great, what's the crack with this insider connected? worth the money? (for a casual player)

Looks good Col:

its not worth £200 a machine no. But if you do what Kevlar has done and use one on multiple machines then yeah its cool for Cheevo's assuming Stern will shortly announce the next phase of this hopefully before expo then it might be more interesting.

Cheers,
Neil.

I’m an old school Gamer that loves achievements and currently doing a Platinum run on Elden Ring.
It actually makes me want to play the pin more to complete the achievements giving you something to go for other than a billon score plus.
Is it worth £220? For me yes as they will be removed and fitted to an incoming pin much like I do with Invisiglass, Shaker and a ColourDMD where possible.
I now have 2 of them which I can move around at will plus GZ came with the insider LE Apron but that will never leave here anyways.

Thx Phil
TBH I’ve just connected to the PF node board suggested in the kit. It’s not ideal but these newer spike 2’s rarely have their Bonnet up.
However yep it would be a good option 🙏

just note latest stern games are coming with a different UK coin door.

Neil.
I know and it moneys with my coin plaques however all new pins have insider pre fitted anyway so my FOC coin version won’t be needed unless fitting to a pre insider pin.

*FOC = free of charge. Just pay postage. This won’t include the outer plaque just the inside coin door bits

Looks like there might be a plate you could remove?41976CE1-F4B5-4159-A690-5D94C06DFA8B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom