What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First pin possibly !

Cryptkeeper

Registered
5Years
Alias
RingSting
Going to see a tales form the crypt tomorrow!
What sort of coin should I be willing to spend if its mint?
What should I look out for in general?
Also
Would it fit in my estate car?
back seats removed so its more of a van!

I've owned a good few vids over the years but no idea about pins.
Thanks

Dave

TFTC should be no more than £1000 even in perfect peachy condition. Watch out for the one on eBay that keeps getting relisted, avoid.

With cars it's all about the height at the back from top to bottom with boot open. My Jazz can fit almost anything but a friend once turned up with an estate and he had to loosen and slide the head down to fit it in.

There is a file of pins vs cars. What car is it?

Cheers!
It's an astra. I think it'll fit!
Hopefully it's up to scratch and it's not an eBay one!

Does it have the topper?
Is the door knob shooter button there? It is often broken off.
Make sure the tombstone target works. Motors get expensive to replace.
Wear at the Creature Feature mode star hole.
Backbox lighting seems to almost always have some type of issue as well.

Being cynical it won't be mint. None of them are.:p

Price range £800-£1000 I would have thought.

Ah, we can all remember our first or the first we saw to buy but she got away. That feeling as the seller is trying to tell you the history and all you want to do is play the thing.
The seller can smell your excitement so try to keep cool. I would say that playfield is the most important thing, if you don't like the look of it, it will be costly and difficult to replace. Then check everything works and is not broken, Paul has given good advice.
Ask to look in the back box for board damage hacks. Look under the playfield for similar things. Look at the screws holding things in and see if they are bodged.
All these things just give you an understanding of how well looked after it has been, take the price CoolDan has suggested and then work out your price from there.
Another one will come up though if you are in RoI there might be less than the UK and EU.

Its not that one that's been on eBay for the last six months is it? Think there's a thread about that one somewhere...

If not, so far as I'm aware TFTC is definitely a sub-1k machine (possible exception for an actual mint resto job, but even then maybe not). It definitely seems on the low end of "popular" so far as I can tell (Never owned on myself though).

Things I'd look out for:

- Credit dot. Bad sign but could be nothing. If there is one, what does the fault menu say when you go in the menu system? "Date/ Time not set" - Ok, no problem. "Check Totally unobtainable or expensive mechanical part" - Bad.

- Original "Door knocker" ball launcher & topper (See pic).

- Playfield wear. Especially in drop holes or down side lanes where ball drops from ramp onto playfield just above flippers.

- Plays well. If they won't let you play some games on it but insist its in "Full working order" WALK AWAY!, whatever reasons they give you. If you know the game, try and get a go-round of all features and at least one multiball (if it has them) to make sure everything works as expected.

- Check in the back cabinet - Is there any sign of leakage from the AA batteries? (Ask when they were last changed for bonus points). Also check the boards for any sign of "repairs" while you're in there. Anything you can obviously tell is not from the board manufacture should make you nervous, unless you're experienced in circuit board repair (I'm not so I assume any I can see are bodge repair jobs). "I don't have the keys for the backbox" is an incredibly bad sign as an excuse to not let you in there.

- Lift the playfield (or if not confident, get them to take the glass off and do it). Do the electrics look in decent shape? Is there a rats nest in there? Are any under playfield ramps so dirty you can't see inside them?

To help with most of the above I'd recommend checking out the IPDB for pics of a good condition machine and playfield. Expect similar quality and adjust price accordingly if anythings missing/ worn/ faded.

Best thing you can take is someone who's in the scene already and knows their way around a pin. If you don't know one personally, ask on here - You may get an offer of assistance from a local pinhead.

Final piece of advice - If you're not totally sure. Leave it, there will always be another.

Best of luck.

Rog

Back
Top Bottom