What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Partial Restoration (Royal guard)

Is the score motor running? Or is there just no response to the credit button? Manually increment a score reel off zero , and press the credit button. What happens?

Thx for the replies guys.... :thumbs:

After the advice I've been given I've got it to reset but the one problem left I now know is the ball count wire, sometimes it does register but mostly it doesn't...
When it flicks ball onto launch lane it doesn't always alter ball in play number, but if I touch contacts it works straight away?
I've set contacts but it's as tho there's a lag time between ball being flicked over to it accepting the next command?

Could it be a slow relay after ball is kicked over?

In an e/m game, it's okay to use a small contact file to restore a good connection on the contact points. Electronic games use gold-plated contacts (except for high current uses like flipper circuits), but even on those cleaning the points would still be the first thing to try for an intermittent rollover switch like this. The different response between operating the wireform and the contacts themselves suggests to me that there's something odd there.

Otherwise, you'd need to follow the circuit for the 'Advance Ball Count' solenoid across the drawing, also checking the circuit for any relay-operated switch involved, such as an 'Adv. Ball Count Relay' (if there is one), i.e. the runway switch might operate the ABC solenoid directly, or it might switch a relay, which operates the solenoid. From what I remember of a Gottlieb wedgehead I once owned, the motor isn't used to advance the ball count (not from the runway switch, anyway). If there is a relay, you'd see/hear it working when the contacts do close properly.

In fact, the solenoid can't only be operated by the runway switch; when the last ball drains the solenoid's supposed to operate from the outhole switch to go into Game Over. AFAIR the motor's used to do this. My wedgehead had worn contacts on the ball count units' wiper disc, and it would kick the outhole again, with the runway switch putting it into Game Over.

Last edited:
Another issue?? Or is it?
Once it goes onto special mode it never goes back out until the game ends?
I keep getting a crazy amount of replays when the ball hits virtually any of the targets.
Also at a loss at what the 0-9 unit does?

These bloody machines are frustrating!

The 0 to 9 unit operates the supposedly random 'Match' feature. On some games (e.g. Magic City) it's roped in for other purposes, but the main task is providing the match number.

The 0 to 9 unit operates the supposedly random 'Match' feature. On some games (e.g. Magic City) it's roped in for other purposes, but the main task is providing the match number.
Thx for that JW, I never noticed the replay on the number corresponding from the unit reel matching the bottom. .... Duh!!

Getting there now with restoration... Well chuffed with it.. :clap:
Got all bumper lights working, broken connections below on the neutral wires. (So many learning curves) :thumbs:

i278.photobucket.com_albums_kk105_BarnsleyBrewer_Mobile_20Uplo3032d23bbdc7bf6d9d09adb43a3373d2.jpg

Reactions: JT.
I just noticed that it's got more modern 'ribbed' legs. D'you find it stands a bit low for comfort? Since the older Gottlieb cabinets were shallower, they used to have longer (31") legs.

Seems ok? I got the same length that were on when I got it.. 28".
The ones that were on were rusty so I thought I was buying the same with these new shiny ones from Andy at Pinball Mania.
I did see those at 31" but I assumed they were for more modern machines.

Back
Top Bottom