What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress First house & Pinroom, advice appreciated - this is all your fault! (2023 update!)

David_Vi

Site Supporter
Alias
DaveTheTrain
Update!
This thread is OLD, I wasn't sure whether to make a new thread but thought it would be nice to see where I started and how things escalated...
Please jump to my 2023 post in this thread for the actual state of things and any new questions.
Since this thread I had a doorway installed from the hall, filled the room with pins and ran 4 competitions. Finally the room is going to get the makeover it's needed.
2023 restart:
https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...ated-this-is-all-your-fault.46623/post-530335

Original post below..

Things in my life have escalated rather fast in the last year… just over a year ago I rediscovered pinball, involving trips to Flip Out, Pinfest and the forever helpful @MajesticPinball 's ****ty tournament (his title not mine). In fact at the last visit to Flip out just before it closed we had a chat with @Mike Kindler about wanting to own a pin and especially a Road Show, he was kind to look up the manual and dimensions for potential door widths. I would have never thought the next time id get to play pinball would be in my own place!

I have been saving for a house deposit for the past ⅘ years but wasn't in a rush. When pinball entered my life it was the motivation I needed. I had my heart set on owning my first home and having a pin in it as my housewarming, (even more specific a Road Show, see how particular I am? )

In February i started looking and didn't really want to leave Colchester but none of the properties appeared to have enough room for pinball. So I looked further out to Sudbury (increasing my commute from 10 to 30mins😳😲) and found a house with converted garage that happened to be owned by someone at work (pure chance!).

My DIY skills involve flat pack furniture and minor jobs. But this house requires so much work we weren't aware of beforehand so my budget plan has taken a hit, as well as having to learn as I go. Nearly every room needs work.

I'm a very particular person, I like things to be right. But when it comes to owning a home and pins I'm clueless.

So as I hold this great community responsible for me buying a first home with the capability of owning pins I would like your help and advice.

Ok So here it is, the side room/extension/ex garage thing, it has a front door which at first appeared useful for pins but I believe it's far too narrow so they'll have to make their way through the house and around.

20200714_203714.jpg

It has the capacity for 7 pins along the wall with enough room to remove glass. (5.64m x 2.75m)
An electrician is coming later in the week to add new sockets in all the rooms (barring kitchen +utility). I said I'd like four double sockets on that left hand wall (for pins) and one on the right for tools, lamp, future proofing 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Will that be enough and is there anything else I should consider?
I'd like ideas for lighting also while the room is empty. @Neil McRae mentioned track lighting in another thread so i am considering that running front to back where the current light fixture is.
Opinions on this or other ideas?

I'm a total novice and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement.

But here's to the start of a huge adventure because of pinball… people often buy their first home for the intention of having family, not me…

I've got a Road Show and Black Rose en-route, depending on how Martin is working! They'll have to rest in the kitchen for a few weeks by the looks of it. It's nuts what I had set my mind on which I thought was way too specific is actually happening

Last edited:
Things in my life have escalated rather fast in the last year… just over a year ago I rediscovered pinball, involving trips to Flip Out, Pinfest and the forever helpful @MajesticPinball 's ****ty tournament (his title not mine). In fact at the last visit to Flip out just before it closed we had a chat with @Mike Kindler about wanting to own a pin and especially a Road Show, he was kind to look up the manual and dimensions for potential door widths. I would have never thought the next time id get to play pinball would be in my own place!

I have been saving for a house deposit for the past ⅘ years but wasn't in a rush. When pinball entered my life it was the motivation I needed. I had my heart set on owning my first home and having a pin in it as my housewarming, (even more specific a Road Show, see how particular I am? )

In February i started looking and didn't really want to leave Colchester but none of the properties appeared to have enough room for pinball. So I looked further out to Sudbury (increasing my commute from 10 to 30mins😳😲) and found a house with converted garage that happened to be owned by someone at work (pure chance!).

My DIY skills involve flat pack furniture and minor jobs. But this house requires so much work we weren't aware of beforehand so my budget plan has taken a hit, as well as having to learn as I go. Nearly every room needs work.

I'm a very particular person, I like things to be right. But when it comes to owning a home and pins I'm clueless.

So as I hold this great community responsible for me buying a first home with the capability of owning pins I would like your help and advice.

Ok So here it is, the side room/extension/ex garage thing, it has a front door which at first appeared useful for pins but I believe it's far too narrow so they'll have to make their way through the house and around.

View attachment 113675

It has the capacity for 7 pins along the wall with enough room to remove glass. (5.64m x 2.75m)
An electrician is coming later in the week to add new sockets in all the rooms (barring kitchen +utility). I said I'd like four double sockets on that left hand wall (for pins) and one on the right for tools, lamp, future proofing 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Will that be enough and is there anything else I should consider?
I'd like ideas for lighting also while the room is empty. @Neil McRae mentioned track lighting in another thread so i am considering that running front to back where the current light fixture is.
Opinions on this or other ideas?

I'm a total novice and to say I'm overwhelmed is an understatement.

But here's to the start of a huge adventure because of pinball… people often buy their first home for the intention of having family, not me…

I've got a Road Show and Black Rose en-route, depending on how Martin is working! They'll have to rest in the kitchen for a few weeks by the looks of it. It's nuts what I had set my mind on which I thought was way too specific is actually happening
Crappy comp™

As you're well aware I can offer absolutely no home improvement advice at all so I'm technically useless now... However I can't wait to get absolutely wrecked on Punk IPA and get all over that Roadshow! 😂

Can you remove the door temporarily? You may be able to lift the door and remove from hinges. I did that at my previous house and pins did then fit through.

Congrats on your new place :thumbs:
Whats the pin room door opening width ?
Can you remove the door temporarily? You may be able to lift the door and remove from hinges. I did that at my previous house and pins did then fit through.

Food for thought there! Any tips on how to measure the opening?
We haven't moved in yet but I'll try get better pics and measure it properly when I'm there next.
It's not a huge problem as the main door of the house is wider. But quite a journey...

sketch-1594824614298.png

It's definitely narrow though.

Any idea on sockets, it's ok to run potentially 7 pins (way in the future) from four double sockets with a couple extensions?

I ran 14 pins in my garage for months off a single extension lead with a load of other extension leads daisy chained in - not recommended, but I measured the current and it was only a few amps, even when several of the pins were being played!

My only reservation with that( barring the fact of £) is its the front of the house
At least with a narrow door if i get broken into they'll struggle to steal the pins 😂

Maybe some sockets high up on the wall opposite machines for rundmd clock, wall fan etc

Never say never, but it is extremely unlikely that pinball machines will get stolen.

Far too big. Far too heavy. Far too awkward. Requires knowledge to move the things.

If they are inside the house, they will be covered by your household insurance anyway - it is only when you put them in sheds/ outbuildings that you may need to arrange special cover.

If thieves steal your pinball machines, it will only be after the cash/ jewellery/ it/ media/ power tools/ golf clubs ...... have already been taken

Your door needs to be bigger than 74cm wide to get the back box in.

Best thing I ever did was change the hinges on the door so you can lift it straight up and off.

Congrats on the new house and pin room.

Reactions: DRD
Erm open the door and put a tape measure from one side to the other from where the plastic end on one side to where it starts on other :rofl:

or maybe im missing something ???

No, I'm just being too specific, because the door doesn't open as far as you'd think. Plus the handle...
Unless you mean the frame as if removing the door?

ah ok, door doesn't open flat (or near flat) to righthand wall in pic ?
Still measure the ap the door fills as a start, if thats not big enough no point goint any further, but if its a standard door it should be grand size wise

Maybe some sockets high up on the wall opposite machines for rundmd clock, wall fan etc

That's a good shout! I wanted a dmd clock 👍🏻is it possible to mount it so the sockets are hidden?
I'm thinking way into things now 😳

A bit more extreme as a suggestion but maybe worth considering. Whats the point of that narrow door? You have two front doors next to each others? Weird. Block the narrow door. And open an internal door from the bottom of the stairs. And you can make it as wide as you need then.

That's a good shout! I wanted a dmd clock 👍🏻is it possible to mount it so the sockets are hidden?
I'm thinking way into things now 😳
That clock comes with a power adapter so would would need to extend it, easily done. I just have mine mounted above a double socket, looks good enough.

Before my shed, I used to get pins through 74cm doorways by taking off the hinges (3 bolts each side) and then gently turning head a little to the side.. easily done with two people

I use to do the Head Turn to get pins in but if you are changing the line up, think about how you can just sort out the door. Taking the door off is less hassle when the mrs won’t help.
On sockets, give each pin a double was the advice my sparky gave me and I am glad as my current set up has pinball legs in my he way of one of each double. Plus, you can power the soldering iron and inspection lamps that become useful.
You really can’t have too many sockets. My cabin has 14 double sockets and it isn’t enough.

Before my shed, I used to get pins through 74cm doorways by taking off the hinges (3 bolts each side) and then gently turning head a little to the side.. easily done with two people

I've got a feeling it's a lot narrower than that. Unless I can take the door off.
I get the feeling if taking pins though the hall, kitchen and utility I may have to take at least one internal door off.
When they turn up they'll be going in the kitchen in leiu of a dining table for time being anyway. 😆

A bit more extreme as a suggestion but maybe worth considering. Whats the point of that narrow door? You have two front doors next to each others? Weird. Block the narrow door. And open an internal door from the bottom of the stairs. And you can make it as wide as you need then.

Extreme but I have considered it, unfortunately not practical, the pipe work for gas goes up in that location as well as there being a height difference and wanting to keep the spacious hall area.

That clock comes with a power adapter so would would need to extend it, easily done. I just have mine mounted above a double socket, looks good enough.
Just hidden with a bit of trunking then?
A dmd clock would definitely finish the room off!
I think I'd put it on the end wall rather than opposite pins so it's in your peripheral rather than behind you.

I use to do the Head Turn to get pins in but if you are changing the line up, think about how you can just sort out the door. Taking the door off is less hassle when the mrs won’t help.
On sockets, give each pin a double was the advice my sparky gave me and I am glad as my current set up has pinball legs in my he way of one of each double. Plus, you can power the soldering iron and inspection lamps that become useful.
You really can’t have too many sockets. My cabin has 14 double sockets and it isn’t enough.

So you mean literally one pin plugged into a double socket leaving the other vacant for other things, but not another pin?
Is that because it's more practical or best practice because of load?

Cheers all!

I’m an electrician, good enough I think. Plus sockets about a metre or so up for pins.You can never have enough sockets.

Attachments

• 84830B4E-839C-4CBD-9231-2BC268695E9F.jpeg
    84830B4E-839C-4CBD-9231-2BC268695E9F.jpeg
    43.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 61AD6C96-79B7-437E-A1D5-ED1AB2FE0AF2.jpeg
    61AD6C96-79B7-437E-A1D5-ED1AB2FE0AF2.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 52
Ah that winning combination of pink and purple. You can't beat it haha.

Honestly mate, just squeeze the pins in any which way you can just now. Two new pins will keep you busy for a long while and by the looks of that house, it will be a huge development over a number of years. Focus on the rest of the place as pins will always be here when you finish it.
You are doing the right thing. It is a huge achievement to do up a house. No matter what skill level you are.
I know a few people who have dozens of machines and they still rent a property. Puzzles me why folk would do that.

Good luck with it all

Back
Top Bottom