What's new

Fireing up a pin....

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Question - What happens if you Fire up a Pin with no PF attached... I.e. Not connected. What does it do?

Want to Test the boardset fires up in TAF to check (as far as possible) all is ok without yet connecting the PF - Is this possible???

Nothing different Mate. Booted up as usual and threw up the last opto fault it had with the playfield connected. I was able to check all the switches in the cabinet and install the new dmd.

How reductionist could you be? What's the minimum amount of boards etc needed for a safe boot up?

Could you do transformer, secondary, mpu and driver?

So lemme try and get nerdy on this - bally power module (rectifier) on the bottom right, so this is a late 80s bally setup. Then along the top (I'm guessing here) we have sounds, display, lamps, MPU and solenoid drivers?

If you removed the sound, lamp and solenoid boards here, would you still get a boot up and see the display?

sorry to hijack your thread @Paul :-/

If you removed the sound, lamp and solenoid boards here, would you still get a boot up and see the display?
No, the displays need the high voltage (at least) from the HV/Solenoid board top right. You could boot just the MPU and interpret it's diagnostic LED. I'm not sure what the board is next to the sound board probably an Aux lamp board.

@Moonbus, I'm interested in the homebrew transformer - is that written up somewhere? This is the base of your M&MPM coffee table project I guess.

No, the displays need the high voltage (at least) from the HV/Solenoid board top right. You could boot just the MPU and interpret it's diagnostic LED. I'm not sure what the board is next to the sound board probably an Aux lamp board.

@Moonbus, I'm interested in the homebrew transformer - is that written up somewhere? This is the base of your M&MPM coffee table project I guess.

The transformer was an eBay purchase, came already mounted on the metal plate with the connector, unfortunately I don't know the history of it.

The Solenoid Driver/Voltage Reg circuit board, top right, develops two stabilised voltage rails, the adjustable 185V for the display envelopes and 5v for the Mpu and other boards. So it's essential for this scenario, booting the Mpu and counting its diagnostic flashes

That does seem to be one of the various flavours of auxiliary lamp driver boards between the normal lamp driver and Squawk & Talk audio boards

Back
Top Bottom