What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

F***mE! the price of stuff today

I'm afraid no matter how many come and quote, you won't find anyone to do it cheap - we went through several.

Getting a blind to drop/retract at an angle and look good when up and down is actually quite complicated and those that can do it know there is no cheapo competition so have absolutely no incentive to reduce the prices. Every install is a custom one because sizes, roof angle etc are always slightly different.

The tinting windows seem like they'd work but wasn't that common (7 years ago) and at the time all had their own issues - in any case, it seemed to double the cost of the glazing when done in the odd shapes, so came in at similar prices.

I'm afraid no matter how many come and quote, you won't find anyone to do it cheap - we went through several.

Getting a blind to drop/retract at an angle and look good when up and down is actually quite complicated and those that can do it know there is no cheapo competition so have absolutely no incentive to reduce the prices. Every install is a custom one because sizes, roof angle etc are always slightly different.

The tinting windows seem like they'd work but wasn't that common (7 years ago) and at the time all had their own issues - in any case, it seemed to double the cost of the glazing when done in the odd shapes, so came in at similar prices.
Yep, I had a very close look today at the mechanism and how it works, very clever.

Sleep / eye mask ….. couple of quid.
You mean as a cover for the old chap up when you get out of the shower and the neighbours are peering in through the bedroom window? I guess you could probably attach the ear straps around some dangly bits and get it to hold in place, but it probably wouldn't work if you got too excited :hmm:

Come on Al, we won't be able to sleep in that room with all that sunlight

Good lad, pass out after a couple of bottles of red and you won't care whos peeping at you

I think it was the darkness and not the exposure Alan was trying to manage.

Doing the maths: 15 years expected life, or 5475 days.
3 months of the year are dark until a reasonable time. So ((9/12)*5475)=4106.25 light mornings.

Take the cost of the blind, £9200 and divide by 4106.25

That works out as £2.24 on wine a night, not sure that is going to be enough to knock you out

Last edited:
You actually worked out the maths 🤣

What if Alan spent £6.73 per night on wine over 5 years, then used all the empty bottles to block out the window.

I’ve got your back Alan

Ok 2 sheets of ply should square those windows off nicely then a couple of pull-down ikea blackout binds should do the trick.

Job done all under a hundred quid.

IMG_0653.jpeg

Just buy me a drink at Pinfest 👍

Try these guys for a quote?
They fitted electric blinds to one of my projects.
You could also hung normal curtains and and hold them on the sides with some thick ropes for that grand feel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230521_102856_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_102856_Instagram.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20230521_103509_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230521_103509_Chrome.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 15
^. they came friday. even more expensive!

I get there is an additional cost to make a bespoke blind with a complex mechanism, but the difference in price between a rectangular blind and these triangle ones is £8k.

the r&d costs are minimal as all these suppliers are using a similar design, so most have copied someone else’s r&d investment.

there is a more involved manufacturing cost and cost to measure up and install, but nowhere near £8ks worth.

Blinds by their very nature have a limited life as the nylon strings wear out. no one will offer > 5 year guarantee on them. whereas rectangular blinds you can easily get a 10 year guarantee.

Think it’s curtains instead. I bought Clare a sewing machine a few years ago, time for it to earn its keep! 😄😄

Best option so far IMO

“ Think it’s curtains instead. I bought Clare a sewing machine a few years ago, time for it to earn its keep! 😄😄

Best part of this option is the fact you can admire your own handy work over the years and change it up now and again.

Nothing beats this feeling! 👌

Back
Top Bottom