What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

External subwoofer

thewool

Registered
I read a lot on Pinside about folks adding an external subwoofer to their games, they rattle on a lot about these Polk subwoofers. Firstly just wondering if this is something people have tried, Polks are quite expensive here, have people tried other brands?

Thanks.

I have a few cheap ones here off ebay, and one that came with my tron, they improve the sound a lot in my opinion. No need to buy an expensive one.

Buy a used home cinema Subwoofer with speaker level inputs, sometimes called High level inputs.

Wire cables from the cabinet speaker terminals to these speaker level inputs (LEFT or RIGHT inputs) so it's in parallel. Turn on sub. Really improves low-end audio on newer Sterns.

You can wire 2 games to one sub, one to the left +/- inputs and one to the right +/- inputs.

I have 2 Tannoy HTS subs (£100 for both off eBay, almost new!) and 1 Mission M2Sas (from old home cinema set-up before kids arrived) serving 6 games.

Turn crossover freq to Max (150Hz ish) and then adjust the volume to suit.

Last edited:
I fed thin wires through the grills at the rear bottom of cab and connected to + and - of cab speaker with croc clips from maplins then the other ends to the + - of sub. Easy to swap from game to game then. Really worth it IMHO

Do you want to remove the internal one and replace it with a passive sub woofer on the floor??

Does make sense. A sub woofer is only as good as its box. And an open pinball machine isn't a good box.

Does anyone know the power and impedance that they use?

Back
Top Bottom