What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Excalibur new fault

domlouis

Registered
Hello all,
After a couple of months of fault-free running following the visit from Andy, Excalibur has abruptly stopped working.
When it happened, I think the next ball was just coming out ready to be played, the game unexpectedly made the noise you get when you get the Special or lottery, the music stopped and everything else stopped working. I turned it off immediately.
I suspected a blown fuse somewhere but i can't find any.
When I now turn it on, this is its state:
- the displays don't come on
- some of the playfield lights come on (not all, and all lights stay either lit or unlit)
- none of the targets come back on (ie there is no resetting sequence even starting)
- the flippers are still active (i can still flip!)
-
It definitely felt like something went (a fuse, a capacitor, a rectifier, a resistance, ???)
Where do i start?
Thank you.

Typical symptoms for a blown fuse. Remove the balls and lift the playfield up. To the right of the transformer are the fuses.

So like a ‘pop’ or ‘bang’ and then it died??
Yes.
I immediately checked all the fuses visually by taking them off and they all look good.
Later on I checked them with my voltmeter and they are all fine. I did get lazy here and didn't take them out. Maybe I should try that first?

Yes.
I immediately checked all the fuses visually by taking them off and they all look good.
Later on I checked them with my voltmeter and they are all fine. I did get lazy here and didn't take them out. Maybe I should try that first?

A visual inspection is generally not enough, fuses can look fine and be bad.
Always good practice to remove them and check with the meter as you've suggested. I think leaving them in again can interfere.

Always check fuses with a multimeter set on buzzer or resistance.As Pete said thay are in btm cab on tranny.
Flippers should not be working,a relay stops that.I suspect bridge rectifier or power supplymay be gone.Check voltage going into cpu board.Easier to measure across the electrolyticcapacitor next to the poer in connector,that iirc is a four pin one.Its on the lh outer mid side of the a1 board.It should be 5volts dc.

Back
Top Bottom