What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Events in 2021

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Now that 2020 is a total write off for events what is the hive mind of pinballinfo think for next year?

INDISC in the US cancelled for 2021. TPF is on but my money says it will be cancelled maybe if the US election goes against the incumbent there is a small chance.

Will we have a UK league? Will there be any events ? Will UKPInfest happen?

Right now I’m not feeling too optimistic.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They're running comps in fulda right now! That shows its not impossible to run a small comp, but the big events would be much harder to sort out and keep everyone safe.

Can’t see leagues having enough time to run next year. 😢

Given it’s looking increasingly likely there will be rolling lockdowns for the next few months I’d be surprised if we get back to normal by Easter.

Maybe larger venues such as a Flip Out could successfully manage with some form of distancing but I know it would be impossible at my place.

Guess it all depends on hospital admissions and the death rate over the next month. I’m wondering if we will see a different pattern emerging with less impact on the larger cities and more in rural locations based on previous antibody levels. So far the kids have been back with me for 2 and a bit weeks. Absolutely zero distancing in reality with 2000 people squashed into the building. As of last week only one member of staff has been diagnosed positive since returning but we’ve already got loads of kids and teachers isolating and waiting for test results (The vast majority will be negative). It’s quite disconcerting seeing them getting plucked out of lessons as a result of track and trace.

Hopefully cases requiring hospitalisation will remain low.

Maybe we will get some one off events later in the year.

Freaking hope by aug 2021 this is burned out or at least under control with a vaccine.

Vaccine is years away; if something like this can even be vaccinated.

Follow the rules which whilst are annoying aren’t the end of the world and there is a chance that it disappears (and was achieved for a time in NZ). Don’t and this thing will be causing chaos on and off for years. Seeing all these stupid ****ers on TV saying the rules are confusing gets my goat. They are simple and straightforward if you spend time to read them.

Eventually the fatigue of this will make those being asshats change their tune but it could take a couple of years before the most stupid see sense.

Rural nature of this isn’t what’s causing the outbreaks, it’s folks in large families congregating.

Rural nature of this isn’t what’s causing the outbreaks, it’s folks in large families congregating.
Yep my mum was telling me yesterday about what they have seen in London parks and it is exactly this, huge gatherings of family and or friends.
Sharing food about ect 😏

Large families mixing are without doubt one factor but there’s a lot of others.

Round here the students have returned. Many live in HMOs so you have 8-10 adults from different parts of the U.K. (or further afield) now swapping germs with each other. In three weeks time lots of then will go home for a weekend or travel to other cities to meet friends.

Walking around Dulwich park yesterday very few large family groups but loads of young middle class parents holding open air birthday parties for toddlers with shared food. So many of them seem to have birthdays there must have been a Christmas shag season a few years ago.

Busses are running for school kids with no social distancing. Huge mixing of year groups and different schools on the same bus Adults constantly trying to also get on them. Masks on tubes and trains aren’t being enforced.

Chuck in the reopening of churches/synagogues/mosques for extra mixing and close contact.

I thought it was truly bizarre that the government failed to see that the return to school/uni/work would coincide with an increase in need for testing. Focus seems to be on Christmas at the moment with DiwaliI and Halloween both being overlooked as potentially huge social gatherings.

My kids school - 8 outbreaks in a week, two whole year groups shut down and excluded from school, 9 more kids awaiting test results. One teacher has tested positive. All in a week. Nightmare.

My kids school - 8 outbreaks in a week, two whole year groups shut down and excluded from school, 9 more kids awaiting test results. One teacher has tested positive. All in a week. Nightmare.

Sorry to hear it. It’s a nightmare for parents. If anyone in the family is ill the kids need to be pulled out for two weeks unless they can get a negative test results. So even if the child only has a cold the parents can’t work until the result comes back in.

Based on the data the government are getting - none of the places you describe John are currently showing up as massive risk areas.

Schools might become one but right now the volume is driven by large family gatherings, at homes, outside and in restaurants/pubs etc.

The other high risk area that the government should have predicted are the idiots who don’t self isolate.

Public transport also not seen as a high risk area from the data so far.

Neil.

I think it's less than 50/50 that Pinfest will go ahead next year. I can't see any way the UK League can go ahead next year, mainly because I think the number of people willing to host will be severely limited, add on to that the likely appetite for people to attend means 2021 will be a write off for the league. 😫

Wayne. Does the league have to finish in August? In theory if things improve then could people host in the 2nd half of the year? Alternatively could it be run with just 4 meets rather than 6? Just trying to see if there are any glimmers of hope. I’m really missing playing with people.

The finals don't have to be in August, they've been held as late as the following Jan before, it could also run with reduced meetings - all options are on the table.
I meant the league is unlikely to happen in it's current form.
That's not to say that an alternative format can't be implemented - I'm open to realistic alternatives, as I'm sure the other coordinators are.

Based on the data the government are getting - none of the places you describe John are currently showing up as massive risk areas.

Not having a dig but we’re now a week later. Schools (and by default I’d argue school busses) accounted for a whopping estimated 22-24% of new infections according to one report issued this week (although I think you also have to ask if that is also related to greater testing of school kids). We’re also seeing 3 universities locked down already and talk of students being banned from returning home for Christmas.

I’d be utterly amazed if places of worship aren’t also another hub. Lots of people in small areas. churches are often social hubs for older people, potentially a very at risk group. Mosques are often crowded small areas with lots of different families with little room for social distancing which then feeds back into large family groups.

Even after this weeks increase in fines more and more people are using public transport without masks. 🤬. Seriously what is up with those people?

Back to pinball.....

This is the issue with Covid. people can get it and not feel anything but can spread it around. Three people that I work with where given antibody tests last week and they all have had it. None of them had _any_ symptoms, one of them was so adamant he hadn't had it they did the antibody test three times - all positive.

and yes given that large families clearly were not taking basic precautions then sending them off to uni and school was going to take the virus with them but the same is true with people going go work etc. Individual behaviour, social distancing, washing hands, wearing masks if not carried out just means a ****show for everyone else.

I went in to the office yesterday (and was given a covid test complimentary!) and on SWT I walked from the back of the train to the front and found everyone wearing a mask which I was pleased to see. I didn't get on the tube, but I got the view that mask wearing had improved. Although in the petrol station last night some chump from a large plumbers came in no mask, few people said mask, and he replied with moron, I took a photo of the twat, his van and emailed it to his company.

then everyone thinks test and trace is the answer, not if people get it, don't have symptoms and don't get tested but become spreaders.

Glad you were tested.

Talking to my 6th formers about 20% of them think they had it back in spring (very unscientific but it’s a similar figure in most of my classes when chatting to them). All demonstrated “classic” symptoms. However, none of them have been tested so there is no proof.

It would be useful to know how many have already passed through it. I got sent a random antibody test kit in August and turned out to be negative.

About 10% of any of my classes are currently being sent the NHS isolation letter as someone else in their household has tested positive. As such they are out for the next 10-14 days. I’ve got two others who are still stuck in foreign countries unable to return.

We were promised tests would be sent to the school in August for home testing but none were ever dispatched. Similar situation with the laptop scheme announced in April. The “summer of catch up” turned out to be nothing. The extra funding for tutors to help catch up turned out to be a grand total of £450 to be split between 1400 kids. Exam boards still haven’t published plans about what the exam situation will be in May so we can’t focus on what exactly to deliver. In short it’s a mess in schools. The idea of distancing is utterly impossible. Just waiting in a corridor to get into a room means I’m within 2m of 20 plus kids. All kids are sharing equipment keyboards etc.

The DLR is worse than the tube in terms of people not masking up. I suspect people think it’s less of a risk as it’s above ground. Loads of different groups of school kids gets on for a couple of stops plus parents and lots are just behaving the same as a year ago.

There are some positives though. Our head of sixth form decided to run a competition to create uplifting messages on their form boards. Looking round the building there were lots of pastel shades, balloons and flowers. Discovered my kids had embraced “Brutalism” with a motivational method worthy of Stalin. 🤣 Somehow I don’t think we’ll win the contest.

Attachments

• C57CC9F5-F53C-4C1A-8FEB-CADE961650AE.jpeg
    C57CC9F5-F53C-4C1A-8FEB-CADE961650AE.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 47
I can practically see Boris delivering his pinball press release:

“well errr, errr if you must play pinball then err play at home, errr errr unless you can’t play at home then go out and play pinball at tilt or chiefs but but but if you do play pinball there you must wear a mask unless your receiving table service at the pin of your choosing and you must, err must must cease playing at 10pm and vacate swiftly. Errr well errr unless your playing at home in which case you you you can play pinball all night but no more than 6 people”.

“well errr, errr if you must play pinball then err play at home, errr errr unless you can’t play at home then go out and play pinball at tilt or chiefs but but but if you do play pinball there you must wear a mask unless your receiving table service at the pin of your choosing and you must, err must must cease playing at 10pm and vacate swiftly. Errr well errr unless your playing at home in which case you you you can play pinball all night but no more than 6 people”.

fast forward 2023:

J85M posts:

“well errr, errr if you must play pinball then err play at home, errr errr unless you can’t play at home then go out and play pinball at tilt or chiefs but but but if you do play pinball there you must wear a mask unless your receiving table service at the pin of your choosing and you must, err must must cease playing at 10pm and vacate swiftly. Errr well errr unless your playing at home in which case you you you can play pinball all night but no more than 1 person”.

I wonder if it will be so funny after years of people not following the guidelines and 10% of the population dead and 40% of the population out of work.

Glad you were tested.

Talking to my 6th formers about 20% of them think they had it back in spring (very unscientific but it’s a similar figure in most of my classes when chatting to them). All demonstrated “classic” symptoms. However, none of them have been tested so there is no proof.

It would be useful to know how many have already passed through it. I got sent a random antibody test kit in August and turned out to be negative.

About 10% of any of my classes are currently being sent the NHS isolation letter as someone else in their household has tested positive. As such they are out for the next 10-14 days. I’ve got two others who are still stuck in foreign countries unable to return.

We were promised tests would be sent to the school in August for home testing but none were ever dispatched. Similar situation with the laptop scheme announced in April. The “summer of catch up” turned out to be nothing. The extra funding for tutors to help catch up turned out to be a grand total of £450 to be split between 1400 kids. Exam boards still haven’t published plans about what the exam situation will be in May so we can’t focus on what exactly to deliver. In short it’s a mess in schools. The idea of distancing is utterly impossible. Just waiting in a corridor to get into a room means I’m within 2m of 20 plus kids. All kids are sharing equipment keyboards etc.

The DLR is worse than the tube in terms of people not masking up. I suspect people think it’s less of a risk as it’s above ground. Loads of different groups of school kids gets on for a couple of stops plus parents and lots are just behaving the same as a year ago.

There are some positives though. Our head of sixth form decided to run a competition to create uplifting messages on their form boards. Looking round the building there were lots of pastel shades, balloons and flowers. Discovered my kids had embraced “Brutalism” with a motivational method worthy of Stalin. 🤣 Somehow I don’t think we’ll win the contest.

well my grand daughters school seems to be coping much better than this although its a primary, they have done a great job kitting the school out and spacing the pupils out.

track and trace is a total waste of time other than for healthcare; you get tested, two days later you've got it.

in my view we should be back in lockdown.

I'm writing 2021 off now. That way if anything great happens it will be a pleasant surprise.

Back
Top Bottom