What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Euros Thread

James

Site Supporter
Alias
James
Surprised there isn’t a football thread on here, came on to discuss the game - I know @Wayne J is a big football fan and knows what he’s talking about (LFC persuasions aside) and most know I’m a NCFC season ticket holder.

Have to say when you have the likes of Graelish, Sancho, Foden and Rashford on the bench, I thought Southgate got it wrong. Proven wrong on that front though and thought tactically we were good enough first half, big lull 45 - 60, but my word Sterling is impressing in an England shirt.

The ****nal lad, Saka looked very positive and could turn a player with ease but was visibly weakening by the second half. I’d have pulled a DM still and got Phoden and Graelish into the mix. Again, what do I know.

All of that without even discussing yesterday’s festivities… what do we think? Finals await? 😂

It was a good win although we had a bit of luck with Muller's miss (Ha! Ha!) and a couple of other half chances they had.
The consensus seems to be we now have a cake walk into the final. If that is what we think we will be unpleasantly surprised.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Why has the entire media forgotten that England beat Germany in the 2000 Euros ?
Because we both got knocked out anyway.

I was working in Southampton Yates's at the time and the place got trashed by 'fans'. Stools thrown over the bar taking all the optics out etc.It was the only time we had ever had to call the police. In the end the van simply backed up to the door and let the dogs out. That got things under control pretty quickly.

TBF Southgate has done as well as anyone could have hoped for.

Through to the quarters without conceding.

We as fans may want exciting, squashbuckling football and to win each match 5-4 but it's not normally the way to win a tournament.

If we win the next 3 matches 1-0, from the only shot on goal I'll be more than happy.

It's more fun watching other teams with 6+ goal thrillers.

I must confess that I was getting heartily sick hearing all the negativity before the game started.

Germany has consistently been a better performing side than England for decades. But since the mid 90s the teams have been pretty close and England has beaten Germany in competitive matches and friendlies numerous times. Many games I have seen turned on a moment or two of luck or a near miss, including last night.

Those determined to do the England team down rarely, if ever, mention the victories. Then they bang on about it "being 55 years since we beat Germany". Complete masochistic crap.

Screenshot_20210630-082345_Chrome.jpg

I wish England well, but think folk in the country at large are getting more than a bit carried away.

England can only play the sides put before them, but folk should recognise that England have benefitted from extremely soft competitive matches over the past 4 years.

The world cup qualifying group for 2018 was very weak. At that world cup England lost to Belgium twice and Croatia once.Screenshot_20210705-091033_Google.jpg

The Euro 2020 qualifying group was also very weak. At this tournament the best side played by England so far was a weak German one Screenshot_20210705-090838_Google.jpg

So the reality is that England is arguably an unproven team. And it lost to Denmark last year in a Covid ravaged friendly tournament thingy.

Current FIFA rankings are obviously not perfect, but highlight that England has not beaten a top side in true competitive play (ie World Cup, Euro Cup or their qualifiers) for a fair while ...

Top European teams ...
Screenshot_20210705-084443_Chrome.jpg

Nothing wrong with dreaming, not won anything in my lifetime as I was born 2 years after THAT win and if they win the tournament because it was of weak teams they played I couldn’t care less and I would be delighted😂
Still a long way to go😬

Still a long way to go😬
Potentially just 180 minutes plus added time and if that doesn't give you reason to be excited, football is going to leave you cold far more than it is going to make you feel excited.

We've been up and down more than a pogo-stick salesman in the last 10 years. However, imagine supporting a mid-table mediocrity table, you wouldn't bother if not for the fact that within that 90 minutes, it's just about that game.

Nothing wrong with dreaming, not won anything in my lifetime as I was born 2 years after THAT win and if they win the tournament because it was of weak teams they played I couldn’t care less and I would be delighted😂
Still a long way to go😬
oh did they win once ? they should maybe mention it now and again... ;)

Back
Top Bottom