What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Elektra - Face Lift

TonySchwager

Registered
Alias
Tony
So i have embarked on my first efforts to bring back a bit of Sparkle to Elektra.

I got the machine a couple of months ago from Solar Sailor who had got the machine working, completed and LED conversion and an put an overlay of the upper play field.
I have never done anything like this before so its a bit of a learning curve and thanks to all of you who have posted amazing work i have gleaned a lot of information.
So to build up confidence I started with the coin door. It was a bit rusty but has polished up OK on the bench polisher, for the Eagle eyed (I wish I was), I have found the missing springs which and screws in the depths of the garage which vibrated off the table during buffing. - NOTE TO SELF: Put bits and pieces in pot when buffing. Coin.jpg

Next up bottom playfield, its in pretty good shape but a couple of bits of wear and some Mylar on the hands

PF1.jpg

So I do a bit of touching up with acrylic paint, what to do with the Mylar, so after watching You tube a reading what should I do

1. Leave it
2. Heat it
3. Freeze it
4. Try and get some goo gone

Friday night and I have had some beers, I have an air duster can so can upside down and hit the mylar, it goes icey, pull off really slowly hit with spray and Sh*t

mylar.jpg

It looks worse on Saturday morning: NOTE TO SELF: do not make rash decisions whilst drinking beer
So I strip, touch up , polish and wax and here is the result, I am not entirely happy but some of it looks better than before

pf2.jpg

So I have got this far so decide lets carry on and order a stencil kit from PIMP in the US, its been a while and they left customs yesterday so should be here.
In the meantime I embark on stripping down. Wow there is miles of wiring in here. These little bolts are a nightmare why does nothing in the socket set seem to fit. Ahh its becuse they are imperial NOTE TO SELF: Get a 1/4 inch bolt driver, that's so much easier, thanks Amazon for the speedy delivery.

Next stripping down. Lots of labelling/photos and putting stuff in zip bags, I found it useful to bag in sections, upper playfield, LHS lower playfield etc. I hope that works out when putting things back together. Bad news though, damage on the board, I don't know how that happened. There was a burning smell one night when playing, the RHS lower flipper coil was super hot but I can't see a connection there!

board.jpg

Wires out, next up getting the plexi glass out, what a nightmare that was. worrying about snapping things, anyway I carefully removed the screws got the plexi out and I have temporarily re-fixed with the glass out. I knew that a bit of paint would lift, mainly the lower part of the diamond as you could see this has lifted already. About 3 hours of Novus 2 and its come up pretty good. There was plenty of grime and a strong outline of an egg made up of years of ming around the viewing window. I have got rid of the draft excluder stuff as it seems to be a bit of a dirt trap and sanded and painted around the opening

plexi.jpg

I have left the lifted bit of the diamond on an not sure whether to leave that or not. Started touching up the playfield but needs more work.
dia.jpg

QUESTION. I want to paint the black side rails, any suggestion for paint, should I use 2K?. I will need to use a rattle can. Thanks

Now onto the cab: NOTE TO SELF. Buy respirator before starting. Thanks Amazon for the speedy delivery

old cab.jpg

Hours of sanding later and a bit more to go

box.jpg

The side rails had deep scratches and annoying dents on the top where the top box was folded down and various other dents up there.
I heated the dents with a gas can blow torch and then squeezed them in a vice. I worked out pretty good and they look better and a couple of dings look to have gone

Lots of sanding, more to go and the deep scratches are out

side.jpg

So shortly the stencils should be here and I can move onto the painting
QUESTION/VIEWS, should I paint all of the inside of the box or mask up. Which primer/paint to use/estimated number of cans
I am hoping PIMP sends the RAL numbers so I can get correct colours, these look expensive
https://www.riolettcustomaerosols.co.uk/ral-paint-colours/

top.jpg

2 Weeks Later
Bit of progress on the playfield - should have taken a few more before shots
Here are a few

spin.jpg

b4.jpgpfb4.jpg

Playfield is back together
Full Rebuild of the 4 main flipper
Spend a while cleaning wiring
Spent hours polishing ramps etc
Cab is now sanded and ready for primer, got 6 cans of Upol from Amazon (when they turn up its satin black)
NOTE TO SELF - double check orders...
Painted side rails satin black
Ordered 12 cans of Upol primer from Amazon - which took ages to arrive - No thanks to Amazon this time for their speedy delivery
PIMP stencils are here...

pfnew.jpg

sr.jpg

ramp.jpg

Decided on polishing out the lifted piece of diamond from the perspex and attempted a touch up.

flip.jpg

It looks better from the frontflipb.jpg

Ignore the paint over splash, I am annoyed with myself about that

Last edited:
Spray the lot. It might not be authentic but it looks a lot better. Its one of those things that would have been done originally had they splurged for the extra paint. Upol is a good can to use, but don't think you could get specific RALs. Number of cans is always hard to gauge, I used 3 prime and 12 (!) satins on my last cab, but it was in a state. This was for decals though @new forest pinball would have a better idea for stencils.

Looking great. This era of Bally really shines with a bit of tlc.

Great progress, good to see this machine moving forward :thumbs:

I think for the cab you'll use quality rattlers, LOTS of them, I used Painters Touch and matching colours best you can from within a range, mixing brands can be problematic. Sprayster.com was good as you could return unused cans. As Stumblor says New Forest is defo your man for the pinball pimps advice.

Personally I prefer the cab bottom left bare wood but the majority seem to paint them.

Good luck.

Wow Tony. Thats more than tinkering here!
You have gone further in than I did.
I did not touch the lower PF so you have improved that area.

What's happened to the lamp driver board? Which number burnt out?

Cheers Paul

Looks like 25 and 29 which I think is x 2 bonus/ Left Spinner arrow (courtesy of AlanJ), but they were working with the burn
2 Electra points could not get to light up previous to dismantling which was when i discovered the burn out.
Also never seen attract mode come on but have not checked switches yet

Last edited:
Hmmm ok.

Attract was on and cycles every couple of minutes.
Speech says something like "join the Elektra convention" and lights the lower PF for a few seconds.

Strange......

Switch 30 disables the game over voice - check that :)

1594212622286.png
(I always thought it was saying "Prepare for the Gamma Invention" :) )

I do know someone that has offered to clean up the upper P/F on mine but I cant decide whether to or not. I see 2 large connectors underneath but something tells me there will be some other wiring that needs removed too (aside from all the screws)
I would love to be brave enough to have the cabinet redone - too - cos its a bit tired. But dont think I am :)

I was worried about changing bulbs a few weeks ago. Just decided to go for it. Test will be if it works when it goes back together.
I had taken all the wiring out there are two main blocks had to un-solder speaker and knocker.
When i put it back together i will see what the minimum disconnections are and let you know

Bit of progress on the cab of Elektra, cabprime.jpg
12 UPol primer cans

14... cans of Rustolem deep bluecabblue.jpg

2 cans of Rustolem berry pinkcabpink.jpgmaincabpink.jpg

2 cans of Rustolem sun yellow

side.jpg

face.jpg

3 more stencils to go then the cab should be good to go and I can start putting things back together
Not that I really want to be shelling out for any more spray cans.
Wondering if I should clear coat any views on that would be appreciated.
Thanks

Wondering if I should clear coat any views on that
It looks great and original as it is, if you choose to I'd be checking, double checking and triple checking that it doesnt react with your work so far.

I can't believe how many rattle cans you used, defo exceeded my estimate of LOTS.

Thanks all for comments/likes, I was hoping to post an update tonight but have run into technical difficulties!!!
Post on technical questions help........

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom