What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical help please

RudeDogg1

Registered
Right just put up a led light in my sisters house the same light I put up at my mums no prob. The electrics in this house are abit flakey. I can’t see what’s wrong it’s wired correctly but blew the fuse. So I rewired the fuse yup it’s that old it still has the old fuses. But the lights still won’t come on but it hasn’t blown again and everything else is working

6d9c685ec48a1388bf7731b89f408b09.jpg

Looks ok to me

You have the switch line return short on the negative in other words one of those black should have been marked as a red that then goes to the brown of your light.

Light = brown wire remove that wire it will go to a single black wire which is the switch live
Two blacks are negative add your blue from the light
The reds stay together

You will need two extra connectors please connect all the earths together they shouldn’t be sitting on their own!

Just to add to @Happypin's post above.
Reds are the ring main - they should be connected to each other but not to your light.
Wire the earths together
You'll need to find the switch wire. You should add some brown or red tape to it to indicate it is the switched live. It should be one of the blacks... That connects to your brown light wire.
Connect the others blacks together and to your blue.

Ah see it didn’t mention that in the distructions. I did realise about the earths before I saw the replies. After all that it fried the leds. But since all that I’ve been told oh yeah that houses wiring doesn’t like leds whenever they have tried before it’s not had the guts to work properly. So it’s back to a normal light

Just to add to @Happypin's post above.
Reds are the ring main - they should be connected to each other but not to your light.
Wire the earths together
You'll need to find the switch wire. You should add some brown or red tape to it to indicate it is the switched live. It should be one of the blacks... That connects to your brown light wire.
Connect the others blacks together and to your blue.

Are you sure cuz there are 3 reds and 3 blacks?

Are you sure cuz there are 3 reds and 3 blacks?
Yep - electricity in (1 red + 1 black), electricity out to the next light in the ring (1 red + 1 black), plus the switch line - 1 red + black . The red goes from "electricity in" to the switch, the black is connected to the other side of the switch and then back to the light. So the switch live return is actually black.

Make sense?

If so you’ll need to switch the power off and find out which pair is the switch cable as you have no markings to tell.

You can check this by putting continuity on the red and black or each pair and switching the switch on.

A dead short beep when switched on between red and black will tell you which is the switch cable.

Then, all reds in a separate block and two neutral blacks in the neutral on the light and the switch live black, the one you just tested, into the live on the light.

This is the most common thing on a diy light change.

I’m local to you so if you need a hand let me know.

This is why I call in an electrician. If this had been me I'd not only have blown the fuse and LEDs but probably killed myself as well.

This is why I call in an electrician. If this had been me I'd not only have blown the fuse and LEDs but probably killed myself as well.

I’ve fitted one before for my mum no probs but then her house was rewired a few years before. As for this place it still has the old fuse wire fuses [emoji53]

If you do call a electrician the first thing he/ she will do is change the fuse board ,then do the job you called him to do plus you will get a nice certificate at the end of it .Screenshot_20190203-222522.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom