What's new

Eastbourne pier....

Just been down for a walk on the seafront at Bexhill, could see the smoke all the way from here :(

Were there pins there?

What's going on?, western pier, this one, that other arcade that went up a few months ago ( sorry Carl, can't remember it's name )

Something fishy afoot.

No pins I think, but it is the arcade that has gone up in smoke so probably a good number of cabs and coin pushers.

Would be shocked if its an insurance job while public are on the pier during the day etc.

Often these fires happen around midnight for a good payout.

Such a shame, Wonder how many rare machines they had stored that are now lost forever?

"Often these fires happen around midnight for a good payout."

Why's that?

Probably because through the day, with people walking around the insurance payout could be lower as a result? Burn it at night for better money as there is no risk to public?

I walked through that arcade about 10 days ago and there were no pins, shame though, at least they should rebuild it as its only the 1st part that is gone.

I walked through that arcade about 10 days ago and there were no pins, shame though, at least they should rebuild it as its only the 1st part that is gone.
Hopefuly it will get rebuilt. Things of beauty should be saved.
You don't see to many now most are left to be claimed by the sea and any that are damaged by fire then it's up to a public appeal of the lottery funding.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Often these fires happen around midnight for a good payout."

Why's that?

As said above, less public risk.
Public payout will hold back settlements and increase the chance of the insurance company trying to 'back out' of or limit any payments to the operator.
Often easier for an operator to claim a fire when the machines are left unattended. A fool would purposely start a fire like this during the day. Not to say it couldn't happen but Just in my humble opinion I feel its unlikely.
There would have been people inside at the start of the fire.

Shame its gone either way.

Hopefuly it will get rebuilt. Things of beauty should be saved.
You don't see to many now most are left to be claimed by the sea and any that are damaged by fire then it's up to a public appeal of the lottery funding.

They just got £2m of government money (erm, tax payer money) to rebuild it..

As said above, less public risk.
Public payout will hold back settlements and increase the chance of the insurance company trying to 'back out' of or limit any payments to the operator.
Often easier for an operator to claim a fire when the machines are left unattended. A fool would purposely start a fire like this during the day. Not to say it couldn't happen but Just in my humble opinion I feel its unlikely.
There would have been people inside at the start of the fire.

Shame its gone either way.

I read it as the payout was greater the later the hour.

Last edited:
Whilst i am all for supporting local heritage, that takes the p*ss a little methinks... :(

Complete political gamesmanship I'm afraid. These seaside town's are often marginal seats and UKIP has been polling well in these types of places. Up turn Cameron and his boys the day after it happened (all paid for by the tax payer) to offer tax payers money to fix a pier. wtf?! Buying votes with tax payer money is a new low.

Back
Top Bottom