What's new

Eag

It is a show I heard about ages ago but then not thought about it since.
Billed as the Complete Amusement and leisure show at Excel, London 22-24th of Jan: http://www.eagexpo.com/
How much Pinball will be on display? Once I have worked out my work plan for Jan, I will see if I can get a day off but it will probably be the Thursday the 24th.

Just for those not aware. it's a "trade" show and you need to get tickets in advance, just making up a company and signing up with your home address is normally ok

How much Pinball will be on display?
Apparently very little these days unfortunately... 😢 Although it will be interesting to see how JJP v Stern v Heighway goes..! :boxing: :bounce:

You can see old show reports on the pinballnews website.

Anyone else going for Thursday (tomorrow)? As I don't fancy biking it over whilst there is still ice on the road, it will be a very expensive train trip unless there are people to meet up with. :)

No. Apparently he accidentally dropped a live coil on the motherboard and put 70 volts across it and fried it :(

That is a real shame, did he only have the one motherboard?

As there is no one to meet up with today, I am not going to head over. Seems an expensive journey over to just see Woz and I expect that the Stern offerings will appear someone that I can play them in the future anyway.

probably a good call - WOZ will be in the Pipeline in March anyway for Matt's comp, and it would be a lot better with rules and software. and the Stern pins will show up somewhere or other. inside a Kinder egg or something like that.

apparently the Heighwayman had two motherboards, and the other one was with someone who's currently on holiday :(
personally i'm super impressed that he actually has a motherboard, and a populated playfield, and a translite. i thought it would take a lot longer to get to this stage so it's a shame he couldn't show it off.

now, whether there will ever be a market for new pins apart from pinheads around the world is another question, and we're all gonna find that out in the next 12 months with JJP. all of us in this forum would happily put money in any pinball machine we saw anywhere, probably in any condition, at least once. if it was fun, then we'd keep pumping coins in for as long as our time or cash held out. but there aren't any arcades left. and still almost none in pubs. or cinemas. or bowling or skating or swimming pools or nightclubs or coffeeshops or laundromats or shopping malls or garages or service stations ..... or anywhere

:(

That is a real shame, did he only have the one motherboard?

I thought the same ??? I really would have thought seeing as the stand was booked and sat there ,that showing up even with a non working pinball , in whatever state, and with lots of flyers, info etc etc would have been preferable to nothing. Of course I don't know the ins and outs but nothing worse than a no show :(

As this is the written word and Andy might read it, I held back what I was going to say earlier but will now as I don't think it is wrong.

I want to see how the machine looks, I want to see the layout. I don't know if it was finished, working, just flashing or dead but an empty stand is more of a negative than something not working. You can spin not finished with smiles and video, but you can not spin an empty stand, it says so many bad things and not just about the one machine, it could also indicated lack of planning and organisation.
I really want this machine to be a success because I want a UK based NIB option plus I really liked the nature of the original Circe idea, it is something I would save to own.

As this is the written word and Andy might read it, I held back what I was going to say earlier but will now as I don't think it is wrong.

I want to see how the machine looks, I want to see the layout. I don't know if it was finished, working, just flashing or dead but an empty stand is more of a negative than something not working. You can spin not finished with smiles and video, but you can not spin an empty stand, it says so many bad things and not just about the one machine, it could also indicated lack of planning and organisation.
I really want this machine to be a success because I want a UK based NIB option plus I really liked the nature of the original Circe idea, it is something I would save to own.

Yes I think Andy should have turned up with what he had, Playfield and translight and a load of flyers to hand out. At least he could have told people where he was up to with the machine and not leave them thinking the worst. Lets hope we hear from Highway Pinball soon with a update of what stage the machine is at.

On a positive note it was great to meet up with some of the group members yesterday and have a chat on all things pinball and not so pinball.

probably a good call - WOZ will be in the Pipeline in March anyway for Matt's comp, and it would be a lot better with rules and software. and the Stern pins will show up somewhere or other. inside a Kinder egg or something like that.

apparently the Heighwayman had two motherboards, and the other one was with someone who's currently on holiday :(
personally i'm super impressed that he actually has a motherboard, and a populated playfield, and a translite. i thought it would take a lot longer to get to this stage so it's a shame he couldn't show it off.

now, whether there will ever be a market for new pins apart from pinheads around the world is another question, and we're all gonna find that out in the next 12 months with JJP. all of us in this forum would happily put money in any pinball machine we saw anywhere, probably in any condition, at least once. if it was fun, then we'd keep pumping coins in for as long as our time or cash held out. but there aren't any arcades left. and still almost none in pubs. or cinemas. or bowling or skating or swimming pools or nightclubs or coffeeshops or laundromats or shopping malls or garages or service stations ..... or anywhere

The end of that comment sounded like the beginning of Special When Lit!....

I was very upset that work commitments meant I couldn't attend when the gang were there. It was the main reason I wanted to go, to meet up with the faces. It is good to hear that you had a good time.

It's all well and good for what YOU want to see, but you're a pinhead as is everyone else commenting in this thread. It was a trade show and he would have been up against completed products, I thought he would be mad to go with a prototype bearing in mind EVERY other stand had completed products / wares on them. I advised Andy not to take the game as it was - I did advise him to go with flyers, posters and 3D modelling software of the game on a laptop. He chose to do neither, instead working to get the game running as best as he could so he could continue with development. I

'm sure any pin heads interested will turn up at a launch party or whatever he does to launch

I did a trade show every year for five years, same central stand in a prime location. One year the company decided that the cost of doing the show was never recouped from sales generated so we pulled the stand for that year, the prime plot went to someone else. The phone rang for the week as people were checking if we had gone out of business, the question was continued to be asked for months. The company still don't do the show, they invite their favoured clients to a pub that is taken over for the week of the show.

Other than the use of the word machine, I wasn't specifically talking about pinball. I don't think I misunderstand about how these shows let people know about the products/services and generate interest in your wares. A large number of people do not even engage in the people on the stands, they would not find out if the machine was working or not but would take a leaflet and keep it on record for later.

A large number of people do not even engage in the people on the stands, they would not find out if the machine was working or not but would take a leaflet and keep it on record for later.

Hence why I advised him to go with flyers etc, I didn't see the stand at all but luckily pinball news had it covered for those of us that didn't see it. It probably wasn't that noticeable because the stand names were built in to the header of the stand and quite small. I guess time will tell if any damage was done

...and still almost none in pubs. or cinemas. or bowling or skating or swimming pools or nightclubs or coffeeshops or laundromats or shopping malls or garages or service stations ..... or anywhere

...in the UK. There's still some in France, and there's several open-to-the-public clubs where I live. I reckon pinball's becoming less dead by the day!

Back
Top Bottom