What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DotClk Pinball Animation Clock

Expired Due to no activity
Early on I mentioned to @DrPinball that I would prefer an enclosed frame for his clock and he replied maybe in the future. Yesterday I received the parts from him to try on my clock to fill in the open sides, bottom and top so thanks very much Dave. I had attempted to fill the gaps myself with black perspex and it looked ok but was a pain in the ass every time I wanted to update the animations but David came up with a clever way of attaching the fill in panels....
Here are the 6 pieces...
20180120_112429.jpg

Here are the clever little linking pieces that hold the panels in place...

20180120_112555.jpg

How the links attach...

20180120_113114.jpg

and how they look in place, quite hard to get good photos, the thing is very stealthy :D

20180120_121329.jpg
20180120_121345.jpg
20180120_121431.jpg
20180120_121529.jpg

and on the wall, not that you can really see the frame in the shots.....

20180120_121844.jpg
20180120_122038.jpg

Very happy with it, much better than the way I did it ( with superglue :rofl: )

Not sure if this is Davids final design, or the price, but if the open sides bother you this is a very nicely done.

Well done Dave and thanks again :thumbs:

6 pieces because the top and bottom are 2 pieces each, they fit between the hexagonal cross pieces. No new front or back required.

When I went to get the GOT scenes it said that 1240 scenes had been culled due to a limit of 1,000?? :)

Not sure the GOT scenes are there? Is it just me?

When I went to get the GOT scenes it said that 1240 scenes had been culled due to a limit of 1,000?? :)

Not sure the GOT scenes are there? Is it just me?

It's github saying it can't display more than 1000 files. If you get the zip file you'll find they're all in there. Look for files beginning got.

I also have one of these. Looks fantastic, a really quality item.
Spent over half hour watching it and trying to name the game the animation is from, decided i know nothing about machines other than the machines i own.
Made up with it, makes a fantastic topper, would highly recommend.
:thumbs: to Dave the good Dr!

Can you time the animations to coincide with the minute change? and is there any noticeable burn in if left on permanently?

Regards Col

Can you time the animations to coincide with the minute change? and is there any noticeable burn in if left on permanently?

Regards Col

I think at the moment the animation timings aren't linked directly to the current time - the delay between animations is just set from an arbitrary time. So choosing 1 min between animations won't land on the exact minute. The source code is available from here:
https://github.com/sigmafx/DotClk

If you're up for it, have a look at what would be needed.

As for burn in - I've had mine running all day for 18 months now and it show no sign of it. I don't think LEDs suffer from this.

I think line 370 in DotClk.ino controls when an animation should start.

Mine is set to every 5 minutes, so shows an animation at e.g. 20:00, 20:05 etc.

I'm sure when I had it set to every minute it showed it on the minute.

Mine is set to every 5 minutes, so shows an animation at e.g. 20:00, 20:05 etc.

I'm sure when I had it set to every minute it showed it on the minute.

If set to every minute, then it will show it on every minute - I interpreted the original question as meaning the animation commences on the exact moment the minute changes.

I don't have any stock of clocks at the moment.

I may not do the large clocks in the future, instead I'm thinking about selling a quarter size clock. This will allow me to use the same screens as the DmdXPress and so make things a bit easier. This means the clock will be the same size as a regular pinball display, plus a bit more for the frame.

However, I have no definite date for when these will be available.

I don't have any stock of clocks at the moment.

I may not do the large clocks in the future, instead I'm thinking about selling a quarter size clock. This will allow me to use the same screens as the DmdXPress and so make things a bit easier. This means the clock will be the same size as a regular pinball display, plus a bit more for the frame.

However, I have no definite date for when these will be available.

If you do another run of the large clocks please let me know as I’d be interested in one. Thanks.

@DrPinball

Would you mind if I looked into building/selling a small batch of the large LED boards?

I make produce a similar product in my spare time although its 192x32 and uses a raspberry pi as the controller and RGB HUB75 displays, but would not take me long to create a custom teensy board (have done in the past) for this.

Regards
Russell

@DrPinball

Would you mind if I looked into building/selling a small batch of the large LED boards?

I make produce a similar product in my spare time although its 192x32 and uses a raspberry pi as the controller and RGB HUB75 displays, but would not take me long to create a custom teensy board (have done in the past) for this.

Regards
Russell
@DrPinball

Regards
Russell
I would be interested in a desktop version if you do one.

Back
Top Bottom