What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Doctor Who Pinsound rant !

Devorian

Site Supporter
Alias
WHO
Why is Pinsound not so user friendly? It could be way simpler...... I've been using it for ages with Doctor who and everything been working just fine, using my own custom sounds.
(
)
That's nearly 400 sounds changed, enhanced and converted all to stereo. Seeing as I've not touched it in ages I thought I would do a firmware update.

PinSound Self Diagnosis

HARDWARE MODEL PLUS

HARDWARE REVISION 3.9

INTERNAL FIRMWARE REVISION 0100

PACKAGES no packages found. download it from www.pinsound.org

PINSOUND FIRMWARE VERSION 24.03.17

SERIAL NUMBER ##############

USB DEVICES Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0781:5567 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Blade

Since then it's been saying 'no sound files found on the USB drive.' ( The ones it's just been playing 2 weeks earlier ) If I download the original sounds or any of the custom sounds from pinsound they work, but as soon as I try and alter them myself it doesn't like it. I've tried changing the files from OGG to WAV, renaming the files to match the originals and still nothing works. It will load them in, make the completion sound to tell me everything is installed, but when I play the game there is no sound? It's like they only want people to use what is hosted on the official Pinsound site? Without blowing my own trumpet, they are all pretty dire and I wouldn't bother with any of the DR Who attempts.

Also I can read everything from the USB stick using the Pinsound studio pro app. It says the changes have been saved, but when you put the USB stick back in the machine its either silence or it will complain there are no audio files detected??? It's so annoying!!!

So has anyone managed to create their own sounds after updating the board and if so how?

Ahh I've had this when I updated some stuff (including custom audio sets) can't quite remember how I resolved it but have a feeling it was to do with the text file that's in the root folder containing the old data, i think i deleted this and then let the pinsound re-write it like it does with new audio sets.

Not totally sure if that's what I did but it was definitely something irritatingly simple on mine, sorry

Just to be certain, I've formatted a new usb drive to fat32 placed the original sound files and a custom pack on there. Duplicated the original sound pack for editing. Both the original and custom files are in the OGG format. So in the copy of the original folder I replaced the main theme with a replacement audio track but kept the same file name and tried it both as a OGG and WAV. It plays the custom and original sounds fine, when it comes to the editted version there is silence when it should be playing the new file?

I've queried it with the technical bods at Pinsound and posted on the pinsound forum but forum is dead.

Just to be certain, I've formatted a new usb drive to fat32 placed the original sound files and a custom pack on there. Duplicated the original sound pack for editing. Both the original and custom files are in the OGG format. So in the copy of the original folder I replaced the main theme with a replacement audio track but kept the same file name and tried it both as a OGG and WAV. It plays the custom and original sounds fine, when it comes to the editted version there is silence when it should be playing the new file?

I've queried it with the technical bods at Pinsound and posted on the pinsound forum but forum is dead.
That does sound strange tbf, could you check that the edited version has been saved as 16-bit and not 24-bit accidently ?

If you want to send me the edited file I can test it in my Pinsound, see if it ignores it too ?

This is were you went wrong. If it's not broke don't fix it.

With the later firmwares they migrated over to PSPack formats over the traditional zip files. This meant that files could remain compressed but readable by the board, thus speeding up the process for people that didn't 'unpack' the files first onto their respective USB stick.

you can still use the traditional OGG/WAV format but you need to follow the folder structure.

Your root folder should look like this from memory:

audio <folder>
playback <folder>
.cache <file>
pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt

When amending files be sure to remove the .cache file from the root, so that the pinsound board runs a full scan of your folders/files

The Audio folder needs to contain your remixes.

You can place multiple 'sound packages' into this folder and Pinsound will alternate between them on start up. You can also get the selector addon that mounts at the front of the legs to flick between packages if you desire.

An example would be:

DevorianDRWhoMix <folder>
ArvsAintBrokeDontFixitMIx <folder>
CreweysBestMixEva <folder>

With your DevorianDRWhoMix folder you need to place your sound package:

It should contain the following folders:

jingle <folder>
music <folder>
sfx <folder>
voice <folder>
config.pinsound <file>
license.txt <file>

if you have any MP3 files within these folders they won't be read. You need .OGG or WAV.

The playback folder back in the root is a check box you can set on Pinsound Studio to monitor your package and see if any sound files are being called and are missing etc.

This is were you went wrong. If it's not broke don't fix it.
Tell me about it. 😂 It does now play some cheerful ambient music whilst it's not working properly... It didn't do that before the update.

• Haha
Reactions: Arv
If you want to send me the edited file I can test it in my Pinsound, see if it ignores it too ?
I've kind of left it alone for a couple of days whilst those tech guys from Pinsound get back to me. If I can't resolve it myself that may be an option.

With the later firmwares they migrated over to PSPack formats over the traditional zip files. This meant that files could remain compressed but readable by the board, thus speeding up the process for people that didn't 'unpack' the files first onto their respective USB stick.

you can still use the traditional OGG/WAV format but you need to follow the folder structure.

Your root folder should look like this from memory:

audio <folder>
playback <folder>
.cache <file>
pinsound-self-diagnosis.txt

When amending files be sure to remove the .cache file from the root, so that the pinsound board runs a full scan of your folders/files

The Audio folder needs to contain your remixes.

You can place multiple 'sound packages' into this folder and Pinsound will alternate between them on start up. You can also get the selector addon that mounts at the front of the legs to flick between packages if you desire.

An example would be:

DevorianDRWhoMix <folder>
ArvsAintBrokeDontFixitMIx <folder>
CreweysBestMixEva <folder>

With your DevorianDRWhoMix folder you need to place your sound package:

It should contain the following folders:

jingle <folder>
music <folder>
sfx <folder>
voice <folder>
config.pinsound <file>
license.txt <file>

if you have any MP3 files within these folders they won't be read. You need .OGG or WAV.

The playback folder back in the root is a check box you can set on Pinsound Studio to monitor your package and see if any sound files are being called and are missing etc.
The strange thing is, all the audio will open in the pinsound studio app and play. You can save any changes you make but when the usb drive is on the soundboard it has a complete brain fart and doesn't recognise it?

This is exactly as it appears on my drive.... ?

Attachments

• pic 5.png
    pic 5.png
    375.5 KB · Views: 20
  • pic 4.png
    pic 4.png
    507.6 KB · Views: 17
  • pic 3.png
    pic 3.png
    69.7 KB · Views: 15
  • pic 2.png
    pic 2.png
    61 KB · Views: 20
  • pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    65.8 KB · Views: 21
I did contact pinsound's technical team at the same time, with the wkend I figured you probably hadn't seen it yet?

Yeah briefly in a nutshell, it was working then after the update all my usb drives say 'no audio files are present on the flash drive'. With the exception of the standard Dr who sounds.

But the time stamp on the cache says 2016?
Never had pinsound in 2016, it must be creating the cache from the original PSpack? Maybe this is the issue?

If I delete the cache from the drive, then place the drive back into the soundcard. That's the file that appears. 🤷‍♂️

Never had pinsound in 2016, it must be creating the cache from the original PSpack? Maybe this is the issue?

If I delete the cache from the drive, then place the drive back into the soundcard. That's the file that appears. 🤷‍♂️
I'm not sure, but it could be pulling the time stamp from the date/time on the machine.

Out of interest - What was the problem??
It came back all packaged in a nice working zip folder which pinsound automatically unpacks.

I've also asked the same question to Pinsound seeing as I haven't had time to dissect the folders myself, but only to confirm the USB drive is working well in my machine.

I'm guessing it's an error in writing the cache file. I will post the answer when I know.

The original Beta version is available on Pinsound after being salvaged.

Link here : 30th Anniversary edition

You may need to sign up to the Pinsound forum to receive.

Enjoy.

1000003209.jpg1000003208.jpg

Back
Top Bottom