What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you have a Hobbit or Pirates pinball machine in the UK south west? Want to try one out before looking to buy one

T0nnage

Registered
I'm getting back into pinball after 10 years and a Hobbit or JJP PIrates seems like the kind of game I'm looking for. I'm guessing by the scarcity the Pirates is probably out of my price range as well so it's the Hobbit I'm most interested in.

I've never played a JJP machine though and people tell me I need to play them before I look at buying one.

So... Does anyone have a Hobbit or Pirates in the UK South West? I'll happily offer a few bottles of wine or cash or something in return for the chance to spend some time playing on one.

Please either PM or respond here, thanks!

Pirates is shifting hands at 14k plus recently and that's if you can find one. Any reason you are choosing these titles? Both are scarse as anything.

My advice (and the advice we always give around here) is to wait until something interesting comes up, pick that up, and then trade up in a few months time for something new. That way when hobbit or whatever does come up (in a year or more probably) you've already had a ton of fun.

Pirates is shifting hands at 14k plus recently and that's if you can find one. Any reason tou are choosing these titles? Both are scarse as anything.
Yeah, you're right; they seem to be very scarce. Edit: That's why I'm trying to find one to try because I don't think I'll come across one naturally: The UK Pinball League doesn't have one in the South West anyway.

I'd like to find a Hobbit at £6k really - £14k is far too much. I expected it to be but i don't think I've even found any adverts for them to get an idea of the price so that's why i didn't discount it out of hand.

My last, and by far favourite, pin was Lord of the RIngs and I loved the number of modes, the variety and especially the journey it took you on.

I'm not sure yet but from what I've seen it seems like these have deep gameplay with (many?) more modes and things to do compared to Stern games, and also seem like they take you on a journey.

I'm in no hurry; if I decide to get one I won't mind if it takes a year as for me getting the right machine is more important because I'll only be allowed one!

I'm in no hurry; if I decide to get one I won't mind if it takes a year as for me getting the right machine is more important because I'll only be allowed one!

All the more reason I wouldn't settle on a keeper as your first - all games you'll tire of eventually and want to swap out and if its one you don't want to part with you'll be stuck with it. It sounds counter intuitive, but with a small collection you're actually better off with games that you won't mind moving on, that way you'll get to play and sample and enjoy way more over the course of time.

All the more reason I wouldn't settle on a keeper as your first - all games you'll tire of eventually and want to swap out and if its one you don't want to part with you'll be stuck with it. It sounds counter intuitive, but with a small collection you're actually better off with games that you won't mind moving on, that way you'll get to play and sample and enjoy way more over the course of time.
I do plan to try out other pinballs, but I'm oddly enough doing it in reverse: I'm going to join the UK Pinball League next season as they've finished for this year, so my plan is to try out a range then.

In the meantime if a Hobbit comes up (hopefully after having got to try one first!) I may be interested. Otherwise I'll try out many other pinballs next year and see if any of the newer pins I haven't seen yet leap out at me.

if you want to do well at the league probably hobbit isn't going to help!

To be fair, it does depend on how many pins you have on site locally.

I have Pinball Republic, Chief Coffee and Funland within cycling distance, and we’ve done a couple of train trips to The Pinball Office.

I’ve rated 75 pins on Pinside, and played a lot more, over the last year, and I don’t really want to keep swapping things in and out. So, my collection is ‘stuff I liked enough that I’d like to play it daily at home’. I can imagine, at some point, I might get good enough at pinball that these pins stop being a challenge, but I deliberately chose stuff that was notable for providing a challenge.
My last, and by far favourite, pin was Lord of the RIngs and I loved the number of modes, the variety and especially the journey it took you on.

I'm not sure yet but from what I've seen it seems like these have deep gameplay with (many?) more modes and things to do compared to Stern games, and also seem like they take you on a journey.
I’ve played multiple modern Sterns (with the exception of Elvira) and several JJP games (The Hobbit, GnR, WOZ, Dialed In). I also own LoTR.

My personal feeling is that several of the modern Sterns give the same level of theme immersion as the JJPs and are cheaper. So, I’d strongly recommend (especially as you’re interested in League) playing Keith Elwin’s Jurassic Park and Avengers Infinity Quest.

Jurassic Park, especially, has all the tension of driving through paddocks, trying to save staff from hunting dinosaurs, and flinging a tranq dart under pressure. Once you get a game going, it’s absolutely gripping, and has some amazing shots. The Premium edition, with the moving T-Rex, is above your budget (about £9k), but you can pick up a Pro for about £6-7k, which has most of the gameplay, and add lots of aesthetic mods.

Avengers Infinity Quest has some of the most complex code of any pinball machine. Although playfield toys are notable by their absence, the ramp shots are amazing, and it also has a strong feeling of playing through a film by trying to defeat various bad guys to retrieve the infinity stones and defeat Thanos.

JJP pins have a lot of fans, but my personal feeling, having played them, is that they’re very very physically pretty, but they’re overrated in terms of gameplay relative to the cost. Dialed In is a great fun modern reimplementation of a System 11 like Earthshaker or Whirlwind, Wizard of Oz is an orgy of toys with pretty average gameplay, and The Hobbit feels somewhat too complicated for what it is. I had fun playing Guns and Roses once Chris explained the rules, but it isn’t exceptional gameplay-wise - it’s just some way above average and a dream pin for Guns and Roses fans. As with all these things, this is a personal opinion, but I would definitely try some of the modern Sterns (there are a lot about onsite) before trying to track down JJP pins that are pretty rare in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom