What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I have a Revenge From Mars sample/proto?

PeteB

Registered
5Years
Alias
Random Username
First of all, I've just finished my first ever arcade monitor repair. The WG K7302 in my RFM was completely dead when I bought the game. Replaced all the capacitors, a few transisters, some diodes and resistors and installed a brand new fly-back. Gave everything a good clean as it was filthy.

farm9.staticflickr.com_8586_16272777087_cc8a2cf595_z.jpg

Put it all back together and it worked flawlessly. I was like:

38.media.tumblr.com_504cb94fe0f41e563f435ee2f833dcb5_tumblr_n4ra60H5W41rkoffro1_400.gif

Now I was finally able to get into the menu system and take a look around, put it on free play etc. Looked at the system information and found this:

farm9.staticflickr.com_8591_16272782847_97d07ded54_z.jpg

As far as I'm aware, RFM's were released with either v1.0 or v1.1 game software. So how is it I have v0.91? Could this be some early sample version of the game? Are there any other tell tale signs that I could look for?

If it's nothing special then fine. I'll get over it.

Last edited:
I tried upgrading from 1.2 to 1.5 and it failed halfway through, pretty sure it went back to the version you have.

I think the upgrade has to done in stages mate. Will find out soon.

Update on this:

Turns out I do not have a proto, at least I don't think so. I checked with this http://www.pinball2000.de/rfm_proto.htm and while mine has couple of the proto features, it doesn't have them all so I reckon it was just early in the production series.

Version 1.5 of the software loaded on straightaway with no problems, no updating in steps. I used an XP laptop from 2005 with a serial port on it. The software works in Windows 7 but I don't have a machine with a serial port on it. The update was very easy.

All is good.

I used an xp laptop with a usb to serial adapter, probably the reason it went tits up halfway through.

Possibly. I haven't tried one of those USB adapters. Maybe try it again with a slower baud rate?

Back
Top Bottom