What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress DMD LED COLOUR INSTALLATION

Banzaipinabll

Site Supporter
Alias
Mike
After reading the thread on this new display I decided to take the plunge and try one. Ordered it about 3 weeks ago and it arrived today. I was a little apprehensive to how easy it would be get working and I have to say so far no issues.

Came well packed, but zero instructions. IMG_2320.jpgIMG_2321.jpgIMG_2322.jpgIMG_2323.jpgIMG_2324.jpgIMG_2325.jpg

IMG_2326.jpg IMG_2327.jpg IMG_2328.jpg So out the box, now got to figure out how to connect, as no instructions I head to the forum for power connections. It comes complete with 2 plastic connecters to link power to the 100v from the display board. Simple job and take no time at all. I think I will improve this connection later on when I am happy all is good

Next connect the ribbon cable. It does seem to go in both ways round, so could easily be put in the wrong way
IMG_2329.jpg

So, plugged it in and hoped for the best. fired up first time and I was loving the colour and the brightness. Smile on my face. It cycled through a few frames before going to the activation screen and then goes no further. Have sent the $10 for the key and I will update on progressIMG_2330.jpgIMG_2332.jpgIMG_2334.jpg

So time to replace with old DMD, very easy. Not sure why I re-attached the ground cable, guess I don't need it. IMG_2335.jpgIMG_2336.jpgIMG_2337.jpgIMG_2338.jpg

Houston we have a problem, noticed something not right, put in test mode and found a dead LED in the top right corner. guess best place for dead LED, but a little disappointed it's not 100%, email pinged and awaiting a response. So far I am happy with the look and the colours and It was a very easy fit so far. Worth saying i paid 8 euro for the SD card and asked for the 4 colour palette that best suits TOM to be pre loaded. IMG_2339.jpg

Your bottom left dot isn't 100% either I think?

So this is an alternative to ColorDMD I think, which costs £330 and has options for normal dots, extra dots, joined-up lines, and some kind of computer generated thing.

This one costs how much, has what options?

Is there a third option?

I see, When I looked again it works fine, must just be the photo. This cost we £182 delivered. I believe the options for colour are, 4 colours which was already pre loaded for me. I believe you can also change the colouring on each frame if you have the desire and time using a piece of software. I was need a replacement DMD so this seemed a good choice and I believe a good choice for the price

Seems well worth it, slightly cheaper than the Dr.pinball lcd replacement ( not sure if they are still available...anyone? ) but more configurable as not just limited to pallet swaps. ColorDMD's are currently £349!!! due to poor exchange rate :(.

Hence is the problem with Generic LED panels unfortunately. Bulk produced in China, and not overly expensive.

Out of the 20 I ordered for the pinball clock, 2 were faulty. Luckilly I had ordered two as samples to test beforehand, so was all good :) Issues are usually down to LED's not properly solders on, or knocked in transit.

I bet if you gently push the offending LED, it'll come on...

If you get a decent seller however, they will "send you extra" on your next order..........

Ok, Now got the activation key, downloaded it, renamed file, copied on to SD card, plunged back in and works a treat. Just need to change the panel when a replacement comes. Happy with the overall product and very easy to set up. I would recommend the seller put a one page instruction sheet and maybe charge 10 euros more and put the activation on the SD card and then it would be pretty much plug and play.IMG_2356.jpg

I can confirm it really was that easy. All the setup is done from three buttons on the back, you can scroll through the various colour modes, brightness, machine type all from the menu.

The colour modes are 16 shades of a fixed colour like yellow, blue, green, reg etc or a custom pallet or a 16 colour...

Brightness goes from normal (minimum) but retina burning maximum...

In my Flintstones I am running at one stop off minimum

C

I also like the look of these, if I had not already got a pinled I would have bought one. Think how good they would look if they done one for Sega super DMD

Replacement panel arrived and now fitted. Fully working now and very happy with the display. Next job is to start playing around with the colours. Would recommend and easy to install........

Attachments

• IMG_2417.MOV.mov
    13.6 MB · Views: 11
Looks awesome! glad you got it sorted out quickly, I guess these will sell like hot caked

i can see these stealing the colorDMD market as it's basically half the price and does the same thing

more likely drive colordmd price to be more sensible although I think colordmd looks a lot better quality wise.

Back
Top Bottom