What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity
Been following this thread and interested in buying one of these displays, can anyone who has bought give some advice if it is a good buy?

What do you mean about clock Courtney ??
If you refer to pin2dmd Editor, clock is simply an animation, so push STOP and animation will stop to work.
At any rate if you load your own animation file, and select it, will may work with it.

And about WIFI module, last version v2.32, support already it, so download files and instructions from pin2dmd Github to load firmware to WIFI module, besides the firmware to board:
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware

Instrucionts to load WIFI fimware are in Flash.md file:
  • Flash stm_esp_loader.bin on your pin2dmd controller board using ST-Link Utility or stm_esp_loader.dfu using DfuSe Demo
  • Start ESP8266Flasher.exe with pin2dmd usb port connected
  • Set the Speed of the comport to 115200 under Advanced tab
  • Set the Files and Memory area as follows in the Config tab
  • Start Flash on Operations tab
flash boot_v1.5bin from to 0x00000 flash blank.bin to 0x3FE000 flash user1.bin to 0x01000

• Flash pin2dmd firmware on the controller.

Been following this thread and interested in buying one of these displays, can anyone who has bought give some advice if it is a good buy?
Yes - it is !
Use one on my 'proper' pinball and visual pinball.
Dont forget the extra $10 on the price you have to pay out to activate the firmware.
I personally wouldnt go back to plasma DMD.

Fair point, but there mut still be a way of configuring the Wifi SSID and password and ip address etc..

The WiFi is a waste of time on the current firmware. You can not get into the SD card where all the files you need to change are. WiFi is only a few euros more - thats why I added it onto one of the displays I had but I see little point in being able to upload firmware on wifi. Until they make it so you can communicate directly with the display via some kind of app to change palettes it is a waste.

Did you ever get eny of the software working on a mac ? I have not yet.

Hi Luis,

In the editor, it seems to show a 24hr clock on the screen and also on top of the animations I am trying to work on, is there anyway to disable this in the editor?

Regards

C

Hi Luis,

In the editor, it seems to show a 24hr clock on the screen and also on top of the animations I am trying to work on, is there anyway to disable this in the editor?

Regards

C

Clock in editor is simply an internal animation, push STOP button and clock animation will stop.
Then load your own animation and instead of see clock will see your animation.

If only want creat a new palette without animation file, don't worry about clock animation, simply select your colors and save palette.

I have create some preconfigured color palettes, so for test purposes its very fast to check it.

This is file with several files and instructions.
https://mega.nz/#!tUtnFRoL!jk5lGFxTHKpPhR8Fbc2rraF3z2VgFC0BEYZ8QjVUg3o

Color palettes preconfigured are following:

Black, Red, Pink, Yellow ------> suggest for Theatre of Magic and Medieval Madness.
Black, Blue, Red, Yellow
Black, Blue Dark, Blue Light, White -----> Good look in X-Files
Black, Blue Dark, Green, White
Black, Blue Light, Blue Dark, White
Black, Blue Light, Orange, White -----> Suggest for Addams Family
Black, Blue Light, Red, White
Black, Green, Blue, Yellow
Black, Green, Blue Dark, White
Black, Green, Blue Light, White
Black, Green, Orange, White -------> Suggest for Attack from Mars (or better replace orange by red).

Instructions, rename file desired to pin2dmd.pal and copy to root directoy in SD card, reset DMD.

Looks a bit complicated for me, If I could just order one to plug and play for a specific game I would try one.

Looks a bit complicated for me, If I could just order one to plug and play for a specific game I would try one.
I'm the same. Not my field in the slightest. Hopefully someone here will set up a midway 3rd party service and charge a fee on top to upload your required game and forward it on ready to plug and play. Not sure why the developers don't offer that service for a fee, would be easy to offer at their end before sending it out...

No problem about it, if you want the DMDST32 preconfigured for a specific game with SD card and all files installed ready to work (except key license that you must request to Joerg from pin2dmd, to activate firmware), simply must add +8 euros. This include the micro SD card FAT32 formated, with config file for your machine and several color palettes also preconfigured (one loaded, and several more in a folder, to choose, rename and put in root directly of SD card, each palette file name is the colors that apply).

Currenty color palette files preconfigured are following, but I may add more for a specifyc game, after check here what is the good look for it:

Black, Red, Pink, Yellow ------> suggest for Theatre of Magic and Medieval Madness.
Black, Blue, Red, Yellow
Black, Green, Orange, White -------> Suggest for Attack from Mars (or better replace orange by red).

For 8 euro extra that is not a bad deal from Luis.

Likewise if anyone based in the UK wants a hand then get in touch, the only thing I wouldnt do is colourise a rom from scratch.

All I would say is I went thru quire a few palettes to find the one that I feel looks the best in certain games. Once you have done it once, it is not really difficult. Say if you ever wanted to change the display to another machine - you would probably change the .pal file so it is best to know how to do it.

An issue I found is a slight language barrier. As a lot of the people who worked on this technology are european - sometimes cerain instructions are not explained in the detail they need to be. Please do not get me wrong here - Luis communicates better in English than I do in Spanish.

It would be great when someone writes the iPhone/android app to be able to communicate with the display. I know it is on the cards at somepoint.

No problem about it, if you want the DMDST32 preconfigured for a specific game with SD card and all files installed ready to work (except key license that you must request to Joerg from pin2dmd, to activate firmware), simply must add +8 euros. This include the micro SD card FAT32 formated, with config file for your machine and several color palettes also preconfigured (one loaded, and several more in a folder, to choose, rename and put in root directly of SD card, each palette file name is the colors that apply).

Currenty color palette files preconfigured are following, but I may add more for a specifyc game, after check here what is the good look for it:

Black, Blue, Red, Yellow
Forgive my ignorance on this as well but would I be correct in assuming you still need to use the video driver board in your pinball machine to provide the data but not the HV cable. The reason I ask is if you have a dodgy HV section on your video driver board using this display may get around that and give you a colour display to boot !!

Look forward to your reply

Cheers

kev

Forgive my ignorance on this as well but would I be correct in assuming you still need to use the video driver board in your pinball machine to provide the data but not the HV cable. The reason I ask is if you have a dodgy HV section on your video driver board using this display may get around that and give you a colour display to boot !!

Cheers

kev

Yup :) Still need the Data from the Machine to the display, however the display is separately powered.... :)

Cheers

kev

Dont worry, from real pinball only need connect Flat Data cable, pinball to DMD.

This DMDST32 display install its own power supply attached to DMD, only need connect one cable with two wires to 100VAC from pinball (may get it from video controller board in WPC, from power supply board in Data East, from auxiliar supply board in Stern, etc....), its AC so connect direct from transformer, do not need power supply circuit from pinball.

On my williams flintstones I have poweed t from the original HV connector as it had 5v and ground available. Works perfect.

I cant reccommend these screens enough.

I ordered one and had a lot of trouble getting it working, Luis talked to me a lot on whatsapp and help me a lot. Turns out both my SD cards were pretty much ****ed. Trip to tesco for an emergency SD card and 10 minutes later it was working!

They really do look 10/10 installed

On my williams flintstones I have poweed t from the original HV connector as it had 5v and ground available. Works perfect.

Just flagging a warning on using the 5v from the original display......

The WPC 5v rail is powered by a LM323 regulator which is rated at 3A max, from tests on my Pin2DMD at full brightness all pixels white it can pull up to 4.5A, given the rail is also powering the CPU, Fliptronics, Power Driver and Sound boards you may want to power it by a separate 5v supply to avoid resets and stressing the table. You can use a simple 5v 5A mains adapter something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-24...er-Supply-for-LED-Strip-CCTV-UK-/291087849273 it can be screwed inside the backbox and powered from mains at the transformer connection.

For a similar reason its best to also avoid using the 12v supply to the original DMD through a 12v to 5v convertor as that's pulled through a 1A diode.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :-(

Dont worry, from real pinball only need connect Flat Data cable, pinball to DMD.

This DMDST32 display install its own power supply attached to DMD, only need connect one cable with two wires to 100VAC from pinball (may get it from video controller board in WPC, from power supply board in Data East, from auxiliar supply board in Stern, etc....), its AC so connect direct from transformer, do not need power supply circuit from pinball.
Thanks Luis - me thinks I will be ordering one of these soon!!

Luis - Is there any chance we could have a link to the full set of instructions you provide with these, so I can read up in advance, so I can see what I am up against ? Think it would also help everyone else on here

Cheers

Kev

Hello newdos.

I posted in the forum full instructions to config/update device:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...actured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-2#post-173575
http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...actured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-3#post-173780

If you mean where connect DMD to power supply 100VAC in pinball, this is for example for a Bally/williams (WPC, WPC89, WPC-S), pin3 and 5 connector J605, video controller board:

oi67.tinypic.com_2libyc3.jpg

Hi Luis.

What settings/palette would you recommend for a World Poker Tour ?

Hello newdos.

I posted in the forum full instructions to config/update device:
http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...actured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-2#post-173575
http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...actured-by-pinballsp.33923/page-3#post-173780

If you mean where connect DMD to power supply 100VAC in pinball, this is for example for a Bally/williams (WPC, WPC89, WPC-S), pin3 and 5 connector J605, video controller board:

oi67.tinypic.com_2libyc3.jpg
Hi Luis,

I know the instructions are sort of on the forum, but I meant a link to the actual instructions that are supplied with kit if possible ?

cheers

Kev

Hi Luis.

What settings/palette would you recommend for a World Poker Tour ?

A friend mine in Spain, is working to apply advanced color to WPT:
http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2604-world-poker-tour/

SAM is 16 colors, so very good look if you custom with different color palettes by animation.
http://pin2dmd.com/editor/

Stern SAM and Spike, both work with 16 colors, so the best look will be also advanced color by animation. Its not so hard like some people think, and you can go progressively, coloring animations and updating the files to DMD.

i67.tinypic.com_ra9qu9.jpg

i67.tinypic.com_262v7e9.jpg

i66.tinypic.com_az9g5l.jpg

Back
Top Bottom