What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Divorce whilst claiming pension- Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stags6969

Registered
Alias
Bilbo Stag
If I'm not allowed to ask this sort of question then please delete this.
A friend of mine (74 years old) is about to dragged through a divorce.
What I'm trying to ascertain is whether the pension he is in receipt of is part of the assets that need to be divided up?
And would the CETV of this pension now reduced by a large amount due to his age?
Thanks for the help

No idea. But try counselling.

Divorce could be horribly divisive and seriously economically destructive for these people

Thanks David.
I'm trying to stop him being taken to the cleaners, as he refuses to see a solicitor, saying that he will sort it himself. But there are several assets involved, so I was trying to roughly tot it up to guide him in the right direction, if he is adamant to not seeing a solicitor.
That was why I wondered if his in receipt pension gets added to the pot.

I will go to CAB myself, but my wife used to work for them and unless things have changed, they won't be much help.
They may be able to answer the question I have posed though I guess.
After going through a divorce myself, I know how rough they can be. I certainly don't envy a 74 year old having to go through it. 😪

20 percent minimum for sure and more depending on circumstances

What do you mean Neil?
20% of his pension goes in the pot, or his CETV will have reduced by 20%

Having been through it - your friend needs to go see a solicitor, ASAP. He is not being realistic to think he can deal with this on his own, even if it is amicable at this stage. As soon as the other side get legal advice, it will become less amicable and he will need someone who is equipped to level the playing field in his favour.

I know that all too well Alan and believe you me, we are working on him, to try and get him to see one.
There is also the family home in trust to their children that complicates matters even more. But at this moment in time, there is no talking sense into him.

I know that all too well Alan and believe you me, we are working on him, to try and get him to see one.
There is also the family home in trust to their children that complicates matters even more. But at this moment in time, there is no talking sense into him.
He probably needs a bit of time to come to terms with it..........

The only thing I know is when my brother had a divorce he went to the solicitors and claimed for legal aid straight away , saved him thousand's !

Having been through it - your friend needs to go see a solicitor, ASAP. He is not being realistic to think he can deal with this on his own, even if it is amicable at this stage. As soon as the other side get legal advice, it will become less amicable and he will need someone who is equipped to level the playing field in his favour.

Seconded - completely. Having been through two divorces it never ends amicably, and the only winners are the Solicitors.
People always think that things can be sorted easilly... as above until the other party goes to see a solicitor/chats to friends and they get told everything that they can take from the relationship - then the ball game changes dramatically...

Crikey, this makes for some dark reading. Heart goes out to the poor fella having to deal with this **** at 74! Ridiculous. Would like to think at that age the parties involved would acquiesce to simply live out their remaining days apart. Instead of lining the pockets of legal folk and bickering over who gets what pennies. Just really feel for the bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one appears to have given a definitive answer - yes, his pension will count towards assets to be divvied up. https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice...change/when-relationships-end/pension-sharing

He definitely needs to see a solicitor. If his other half does, and he doesn't, the likelihood is that he'll end up on the other side disproportionately disadvantaged, which is to say screwed over.
Just used the live chat on the above website to confirm the private pension will be taken into consideration.
Apparently the value of this pension is calculated differently, as it is already in payment.
Thanks everyone for your help.
This thread can now be closed as I have the answer I needed.
I will try my best to get him legal advice before it's too late.
Thanks again.

As you request.. Good luck to him (as unfortunately i think he may need it) 😢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom