What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Display your "alias" now!!

Paul

Staff member
Alias
Toibs
Hi all,

If you used to be on the old Yahoo Group - or in fact if you are otherwise known as something other than your username as you are known on here, you now have the chance to make this available (more than likely just on the Browser versions of the forum)...

If you go to your profile by clicking on the following whilst logged in.... https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/account/account-details

You will see a field called "Alias"... If you fill in the Alias field, it will appear in your drop-down underneath your username....

Pics...

1571816871765.png

1571817014551.png

As you can see it is Truncated, so try to keep it short :)

Should be accessible to all.. Please let me know!

Paul

It's worth saying that this new facility stemmed from a request to have somewhere on the forum where people's real names could be linked with their forum username. I don't think your introductory comments make that clear at all.

Several (many?) of us like to know who we are talking to when we exchange views on the forum

If people use the "alias" field just to add a different username or similar, and not their real names in my view the new field will not be of the benefit it would have been if just defined as "Real Name"

Agree with where the request came from, however disagree on the use - It's Really meant for either - It's meant for people to put a more recognizable name - so as i mentioned - Yahoo username, Real name - anything that would make people go "ahh yes - i remember Him/Her". Shouldn't specifically be "real name" as people might be uncomfortable with that.

So - for example - @Poibug would be a perfect demonstration of this - I know him as Chris but i recognise him also as Poibug... however it allows for the display of both :)

I know you as David D... so by looking at your profile i might not recognise "DAD".. But I know who you are from your Alias :)

another Example would be @mufcmufc - I would recognise him as maybe "Stormy Nik", or "Nick M"...

I could add another for the (usually) three letter "tag" that is left on machines around the country if the demand is there.

Yes but that's my whole point, you might know who stormy Nik refers to but someone less involved in the hobby probably won't. And the confusion with the Scottish guy between me and David Dodds just illustrates the problems that can arise.

If the field was "Real Name" anyone uncomfortable with giving that information could just leave it blank.

At the moment reading the introduction it implies (to me) that the field is designed only for an alternate username - there's no mention of even the possibility of putting a real name here

Shouldn't specifically be "real name" as people might be uncomfortable with that.
And this to me is the main issue with many forums, not just PI.
People hiding behind aliases, if you want your view to be respected or listened to at least have the common decency to put your name to it.

I haven't a clue who half of the people are with 'non-name' user names, and as such rarely pay much attention to what they have to say.

People hiding behind aliases, if you want your view to be respected or listened to at least have the common decency to put your name to it.

I haven't a clue who half of the people are with 'non-name' user names, and as such rarely pay much attention to what they have to say.
Security is a good reason, if you have a decent collection of machines that could be inviting some very bad people getting interested in you.
Name or no name I treat all the same, think those comments are out of order really.

Understand Wayne, however thats down to the individual now.... if that individual wishes to share that information then they now can - if they dont then they dont have to.... :)

I cant force people to do it - its down to now individuals if they wish to do so.

Reactions: JT.
Agree with where the request came from, however disagree on the use - It's Really meant for either - It's meant for people to put a more recognizable name - so as i mentioned - Yahoo username, Real name - anything that would make people go "ahh yes - i remember Him/Her". Shouldn't specifically be "real name" as people might be uncomfortable with that.

So - for example - @Poibug would be a perfect demonstration of this - I know him as Chris but i recognise him also as Poibug... however it allows for the display of both :)

I know you as David D... so by looking at your profile i might not recognise "DAD".. But I know who you are from your Alias :)

another Example would be @mufcmufc - I would recognise him as maybe "Stormy Nik", or "Nick M"...

I could add another for the (usually) three letter "tag" that is left on machines around the country if the demand is there.

Luckily for me my name is only 3 letters so my initials/game tag have always been easy to recognise. My life is simpler on this front, thank god..

J I M :)

Security is a good reason, if you have a decent collection of machines that could be inviting some very bad people getting interested in you.
Name or no name I treat all the same, think those comments are out of order really.

Ahahaha if you think your alias on a forum protects you :>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree Wayne.

There are many in the pinball community I would trust without reservation with my most expensive game, but on the other hand there are a few I wouldn't want any dealings with at all.

Since the dodgy ones are the most likely to hide behind an alias I'm much happier taking trouble to help people when I know who they are

I'm in the situation where there's another man in pinball with the same name, who I met once at a Deith Leisure/Williams tech lecture.

Plus my user name here could be taken as a real name, though in fact it reflects my view of the 'information superhighway' (itself an obsolete term AIUI).

I tend to agree with the comment Wayne made. I look at most of the aliases and I have no clue who they relate to. It doesnt help that i dont know so many people anyway!
You get to this crazy situation where people at pinfest are better off wearing their alias as a badge than their real name. It is pretty mad. But a great advert for the forum.
Anyway mine is simply my full name. No confusion possible. No need for anything else then.

Can we have an updated Alias thread 😊

Loving the occupation field too, that is hilarious!

Can you expand on that?

It is fairly trivial to do some Googling to find out more about people. I used to be obsessed with poker, and in the community forums there a guy turned up and started acting up. He 'bought' (and never paid) for a set of poker chips from another member. About 10 minutes of googling later I found broadly where he lived, what car he drove, the names of a couple of his friends and basically used this to convince him I knew him and would disclose his real name etc if he didn't pay up (which of course he then did).

Long story short - if you've got any kind of presence on the internet, then stringing the details together isn't usually too hard.

It is fairly trivial to do some Googling to find out more about people. I used to be obsessed with poker, and in the community forums there a guy turned up and started acting up. He 'bought' (and never paid) for a set of poker chips from another member. About 10 minutes of googling later I found broadly where he lived, what car he drove, the names of a couple of his friends and basically used this to convince him I knew him and would disclose his real name etc if he didn't pay up (which of course he then did).

Long story short - if you've got any kind of presence on the internet, then stringing the details together isn't usually too hard.

One of the reasons I don’t do social media , too many people being nosey.
Seen some tv that showed how easy it was to get info on people but just can’t get my head around how an unrelated username can be used to find out who you are from someone looking in?
Had dealings with quite a few people on here who have my details which is not a problem as they are trusted members it’s just I don’t like the idea a stranger could get my details.

Back
Top Bottom