What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Pinball

Hi

I've been busy on this - got it very nearly finished,
95 tables, all present and correct with PinballX as the front end.
I gave up properly hinging the backbox so it's in 'EM mode' (you can detach it, but with care- its just held in with 4 leg bolts into cross-braces in the main body.)

Few issues with the analog nudging going out of calibration and giving phantom inputs
(I think this may be heat related as I 've not installed the rear fans yet)
But its dialled in other than that, although I'm not a greatly skilled nudger so would need to get someone who actually knows what they're doing to really tell me how good/bad it was.

Still got to sort out the artwork printing (will be TAF as I have good quality scans of this)
Also got to clean the legs and sort them out abit, so I have to kneel on the floor to play it at the moment.
Other than that a bit of cable tidying, install the fans and its done
I've got a load more pics - I'll upload them later on when I get home

Been playing a lot of CV on it as its one of the most recently done VP10 tables and looks fantastic

That's the problem with making a WIP playable, suddenly all the little finishing off jobs get put to one side for playtesting!

Edit: Also got to sort out some form of cover/rails for the playfield screen - probably just use a Perspex sheet and some right angled aluminium strips held on with double sided tape as it does need to be removable.

Last edited:
Few more pics as promised - 3 screen testing after swapping the GTX580 for a GTX660 as noted earlier
The time consuming work software wise is firing up each table to let it write out the NVRAM and then setting volume in the ROM and correctly locating the DMD.
You also need to set the script to uses the DB2S backglass (espically on alphanumeric games where this drives the displays)
So you have to go through each table.
That and making PinballX play nice took about a day, but its not difficualt so I just stuck on a few podcasts and did the lot in one hit,

WP_20151114_19_46_34_Pro.jpg WP_20151118_08_22_22_Pro.jpg WP_20151120_22_18_59_Pro.jpg WP_20151121_21_34_46_Pro.jpg
Few ingame shots too - CV and MM are both in the new Visual Pinball 10 engine, whereas RBION is in the older VP9.

I need to take a few more - I've wired up the lights in the buttons at the front now.

I'll do a video at somepoint where I can show how the nudging works.....

I'm not a skilled video guy so sorry for the shakey crappy quality!
Video 1 - Nudge test on CV (as the Ringmaster and ball are a nice way of showing it off)

Nearly there - I'll do the artwork when I can be bothered to do some Photoshop work and I'll grab some acrylic and a couple of metres of 1x1cm right angled aluminium for the 'glass' and 'side rails'
But I've been allowed by my wife to put it up on its new legs for a few days to test, but I suspect I'll need to get pretty good at taking them on and off as even this machine is a bit of a squeeze in our tiny flat.

One slightly amusing aside is that with the accelerometer installed you do actually need to level the table as you would a real one, so a spirit level is required to set this one up ;)

Apart from the above and a small bit of sanding and touching up (which will never happen as its on the back of the machine) I'd say I'm pretty much done :)

Any specific questions - I'm happy to help where I can :)

Attachments

• WP_20151203_17_38_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20151203_17_38_32_Pro.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 13
very nice write up should inspire a few people
you mention podcasts whats that about post 34

Ah - I just meant I put on a few podcasts to listen to while I did some of the more non-complex bits of the build (This American Life was the podcast by the way and I recommend it : ) )

Actually that isn't so bad, repetitive but not horribly complex once you've done one.
I will happily do go walkthrough of how to do the software side of this if people want.

yeah that would be good, hopefully be at that stage in the new year.

Good to see you have it finished (well as finished as you need it anyhow)

Been a while, but I've finally gotten around to doing the artwork for it....i1361.photobucket.com_albums_r672_grunger106_WP_20160320_12_17_34_Pro_zpswkgfmohg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom