What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Digital Pinball Coming To An ASDA Near You ?

99.9% certain that it's running The Pinball Arcade, just from the included Gottlieb games. Looked closer and yep, that's TPA alright.

Quite an expensive way to own Gottlieb TPA tables. Also with the way TPA handles nudging you're going to be throwing that thing around.

I wonder if it's the same company who make the arcade1up repo's?

The outer box is EXACTLY the same design lay out as the arcade1up retro arcade games.

Those arcade1up games work on a single board with a 'blob' in the middle that does most the clever stuff :)

However I would imagine even playing something that is bloody awful like pinball arcade needs more processing power than that. Also has to get to a 24 inch screen so it has to be running at maybe 480i at a complete guess.

Without a doubt if it was running Pinball arcade - it would have 'Pinball Arcade' on it somewhere knowing those guys, unless its completely ripped off which is also possible as its going to be made in china/Indonesia etc

My advice - keep your £400+ in your pocket (it will be that by the time it hits the UK shores, if it does!). If you insist on a mini digital pinball - this kind of thing will be better as it runs visual pinball 9 as well as FX2 games:

On the other hand - it could encourage new people into the hobby so I may be talking absolute rubbish yet again.....

However I would imagine even playing something that is bloody awful like pinball arcade needs more processing power than that. Also has to get to a 24 inch screen so it has to be running at maybe 480i at a complete guess.

Without a doubt if it was running Pinball arcade - it would have 'Pinball Arcade' on it somewhere knowing those guys, unless its completely ripped off which is also possible as its going to be made in china/Indonesia etc
I believe it's Pinball Arcade, and licensed even if it doesn't proclaim Pinball Arcade anywhere on the box or the thing itself. It really doesn't take much more than an Android tablet's processing to work, especially on the relatively basic Gottlieb table simulations/emulations.

Farsight Studios have been licensing out their engine + table repros fully rebranded for a long time, especially Gottlieb table packs - such as on the PSP. I also know that Pinball Arcade is really hurting right now with the loss of the Williams licenses so they would have been looking for alternate funding sources. They still have a Stern partnership in some manner but have the same issues as Stern has regarding licensing of band rights, movie rights etc. puts a time limit on sales on the most expensive simulations they could possibly make.

Agreed that Pinball Arcade is pretty awful in terms of pinball simulation but frankly I find it a little better than the VP series. The only sims that have actually been 'good' in my estimation, are the Pro Pinball series of older original games, and Pinball FX3's WIlliam's table reproductions in their 'Sim' mode which is still not especially accurate, but at least it has a decent feel, but I still think TPA gets certain things down better than FX3 does, in terms of pure 'real table replication'.

But at the end of the day - regardless of the sim you would choose to use - this little device is far from the only way - and probably far from an ideal or even good way. The one you linked is likely to be a crapload better. Though personally I think virtual pins have all the gameplay feel of a broken arm. At least when you're playing with a keyboard the input mechanism is more direct for the benefit of not being a poor copy of the real thing, and you can study a table's rules and scoring better for when you play a real one.

Back
Top Bottom