What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difficulties Depositing Cash

DRD

Registered
HSBC has long been one of the better banks. Well capitalised. Did not need aggressive government support/ nationalising after Lehman Brothers ....

I was stunned yesterday to discover at the Newark branch
  1. They no longer have a banking counter
  2. You can only deposit cash using a machine
  3. That machine only works using Visa cards - not the newer Mastercards like the one issued to me

Net result, I can no longer deposit cash at this branch

You could try opening a account with said branch or go to another bank to open a new account and then transfer that over . if all else fails and last resort you could just give my wife said money and she will make that disappear no problem 😉

cash is a second rate citizen now, i’ve only got my window cleaner left who insists on cash, but he’s in for a shock next visit when i tell him it’s bank transfer from 1st Jan. The gardener, cleaners, butler, chauffeur and ladies of the night all now happy with a cashless bank transfer.

My regular HSBC branch still accepts cash over the counter. I also have an account with another bank that also insists on using machines - but at least my card works there.

Some banks have been charging fees to deposit cash in business acounts for a while.

As @AlanJ says, cash is dying out very, very quickly. Even our village hall bar (volunteer managed) takes card payments now as the cost of the machines/ skim have come right down.

It is still rather disconcerting/ sobering to be turned away from depositing cash at a high street bank when that is what generations of people have done there.

I think that as a community we are relatively unusual in regularly transacting legitimately with thousands of pounds in cash.

How long before criminals realise that folk in their homes have 24x7 access to substantial funds and that a brief hostage scenario could strip a family of tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds ?

Maybe now is the time to get into South Africa style panic buttons, armed response teams with sub machine guns and pump action shotguns sat at road junctions in Datsun Champ bakkies.

In the US that’s already happening Dave. But the whole switch to Mastercard by HSBC has been a total ****show as I use to use the machines for cash deposit also, now have to queue for half an hour!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that as a community we are relatively unusual in regularly transacting legitimately with thousands of pounds in cash.
Really? I'd be pretty uncomfortable with £5k cash in hand. (Plus who wants to count 250 bank notes?!)

As mentioned above the post office can pay money into your account over the counter, have done it to my First Direct account a couple of times recently using my new mastercard debit card, and First Direct is essentially just HSBC anyway.

And also Barclays went this way a few years ago before I moved away from them, got rid of all the counters in my local branch and put the machines in to do pay in, send money etc.

Back
Top Bottom