What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Deeproot Pinball – What’s It All About?

^^^^ Interesting read, from late 2018 though, I hope they have moved on since then.

Reading all this makes me want to build a pinball machine.......

^^^^ Yeah, I bet some of you Beta Testers wished you lived in USA so you could perhaps snag a dream job in Illinois.

Waiting for someone on this forum to decide to start a UK pinball manufacturer. I'd be in for helping out and taking a stake in the venture.

Any volunteers?????????

its all a load of old codswallop.

They haven't even got one game going after 4 years. and this game won't see the light of day until next year...

Most of the folks working there have left.

The chance of actually needing to worry about tickets and DLC ----> 0.

That's a bit harsh, Neil. So innovation, dreams, inventing, new ideas, creation etc are all a load of codswallop? Just as well NASA didn't laugh in the face of the person who suggested flying to the moon.

Personally, I applaud them. They're innovating and it takes time. I can't wait to see it. They're working on new ideas. They can't just knock them out overnight. Whether it changes pinball or not depends on how well they get it right on release. No one gets their new invention correct at the first attempt.

I think the only thing you can have a pop at them about is the big announcement. It's frustrating but it just shows they're very ambitious and can't wait to share what they're working on. It's been long enough. They've listened to feedback and held back.

Good luck to them.

That's a bit harsh, Neil. So innovation, dreams, inventing, new ideas, creation etc are all a load of codswallop? Just as well NASA didn't laugh in the face of the person who suggested flying to the moon.

Personally, I applaud them. They're innovating and it takes time. I can't wait to see it. They're working on new ideas. They can't just knock them out overnight. Whether it changes pinball or not depends on how well they get it right on release. No one gets their new invention correct at the first attempt.

I think the only thing you can have a pop at them about is the big announcement. It's frustrating but it just shows they're very ambitious and can't wait to share what they're working on. It's been long enough. They've listened to feedback and held back.

Good luck to them.

Well said Phil...

They are going about it the right way...

And at the end of the day, they haven't taken any ones money... So who cares they haven't launched...

👆 Got to agree with that. They should of came out from the shadows as the underdog and surprised everyone with a few titles. Instead, they have this huge promise to live up too.

People lose their minds over American Pinball back box, so this was always going to be a crazy reaction.

The pinbar looks a good addition. Would be good to draw the younger crowd in. It does look a bit rough and ready but that can change.

I can see a new era of video modes coming in where you have to touch things on the pinbar.

I'm looking forward to seeing what other games they do. More original themes the better.

Good luck to them.

I’d give you that if they had shown anything that was truly innovative -

In the game of pinball they have shown nothing that is innovative.

Ooh I can type my name in on a hi score and that nightmare long effort of using the flipper buttons is so hard!

Ooh I can set no extra balls on a touch screen. I can’t play the game because my hands are on fire because I forgot about the ball and flippers and the fact people have to play the game!

Ball and flippers and what’s under the glass is what counts and Raza has nothing that’s innovative. Even DP with TBL has more innovation!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I didn’t think I’d like an original theme but the use of colours on the playfield and the HD back box really do pop. I’m more excited now after viewing the above link than before.
I guess it’s a fine line on what you can leak due to the competition but potential buyers will likely give you more of a break if they see what’s in the pipeline.
I think they’ve tried their best with damage limitation by allowing the release of pics and detail.

I actually want to see more of these games.

What they should of done monday is released a 3 minute long promo film narrated with some footage of these games and the features? Maybe Deeproot need a brilliant marketing guy.

The crate for international shipping is a big plus - now many homepin Thunderbirds got messed up - answer ALL of them. A CGC/JJP game on a pallet wont go into a car or thru a doorway.

How many other games get damaged? - quite a few !

Whatever we all think - they have some amazing designers.

Stern put a magnet on a back panel or a ramp and everyone wets themselves.... it is hardly innovation.

The secret is - DO NOT run with your money in your hand. Give them some time (I know they have had a lot) and wait until they present a game hopefully at an event next year. If you attend that event, try it.

If Deeproot have any sense they will get someone to make machines under licenese. The way MMrm was first done in the Stern factory. Gary is a business man - he would do it.

The crate/pod is great for transporting overseas or multiples in a container/truck when stacked, I just don't see its use to the end user as a reusable transport system or even storage.

As I said there are many positives to be taken, the layout printed on the underside of the playfield is simple, cheap to do and will be of use to people.
I also like the shot log idea, being able to see what shots produced the great score you just achieved.

The pinbar opens up many more options for modes or shot selections.
Eg, An example of a mode. say there are 5 major shots on the playfield, you hit a scoop to start the mode, while the ball is trapped YOU then choose the order you need to make the shots with the touchscreen. Then make the shots in that order. Your choice of order determines the points awarded. Would take a second or 2 to use the touchscreen and select the shots, possible but cumbersome to do the same with flipper and action buttons.
I also don't get the fear over damage to the touchscreen, even with extremely aggressive play should be no issues. Just as likely to break a playfield glass with the same amount of abuse.

JJP diagnostic menu is vastly superior to Sterns, this could be a further step forward.

The big question is when/if it will go into mass production.

If I need a diagnostic system that is so good then they should have spent more money making the game reliable so I don't need a diagnostic system - I cant wait to see the price of the game :D

Just watched the recent Cary Hardy video and the pin looks very interesting. They gonna price it like a german car. Base price will be say 7k but you have what looks like unlimited options which I think could easily double it's price. Will be interesting to see what spec sells best.

Last edited:
Wait, this actually looked pretty good I thought. I like the car bonnet like playfield glass lift, I like that they're attempting to bullet proof play fields, I like the pinbar, I like that the game knows if it's level or not, I like the funky a$s back box.

If I need a diagnostic system that is so good then they should have spent more money making the game reliable so I don't need a diagnostic system - I cant wait to see the price of the game :D
They have three pricing levels.
One lower than Stern pro.... the upper one is a bit more than a Stern LE.
If it did not have diagnostic tools you would moan about that. That is a poor argument. The Stern diagnostic screen is probably 25 years old. Those are too lazy to write a new diagnostic/settings menu that is not the same as the old DMD. Stern do not even have a link to view a manual on the screen like a JJP.
NO pinball is 100% reliable. Spent a lot of time at Heighway trying to design a driver board that would shut down power to coils etc when they are faulty, same with lights. When you have a steel ball being belted around a playfield you will have issues.

Like everyone else - we do not know if these will ever come out. I hope they do!

Nobody will force you to buy one if they come out - but I would place a bet now you will buy one if they get released.

They have three pricing levels.
One lower than Stern pro.... the upper one is a bit more than a Stern LE.
If it did not have diagnostic tools you would moan about that. That is a poor argument. The Stern diagnostic screen is probably 25 years old. Those are too lazy to write a new diagnostic/settings menu that is not the same as the old DMD. Stern do not even have a link to view a manual on the screen like a JJP.
NO pinball is 100% reliable. Spent a lot of time at Heighway trying to design a driver board that would shut down power to coils etc when they are faulty, same with lights. When you have a steel ball being belted around a playfield you will have issues.

Like everyone else - we do not know if these will ever come out. I hope they do!

Nobody will force you to buy one if they come out - but I would place a bet now you will buy one if they get released.

Lets see what the pricing is if it ever hits a dealer.

Stern haven't changed the diagnostic system because it isn't needed - tell me why you need to change it? Are you saying that we should get rid of the clutch brake and accelerator design? and without serious money, nothing is 100% reliable. Manual on the game? handy when the game is dead!

why aren't we taking about a cool new magnetic mech, or a ramp that adjusts when you lock balls or set of interesting rules...

Cheers,
Neil

Hate to break ot ro you but that's exactly what has happened in the latest leccy cars.

not really. I don't know of an electric car that doesn't have accel and brake, many of them the motor brakes the car more aggressively than a IC engine, but I doubt you aren't hitting the brake pedal going round the M25 at peak time!

Lets see what the pricing is if it ever hits a dealer.

Stern haven't changed the diagnostic system because it isn't needed - tell me why you need to change it? Are you saying that we should get rid of the clutch brake and accelerator design? and without serious money, nothing is 100% reliable. Manual on the game? handy when the game is dead!

why aren't we taking about a cool new magnetic mech, or a ramp that adjusts when you lock balls or set of interesting rules...

Cheers,
Neil

Now Neil, you know well that games RARELY go completely dead. So again - not a valid argument for not having a manual onscreen on the game. Only seen one screen die on a JJP or Stern spike 2.

Your car when you start it does diagnostic checks and it has error codes. You cant make a car or a pinball they always have problems.

You also said this:
"If I need a diagnostic system that is so good then they should have spent more money making the game reliable so I don't need a diagnostic system - I cant wait to see the price of the game."

Now Neil, you know well that games RARELY go completely dead. So again - not a valid argument for not having a manual onscreen on the game. Only seen one screen die on a JJP or Stern spike 2.

Your car when you start it does diagnostic checks and it has error codes. You cant make a car or a pinball they always have problems.

You also said this:
"If I need a diagnostic system that is so good then they should have spent more money making the game reliable so I don't need a diagnostic system - I cant wait to see the price of the game."

LOL I'm being a bastard :D

these things are helpful but these nonivations to the average pinball player are valueless.

Neil.

LOL I'm being a bastard :D

these things are helpful but these nonivations to the average pinball player are valueless.

Neil.
The average player doesnt see the menus in an arcade setting. Whilst I am on the subject about stern menus - it isnt worth putting the manual onto the screen as its no more than a folded bit of paper in size. Basically rubbish! The WPC95 menu probably has more info than the stern system.
But I guess now most games go into peoples homes (I would say definately in the UK). I bet even you look at the menu when you get tech alerts and have to do some maintance.

On pricing - let's wait. By the time they come out in 12 months plus (maybe 12 months plus 12 months) - Sterns would of gone up another grand or two.

The problem is that the 'innovations' so far are just welcome deviations from the norm, ordinarily, but they aren't magical enough to overlook the big, big problem with new pinball almost every time - building the sodding things reliably. Deeproot only has words for this, no proof. They couldn't even demo that game of theirs correctly. They don't suggest that they have the operational basics in order, but they're already talking about 15 more games?! I'm sorry but to me that's a coked-up designer without a manager to tell them 'no'. The pattern is all over the place, too.

For all of their faults regarding the quality of the gameplay, that was one of the things that Homepin got dead right. They were actually convincing that they were capable of building what they were saying they were going to build - and then of course, they did. Total opposite of Deeproot so far.

And there is Neil driving around in his model T Ford and making calls on his Nokia 3220. "We don't need no innovations" :rofl:

only in Texas, where the infection rate is 1.2, deaths 20K an active cases 1M would they have a pinball streaming launch event in a coffee shop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.31.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-21 at 11.31.23.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 17
Back
Top Bottom