What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data East Star Wars Issue

maroguk

Registered
Alias
Steve
My DE Star Wars has an intermittent issue. About 30% of the time I play it. The DMD is less bright and flickers. Sometime so dull you can’t read it. Also it continuously says ‘May the Force be with you in game play. I checked the PS and got these readings

+5v = 4.99v
+12v = 9.8v
-12v = -13.0v

Readings for the HV output, left to tight are. -106v -114v 65v

The most suspicious one I think is the 9.8v on the 12v output

What are your thoughts on this?
Could a low 12v supply cause the fault?
Is it possible to adjust/fix the PS? I don’t see any obvious adjustments.
Could someone share the voltage readings from their DE PS with me?

Final point is it’s running LEDs. Could this have an impact?

Thanks
Steve

Yes.

Low 12v likely to be connectors fuse clips and capacitors on psu (top left board).

"May the force be with you" is resetting due to low voltage.

Capacitor c2 on the psu often leaks and should be changed if not already done.

If c2 has leaked you may also have issues with corroded traces on the board and those will also need to be fixed to ensure continuity. C2 is 5v which will cause the resetting issue you describe. But 12v and 5v are closely linked on the psu board and are off the same fuse. You can download circuit diagrams at ipdb.

If c2 has leaked you may also have issues with corroded traces on the board and those will also need to be fixed to ensure continuity. C2 is 5v which will cause the resetting issue you describe. But 12v and 5v are closely linked on the psu board and are off the same fuse. You can download circuit diagrams at ipdb.
Thanks for the advice. Today it has not had the issue. Voltages were 11.1v on the 12v output and -14.0v on the -12.0. The -14 is concerning. I’ll replace the caps on the PS board and see if that fixes it.

Back
Top Bottom