What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data East Star Wars - backglass paint separation

BomberHQ

Site Supporter
Alias
Bomber
Ive been asked to restore an all-original Star Wars thats been in storage for nearly 20 years ... the backglass paint seems to have separated from the glass in places and I wondered if there are any techniques to restore it?

The only other threads I can see on bubbling are translites, where the film can be carefully peeled back and relaid. This is paint on glass. There are a couple of small patches of missing paint due to mis-handling I suspect.

Incidentally, gently pressing the paint on a section thats separated doesnt bring it back in contact with the glass ... you cant 'move' the bubbles at all.

Thanks for any help!

My first shop Log to follow ... :)

Attachments

• Star Wars Translite - Front.jpg
    Star Wars Translite - Front.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Star Wars Translite - back.jpg
    Star Wars Translite - back.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 40
I always thought that it is a translight anyway . The second pic looks like it has been scratched ! Someone on here may have one they will let go from there collection , so you could put up a wanted ad and see what happens !

As Carl says is not painted its a translite ,take off the 4xblack plastic trims and carefully remove the translite from the glass, then clean the glass with glass cleaner and the translite and then dry with warm air (not hot ) use a hair drier on low .if you dont dry it well you will have it look like your first pic

Gents,

Thank you - youre absolutely right. Its a translite held in place with pieces of black tape (now very gluey) which the trims covered up. Its stuck to the glass pretty well, so it wont just peel off. Ive seen posts about carefully removing the translite in a warm humid environment, so maybe Ill take it down the local spa and see if theres any pinheads there ;-)

The scratched areas are small but annoying, so Ill clean and re-fix this one, and once everything is back together Ill see if the owner wants to spend on a new translite, as theyre not that expensive in the big scheme ...

Cheers for now!

Kevin.

Back
Top Bottom