What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data East Robocop flipper issue. *fixed*

M4carp

Site Supporter
Alias
Lostcause
Just shopped my Robocop and now and again the flipper/s will go weak, more so when you flip with the end of the flipper. I have also seen both flippers go weak/short flip at same time.
Both flippers have had rebuild kits fitted.
Have checked flipper board connections/pins etc.
New cabinet switches adjusted close.
Checked fuses.
I am wondering is it possible it could be anything to do with the relay on the mpu board?
Any help much appreciated as this is my first Data East.
Will probably order some new coils as on one the wire looks loosely wound.

Last edited:
Never owned a robo cop but if it has eos switches on the flippers make sure they are in good condition and the contacts are really clean

Never owned a robo cop but if it has eos switches on the flippers make sure they are in good condition and the contacts are really clean
Thanks but none on this version, going to try new coils then probably a new flipper board as there was a bulletin to mod the flipper board for weak flippers.
Think I better check the coil voltages/resistance first.

The fuse brackets holding the fuses need checking, they were pretty terrible for DE.

Very unlikely to be the coils given that both are affected.

The fuse brackets holding the fuses need checking, they were pretty terrible for DE.

Very unlikely to be the coils given that both are affected.
I have checked them with my phone zoomed in and couldn’t see any cracks and pulled fuses out to inspect.
But will go through it again and maybe reflow while out just to make sure, does seem like a power loss issue though so could be that.
My eyes aren’t great these days so reflowing fuses and connectors might be a good idea.
Thanks.

Definitely check the fuse clips on the flipper board and the power supply board. Agree it’s unlikely to be a coil.

I also recall the flipper board mod issue, I’ll try find it again -think it was only for 3 flipper games with eos though

I have checked them with my phone zoomed in and couldn’t see any cracks and pulled fuses out to inspect.
But will go through it again and maybe reflow while out just to make sure, does seem like a power loss issue though so could be that.
My eyes aren’t great these days so reflowing fuses and connectors might be a good idea.
Thanks.

How easy were the fuses to pull out? that is normally an indicator of how good the holders are... If very easy or easy then they probably need replacing.

Check if there's any movement in the end stops, check coil sleeves and if there is any movement of the flipper coil. any problems will need correcting.

If all is good then I would look at https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...d-ball-knocks-flipper-down-during-play.44981/

How easy were the fuses to pull out? that is normally an indicator of how good the holders are... If very easy or easy then they probably need replacing.

Check if there's any movement in the end stops, check coil sleeves and if there is any movement of the flipper coil. any problems will need correcting.

If all is good then I would look at https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...d-ball-knocks-flipper-down-during-play.44981/
All fuses have been hard to take out. Metered fuses and cleaned.
New flipper rebuild kits fitted but there is a small bit of up/down coil movement, flippers nice and free moving.
Just reflowed the flipper board fuses and connectors, no joy.
There is power there but now and again the flipper only goes up about 1/4 of full stroke.
Just looked at power supply board and pulled it out, bit of a mess. Should I replace?
Will check fuse holders and do some reflowing while it is out.

Attachments

• BD39530A-3F16-47FA-8F54-3E09F1567CF2.jpeg
    BD39530A-3F16-47FA-8F54-3E09F1567CF2.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 39
  • BF2B1004-EC24-4302-B503-405A18E181F4.jpeg
    BF2B1004-EC24-4302-B503-405A18E181F4.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 9186D115-A176-4F95-812B-18EC5B7D33E0.jpeg
    9186D115-A176-4F95-812B-18EC5B7D33E0.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 38
Also noticed the other day that the left sling stopped working, resistor came loose on switch but no joy. Think I should have checked that the fuses are the correct sizes.
Probably cooked transistor, all the other pops and sling work but things must be getting hot by the looks of it.
Will take it out and have a look.

Flipper going weak still a mystery, tried pushing connectors etc while flipping but can’t get it to do it.
It also has the wrong coils fitted, less powerful but still makes the jump on the ramp no problem.
090-5020-30 instead of 090-5020-20.

Attachments

• AB546B96-6F9E-48C3-8B0B-387095BBE510.jpeg
    AB546B96-6F9E-48C3-8B0B-387095BBE510.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 94B4E6BD-F99E-4504-BE28-C34EAB2F51FF.jpeg
    94B4E6BD-F99E-4504-BE28-C34EAB2F51FF.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 13
All fixed yesterday.
Slingshot was caused by a bodge repair on the mpu board and a bit of soldering fixed it.
Fitted new flipper coils and first game I had the random weak flipper, at least they are the correct coils now and new.
Then put in the new Pinled flipper board I ordered and not had the random weak flipper problem since, must of played about 50 games.
Need an air ball plastic for the ramp now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom