What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data East Jurassic Park won't boot up

I'd be tempted (if you haven't already) to pull a fuse, 1 at a time. Give them a wipe if grubby and rub some fine wet & dry on the fuse connections to make sure they're nice and shiny, replace then the next one. Also, as mentioned above the DE fuse holders can be deceptive, they may look fine but not have much tension and be broken. I had 1 or 2 like that on my TFTC. Try that first, powered down, but you knew that.

The 6 Balls missing on boot, ignore it, mine sometimes does that. Once it's nice and stable you won't get any of that.

Thanks for this useful advice guys, it really is much appreciated, even thought I've had this machine 15 years I'm still new to the whole technical issues and trying to fix them as it's been a reliable pin until this issue. I'll try all the suggested and let you know how I get on. It's just strange how when I initially used the probes to test voltage it temporarily fixed it.

Thanks for this useful advice guys, it really is much appreciated, even thought I've had this machine 15 years I'm still new to the whole technical issues and trying to fix them as it's been a reliable pin until this issue. I'll try all the suggested and let you know how I get on. It's just strange how when I initially used the probes to test voltage it temporarily fixed it.
Here's a dumb suggestion, but that doesn't usually stop me... it that board grounded properly? If the screws are loose on that left hand board that may not help. If you pressing the probes against the board and mounting board made a difference it could be a grounding issue. Are all the screws there and tight on that power supply board?

Even after I removed the board and then screwed it back in it still did it. Also not a dumb suggestion, anything helps mate.

The most common cause of non booting is a bad capacitor at C2 ( 100uF 25V ). Its located just below the lower right corner of the massive heat sink n the top right board.
Look at it carefully, and see if you see any signs of liquid on the circuit board around this area. Also check the large 3x4 connector for any heat damage. Move it around to see if it makes any difference.

Thank you, I will do this also, I'll also learn how to check the capacitor with my multimeter to see if it's still working.

Probably worth just replacing the capacitor, they do age so will need doing at some point. And they are cheap.

Also worth re-soldering all the connectors on the motherboard. They can get hairline cracks from plugging/unplugging cables.

Think I may have found the problem, I've just found F5 fuse is blown. Would this sound like it's causing the machine not to boot up?

I'd be tempted (if you haven't already) to pull a fuse, 1 at a time. Give them a wipe if grubby and rub some fine wet & dry on the fuse connections to make sure they're nice and shiny, replace then the next one. Also, as mentioned above the DE fuse holders can be deceptive, they may look fine but not have much tension and be broken. I had 1 or 2 like that on my TFTC. Try that first, powered down, but you knew that.

The 6 Balls missing on boot, ignore it, mine sometimes does that. Once it's nice and stable you won't get any of that.
You could be right with the fuses now I've found a blown one.

Hi guys, I replaced fuse F5 and it blew straight away. Now the shaker motor just spins constantly when power is on and all the back box lights remain on. Everything else on the play field is off.

Does anyone on here repair boards if I could send mine to them? Obviously for paid work. Would love to get it going again before Christmas for my son.

Hi guys, I replaced fuse F5 and it blew straight away. Now the shaker motor just spins constantly when power is on and all the back box lights remain on. Everything else on the play field is off.

Does anyone on here repair boards if I could send mine to them? Obviously for paid work. Would love to get it going again before Christmas for my son.
Pinball heaven repaired my Williams board really quickly before Christmas. I also think pinball mania might, however not sure either of them work on Data East. Give pinball heaven a call they are super helpful.

If you have a battery holder, try and get them to change it to a EPROM (I think that's what it's called) it removes the batteries. It will prevent future battery leaking damage which seems to be an issue with these

Guys just want to thank you for all your help and advice, I now having a working machine again, after a few suggestions I replaced capacitor at C2 and boom it worked. Thanks to pinballmania and Phil and Pinball Heaven for pointing to this as more than likely being the issue.

Guys just want to thank you for all your help and advice, I now having a working machine again, after a few suggestions I replaced capacitor at C2 and boom it worked. Thanks to pinballmania and Phil and Pinball Heaven for pointing to this as more than likely being the issue.
Great to hear, I'm quite fond of that machine, the gobbling dino I always enjoyed

Back
Top Bottom