What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daft questions about a lock

cooldan

i like pizza
I'm putting a new lock on the coin door, and I have two daft questions

1 the bit that holds the lock in place
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_8e7508866f30591b8558a9928fcd6a4e.jpg
That slidey bit that looks like an old coke can ring pull, does it go in from the right or left? How far across should it go? It seems a bit crap at keeping it in place tbh, but also is moulded to fit the door it seems
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_b19022c19a1cbd922571c4c5d31820cb.jpg

2 the part of the lock that keeps the door closed, I have two options - either it is to the side or up, or it is to the side and down. Which is it, and I'm sure there's a good reason like it shakes loose or something.
So is it A
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_f30f2a7845d7ac7728c94c1e6cb1da37.jpg and images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_6240a853ed942bc64aff7a79edbabd77.jpg

Or is it B
images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_b2ad9bc2faa20c6a26389f1121811c00.jpg and images.tapatalk_cdn.com_15_04_18_bcf6edbf4e9fbe748f32b344c08c67f3.jpg

Cheers fellas

Mine are all B but I don't know about the ring pull, but as long as it holds it in place and the door cant vibrate into an unlocked position I think you're good to go..

Coin door locks are supposed to open by rotating clockwise so the latch points downwards. It also avoids hitting anything - such as the slam switch on your photo.

Not sure about the slidy coke can thing. I've only used locks with screw on nuts.

Don't think it matters which side you slide the ring pull in from, whichever is easiest really.

It's only there to hold the lock in place, it's bent so it tensions against the inside of the door but is easily removed if needed.

The rotation of the locks is usually locked at horizontal (obviously) and then down when opened, tends to drop and the. Open when the keys are left in though, but as suggested above at least it doesn't foul the slam tilt switch etc

Realistically though whatever suits you is best...

>Coin door locks are supposed to open by rotating clockwise so the latch points downwards. It also avoids hitting anything

option (A) then. thanks lads, that makes sense.

Does it keep flapping down? Both that I have done do bugs the hell outa me

Same here, when I leave the keys in - bugs me too, but the guys appear to be confirming that's the correct fit.

yeah that would actually make me think B is better, as it can't rotate itself open if the locked position is already at max gravity

Yep I went B, for the reason that a locked door cannot shake itself open. It's against the laws of physics.

A locked lock can't unlock itself either. ;)

I'm sure there's a genuine reason why the locks are supposed to rotate down, but I actually don't know what that reason is lol!

But in scenario B can you remove the key in the horizontal cam/lock position? The locks i buy rotate thru 90 degs and the key wont remove in the +90 unlock position.

But in scenario B can you remove the key in the horizontal cam/lock position? The locks i buy rotate thru 90 degs and the key wont remove in the +90 unlock position.

Yeah that's right, most cam locks seem to let you remove the key in 180 degree directions, 90 degrees it will be locked in. I suppose it stops people from accidentally removing the key without the door locked. So either scenario above the key will be locked in when the door is open.

Back
Top Bottom