What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Creature from the Black Lagoon....not a shop log

ronsplooter

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris
As Geoff has already done a very good shop log on Creech I'm not going to do another one. Instead I'll use this to post some pics of the game as I work through it but not to the same level as my other shop logs :)

I've already started taking it to bits and quite far in.....

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG

IMG_3409.JPG

Some of the new bits and pieces have started to turn up........

IMG_3414.jpg

But the thing I'm most excited about turning up is this :D

IMG_3415.JPG

Been really busy with work recently so not a huge amount of progress made on this one. I've finally got the playfield cleaned up and am talking with someone about getting the flipper wear and scoop hole restored before I give it a clearcoat using the stuff recommeded by @newdos

IMG_3502.JPG

IMG_3503.JPG

Playfield cleaned up a treat compared to the before photos.

I'm interested in the whole shamozzle about the hologram in CFTBL. Can you share a few pics of what's under the big hole in the playfield and explain what the feature is/how it works, etc.? And I've seen that you can get reproduction holograms at vast expense, so what goes wrong with the originals?

Can you share a few pics of what's under the big hole in the playfield and explain what the feature is/how it works, etc.?

I'll take some pics of the various bits I took off the game when I'm next round my dads. It's basically a hologram attached to the bottom of the pf with a mirror on the bottom of the cab. There's a bulb at the back of the cab that shines on the mirror which is then reflected up onto the hologram making it appear through the window in the pf. There's a couple of motors, one to more the mirror side to side and one to flex the hologram both of which combine to give the effect of the Creature moving.

Not really sure why the holo's die but guess it's something to do with light exposure. After being lit up for many years I assume something in their chemical composition changes due to the light and they go dark.....that is a total guess though :D

From what I have seen, it is the material the hologram is recorded on that causes the degradation. It could be that this degrades over time or that particular environmental aspects (heat, sunlight) causes it to degrade and be harder to view.

Such a shame about the flipper drag, bushings cost nothing compared to what it costs to fix that damage :(

That damage could've been caused by the entire flipper baseplate/assembly starting to come loose from the underside of the playfield, Carl. It was a problem with Popeye, and also years ago on Stern's 'Meteor'.

Just a quick update to say that I've started working on this again :D It took a bit of a back seat for a while but the tumbler is now running again! Working through cleaning and tumbling everything but have also had the pf restored to fix the flipper drag wear and rebuild the snack bar. I'll post some pics up later but it's looking like this game will be for sale once I've finished it as I'm out of space and can't keep them all :(

It's been ages since I posted anything on this but I have slowly been working on getting it back together. Most of the stuff on the underside of the pf is now back on following cleaning and tumbling and I've started on the topside. Some pics I took today of the pf which show the restoration work it's had done to the flipper drag wear and the snack bar scoop. The plan is to get this finished asap and put up for sale as I have something else coming in and you can't keep them all :)

IMG_4391.JPG

IMG_4392.JPG

IMG_4393.JPG

IMG_4394.JPG

IMG_4395.JPG

Is the flipper wear a design flaw or incorrectly set up flippers? Seen a few creech with the same wear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the flipper wear a design flaw or incorrectly set up flippers?

Design is no different to other B/W games of the era, it just happens when the bushing isn't replaced or if the flipper plate comes loose I guess.

Great repair work.
Shame you're moving it on, it's a awesome game if you give it a chance.

Sweeeet!! That's fecking awesome mate.

Cheers dude, I am well pleased I've managed to get hold of one. Just need to get it delivered :) I'll be doing a shop log on here for it (plus some Youtube vids) when it comes :thumbs:

Who did the restoration of the PF, that flipper rub is frustrating and made me avoid a number of pins in the past. I would love to able to fix that.

Your restored PF looks great :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom