What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crap Artwork

Spandangler

Site Supporter
I accept this will be dominated by Data East games!! But whilst cleaning JP the other day, I was struck by just how sh1t some of the artwork is (I've updated my profile pic in homage to this)

Can you imagine the conversation when signing off the artwork with the licence holders.

"You know that blond girl who plays a pretty significant part in the film

"Yup"

"Well we've portrayed her as a young man with a ponytail with a 12 o clock shadow stubble beard, trying to reverse park a cactus. Is that cool?"

"Yeah that's fine man"

"Sweet, we'll get cracking on production then. Bye"

IMG_0183.JPG

Ahh Mr Jones, I see you failed to notice me as I have cunningly disguised myself to look more Japanese than German.....

upload_2017-7-3_16-57-20.png

Some of the DE art is truly shocking. I understand this is a weird croc statue but WTF is the big black smudge. Why do they all have them? Did someone spill ink on the artwork just before it went into production?

upload_2017-7-3_17-3-51.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-3_16-54-44.png
    upload_2017-7-3_16-54-44.png
    237 KB · Views: 18
Yuk, yuk, yuk! :D
Crap Artwork, latest Star Wars and the photoshop reliant modern Stern's?

Regarding DE's BTTF with the no MJ Fox likeness has got to be in the top 5, innit? I mean, Christ....mjf.JPG

I accept this will be dominated by Data East games!! But whilst cleaning JP the other day, I was struck by just how sh1t some of the artwork is (I've updated my profile pic in homage to this)

Can you imagine the conversation when signing off the artwork with the licence holders.

"You know that blond girl who plays a pretty significant part in the film

"Yup"

"Well we've portrayed her as a young man with a ponytail with a 12 o clock shadow stubble beard, trying to reverse park a cactus. Is that cool?"

"Yeah that's fine man"

"Sweet, we'll get cracking on production then. Bye"

View attachment 48302
I dated a woman like that..northern lass

I think you get the worst art on themed games where the artist tried to incorporate lifelike characters. The screen printing process used for backglasses and playfields did not allow for the decent colour graduation that you need for faces. The characters' faces on the Williams Indiana Jones playfield suffer from this for example. Data East produced some truly shocking artwork on themed games.

I know that with translites that they could do better faces - Dirty Harty is a great example of this. IMHO the translite and cabinet art is perfectly good, but the PF is a much lower standard

I always preferred the art used on the more "cartoon style" games. The cartoon style respects the limitations of the printing processes used at the time. I thought that the best DE artwork was on its games like Robcop and Simpsons

The top games tend to offer the complete package - art, gameplay, sounds etc. I think this partially explains why many of the more valuable and/ or most sought after titles have cartoon style artwork - CV, TAF, MM, AFM, Monster Bash, TZ etc.

upload_2017-7-3_17-3-51-png.48306

There is a pinball rehab article where the chap carefully paints that out
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/pinball-restoration/cabinet/116-cabinet-touch-up-paint-hook
turns out it's the shadow of the crocs mouth "supposedly"

I didn't think Michael J Fox was against it. Just that his likeness rights were tied up elsewhere and a deal was impossible

I didn't think Michael J Fox was against it. Just that his likeness rights were tied up elsewhere and a deal was impossible

Usually these things are actually out of the hands of the actor themselves. They probably don't give a hoot. But they have various agents, legal people, leeches who deal with all the licencing/business stuff and have to justify their jobs somehow .

Back
Top Bottom