What's new

CPR Playfield Preorder Inboxes

Nedreud

Registered
@Gaz Shiells brought to my attention that CPR (Classic Playfield Reproductions) are now taking pre-orders on PARAGON playfields. A long time ago CPR had said to me they wouldn't be able to do widebody games until they got a bigger sanding machine, but it now appears that their 25" machine has been upgraded to a massive 50" sanding monster! I note that they are also doing the super-widebody SPACE INVADERS too.

So, I thought I'd start a little thread to discuss the pros and cons of a CPR playfield, general thoughts, experiences from those who have one, who's taken the plunge and put their name on a PREORDER INBOX, etc.

Current OPEN inboxes are:

PARAGON $799

paragonpreorder[1].jpg

SPACE INVADERS $799

invaderspreorder[1].jpg

ELVIRA and the PARTY MONSTERS $749

elvirapreorder[1].jpg

FISH TALES $749

fishtalespficon[1].jpg

NITRO GROUNDSHAKER $649

nitropreorder[1].jpg

Whilst I would deeply love a brand-spanking-new playfield for PARAGON, the $799 price tag plus $119 shipping to Europe and the inevitable 20% import duty (grand total ~$1,100 or about £715) is way out of my price range!

My Flash Gordon playfield is a CPR one although I bought it from Planetary Pinball rather than direct from CPR... cost me just over £600 once I'd got my hands on it :( I'm also on the pre-order list for the TAF playfields they're doing...hoping to get that at some point this year :)

How do I order a TAF one? Are they still taking orders?
Since November 2014 they now have what is called the PREORDER INBOXES. Basically, you promise to buy a playfield and they promise to make it - a "good faith" system. There's a FORFEIT scheme but only under exceptional circumstances. Backing-out without a decent reason will get you removed from all waiting lists and a ban on pre-ordering again.

Sorry, @Calimori, I only listed the still playfields available to order. It looks as though TAF is FULL & CLOSED with no waiting list :(

Gotta be a fair few Fish Tails owners after that, I don;t think I've seen one without insert wear.

Gotta be a fair few Fish Tails owners after that, I don;t think I've seen one without insert wear.

The difference between a decent players machine and a minter looks to be less than the "all-in" price of the playfield though.

How do I order a TAF one? Are they still taking orders?

Sorry mate but the TAF pf's were hoovered up stupidly quickly :( The only reason I got in was I just happened to be looking on Pinside when they got announced.

So @@ronsplooter, what's the quality like on that FG playfield? Any niggles?

I'm really happy with it. The only thing was that it was slightly warped when it arrived but some heavy weights before I fitted it plus the weight of everything on it in the game have sorted this out.

My taxi playfield was fantastic. Depending on the quality post production, the playfield are divided into 3 categories. Gold, silver and bronze. The price also differs, in some cases quite significantly, I was early on the taxi pre order and had he pick of the bunch. I opted for a bronze quality as it was about $150 cheaper than a gold if I remember correctly. It arrived in super quick time, well packaged with a hefty fee to pay for I port tax :mad:

There were inevitably floors in the pf, as I opted for a bronze. It was however, very minor, some white flecks in the grey is all I could find which will be covered by ramps etc.. Anyway.

I think I might have posted pics of it in my taxi shop log.

If you read pin side, it's full of negativity about the quality of the clearcoat and cloudy inserts but I can't see any.

I'm battling my demons not to order a fishtales pf.

Whilst I would deeply love a brand-spanking-new playfield for PARAGON, the $799 price tag plus $119 shipping to Europe and the inevitable 20% import duty (grand total ~$1,100 or about £715) is way out of my price range!

Yes, well expensive. You had the right idea with an overlay :)

Do you reckon theres any way to lower shipping costs by a group order Gaz?

Possibly mate. It's just the logistics of getting that many people on the pre order list, for the same playfield.
Then getting cpr to agree to post together.
I'm sure they can get a couple of pf's per box.

The chances of all of those stars aligning are pretty slim!

It's luck of the draw how much the tax costs. I'm sure my taxi pf was about £40 but RonSplooters was about £150!!!

I doff my cap to people who have the skill and determination to source, buy and fit these. If your game is a real keeper, I get it. But on most titles you will take a financial beating if you ever sell the game. If you buy TZ, CV, TAF you should get your money back. Fathom, Centaur and the best old Bally SS, you may get your money back.

if you are a masochist you can even buy a Bad Cats płayfield and płastics set. Now I love the artwork on this game, and I regularly played it in the wild back in the day, but these complete machines only sell for about the combined cost of a CPR playfield and plastics set.

I note that a wise fellow who makes a living from pinball - Phil - is just buying the TAF playfields. Not the Nitro Groundshaker ones

Possibly mate. It's just the logistics of getting that many people on the pre order list, for the same playfield.
Then getting cpr to agree to post together.
I'm sure they can get a couple of pf's per box.

The chances of all of those stars aligning are pretty slim!

It's luck of the draw how much the tax costs. I'm sure my taxi pf was about £40 but RonSplooters was about £150!!!

It looks like current exchange makes $749 = £485. VAT at 20% makes this £581. Not sure if there's additional Import Duty to be paid?

This is without shipping cost as well ofc. @philpalmer / @ronsplooter have you had any recent quotes on shipping for your TAF PFs?

edit: Just noticed the figure of $119 mentioned above. This looks to be £77 if no way of reducing shipping between order combines. Puts running total to £658...

Last edited:
It looks like current exchange makes $749 = £485. VAT at 20% makes this £581. Not sure if there's additional Import Duty to be paid?

This is without shipping cost as well ofc. @philpalmer / @ronsplooter have you had any recent quotes on shipping for your TAF PFs?

edit: Just noticed the figure of $119 mentioned above. This looks to be £77 if no way of reducing shipping between order combines. Puts running total to £658...

Sorry, the tax I was referring to was import. There is no VAT to add?? I don't think so £481 plus whatever import tax

You forgot Parcel Force handling fee.

Sorry, the tax I was referring to was import. There is no VAT to add?? I don't think so £481 plus whatever import tax

According to da man both VAT AND import duty may apply... I'll be totally happy to be wrong about this though.

You forgot Parcel Force handling fee.

I'd rather go pick it up at port of entry than let those guys break it as they offload at my house or 'lose' it...

No way will it be $119 a playfield on a group buy. I have multiple on order and there's not a cat in hells chance I am paying 119 each.

No duty on pinball parts.

Just VAT to pay (and a fair share of freight). No parcel force handling if I bring them in as I bring in as one big lump with pallets of other stuff....

@philpalmer do you have a list of games that overlays are going to be available from planetary pinball. I was listening to pinball headz podcast where they say they have been given the go ahead to print a load.
Would like a Gorgar overlay.

Happy to stand corrected but I think you pay 20% on the shipping too? Hence my original estimate on $799 + $119 with 20% is approximately $1,100 or just over £700. This would be for an individual to buy direct. As shipping in this case is via UPS it should get couried to your door without a "handling fee" from Royal Mail. There are definitely postage schemes with couriers like UPS where you pay them the import duty and they sort out paying it to HMRC, so no delay with your item stuck in customs.

Quite often whenever I've bought something from the U.S. And they have used ups once it gets to the UK parcel farce take over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked my paypal re my taxi pf. It cost £481.35p ($744) plus whatever customs stung me, think it was £45 ish!! So about £530 all in.

Back
Top Bottom