What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Countdown door coin acceptors

Pennarddog

Registered
I have this Countdown Pinball that i've had for years, restored it, the mainboard was shot so replaced it with the Janin board. I would love to get it back working on coins ..but no coin acceptors - which is all I think is missing ..plus maybe the coin box ?? Anyone point me at what coin acceptors I should be looking for ...seem to be a few around on U.S Ebay, that say they are for the right Era - i.e 1970's (I know this is late 70's - 79 I believe. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1358.JPG
    IMG_1358.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1357.JPG
    IMG_1357.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1359.JPG
    IMG_1359.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 23
Any mechanical pinball mech (usually made by CC = Coin Controls).

They are still installed in new games for the US market.

I have one (£1 denomination) that I keep as a spare if you get desperate.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CM25US-CAD is what you are after, though there are several manufacturers and variations in the form factor.
Generally, they are interchangeable.

You will need to decide what coin value you want it to accept and ensure the denomination will pass through the slot/channel mounted in the door.

Hello, Pennar,

The u.k. designation for the type used in most pins is/was 'S 10', rather than the video game/fruit machine S 1. Most of us have some tucked away. I see that you're not far from me - I could see if I've an old 10 or 50 pence version, which are the most likely to have been originally fitted. 1979 was too late for the old 5 pence/shilling coin to have been the price per play.

Last edited:
Hi, I've found these that accept the new 10p ...I don't have any old 10ps ..Guess you can get hold of them ...the old 10p's I meant ...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 12.09.39.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-03 at 12.09.39.png
    150.9 KB · Views: 9
Hello, Pennar,

The u.k. designation for the type used in most pins is/was 'S 10', rather than the video game/fruit machine S 1. Most of us have some tucked away. I see that you're not far from me - I could see if I've an old 10 or 50 pence version, which are the most likely to have been originally fitted. 1979 was too late for the old 5 pence/shilling coin to have been the price per play.
Thanks ...just ordered a new S10 ...fingers crossed, if all good then I'll get another to fit on slot #2, thanks for the help and the offer.

The 'new' 10 pence coin isn't much different from the u.s. quarter/25c (as far as an S 10 is concerned, anyway), I used one slightly tweaked in my F-14, for the new 10 pence, and its own original for the old one.

Looking at the screenshot of that new one, you may need to move the securing grub screws from the upper locations to the centre ones, going by the picture of the coin door.

It could be worse, though. At least you won't need the obsolete 'T' plates and longer grubs* used to mount S 10 acceptors in a Williams door. They're so much larger that I'm not sure they can rightly be termed grub screws.

Last edited:
The 'new' 10 pence coin isn't much different from the u.s. quarter/25c (as far as an S 10 is concerned, anyway), I used one slightly tweaked in my F-14, for the new 10 pence, and its own original for the old one.

Looking at the screenshot of that new one, you may need to move the securing grub screws from the upper locations to the centre ones, going by the picture of the coin door.
Think you are correct, the centre to centre on the grub screws as supplied is 84.5 cm, whereas the Gottlieb is 45 ..

The S10 I ordered is too thin - it doesn't align with the coin slot and I can't see how the S10 would opperate the leaf switch that gives the credits ..it 'looks' like the Gotteib acceptor was slightly different even though the lugs on the coin acceptor are the same as on the S10 ..or are all S10's not exactly the same ??? The S10 I bought sits to the right of the leaf switch and the coin droipIMG_1430.JPG

The acceptor bracket seems to have the mounting slots lined up with the accept/reject outlet gulley, so that a coin passing through the acceptor would either drop into the cash box (deflecting the trip wire as it does so) or be channelled forwards and into the coin return if rejected. The exit of the coin chute at the top, the slots for the acceptor (and thus the channel of the acceptor) and the lower gulley should all be in a vertical alignment.

The acceptor bracket seems to have the mounting slots lined up with the accept/reject outlet gulley, so that a coin passing through the acceptor would either drop into the cash box (deflecting the trip wire as it does so) or be channelled forwards and into the coin return if rejected. The exit of the coin chute at the top, the slots for the acceptor (and thus the channel of the acceptor) and the lower gulley should all be in a vertical alignment.
Hi Jay

Many thanks for your help and advice. I breathed in, got work over and some coffee and logically traced it all through. One of the problems when I reviewed it was that in both chutes the coin reject wires that reject coins when the machine is off were bent way out of shape. I straightened them, tried again and it’s now working. I can order a second larger denomination S10 now for the right hand slot. Thanks again ...

Back
Top Bottom