What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corroded Metal - Suggestions Please

DRD

Registered
It is years since I got involved with a game with metal as corroded as this. The wood cab and head of this System 11 are OK, so probably just damp storage at some stage of its 35 yr life.

Are these sorts of things just zinc plated steel? So once deep rust sets in, even if you grind it out you are into mild steel ?

The bracket on the right will clean with a dremel/ autosol or a buffing wheel with compound - like the shiny bit I just did.

The one in the middle is too far gone for this. The one on the left is even worse.

I really don't want to re-plate this as it is hidden in the backbox stuff. Equally I want to follow the first law of pinball stewardship - do no harm.

Is evapo-rust alone enough?

Do I grasp the nettle and use a dremel wire brush on it ?

20220210_161552.jpg
How have you guys dealt with this sort of problem ?

Thanks

evaporust to get the rust off, then whatever abrasive & polishing methods you fancy. In extreme cases a fine metal flap wheel to take it all back to the bare metal.

Reactions: DRD
I've been working on some lockdown bars & other plated stuff recently. I've found you can wire wheel the corrosion off but you'll be through any plating quite quickly so you're just now polishing metal.
Problem being the bare metal will corrode, so I sprayed a zinc coating on the stuff once de-rusted.

White vinegar being the cheaper option to evaporust! Soak it in there for a week in a jamjar on the window sill. I know what you mean, no-one's gonna see it and it's extra expense you can do without.

What does zinc plating cost if you take a box of pinball bits to a workshop pls ?

The more I look, the more corrosion I see..... 20220210_165854.jpg

What prep do the zinc plating guys require you to do to the rusty and pitted metal before you drop it off pls ?

Back
Top Bottom