What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Control issues with Scared Stiff (WPC95)

Spadge

Registered
5Years
So my Scared Stiff has suddenly developed a weird fault in that it's randomly sensing controller input (from the switch box and also the flippers). Anyone know what the culprit is? I've checked everything for shorts and am all out, I had a game yesterday and the flipper went on it's own. Never had this issue with any of my others.

Any pattern? I'd start by reseating all the ribbon cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did that - I replaced the dmd ribbon cable yesterday which was at fault (screen went off) - was amazed to find the ribbon cable was at fault, hadn't been near it, exchanged with MB, initially thought it would be a fuse.

Seems to be no pattern but happening with flipper buttons and menu buttons.

Changed the ribbon cable with a few different ones, the game plays fine with no random operator menu or flipper button inputs.

However, the operator buttons don't work at all, any of them. The game plays totally fine, flipper buttons all ok, etc.

Feels like something pretty stupid I've missed or overlooked, I'll have another look later.

Try Checking the coin door PCB just inside the cabinet to the left of the coin door.

Yeah I did, seems ok, no loose/hanging ground anywhere.

As usual, I'm perplexed by;

a) No problems
b) Then intermittent switches closing (operator switches and flipper buttons now and then)
c) Remove and replace ribbon cable
d) Now no response from the operator buttons - but game works and plays fine.

Hi,

The four control buttons, and the four coin inputs, are the 'D' (direct) switches, and probably have their own connector on the Cpu board - they did on earlier Wpc boards. Each of the lines is switched to ground when the button/coin switch is 'closed'.

Hi,

The four control buttons, and the four coin inputs, are the 'D' (direct) switches, and probably have their own connector on the Cpu board - they did on earlier Wpc boards. Each of the lines is switched to ground when the button/coin switch is 'closed'.

Thanks, according to the manual they're on J205, the cable seems fine I just have to check for continuity. I just don't get how they all could go bad. I'm assuming it's a chip controller gone awry.

One of the wires in that connector is the ground connection for them, so you could try taking off the connector and carefully linking each input pin in turn to the ground pin. I'd say put the machine into switch test first, but in this case that isn't possible.

It's one of thew few machines that I don't have an NVRAM in there, but they were replaced not so long back and as far as I know there's not been a leak.

Best go and have a look or post a photo here for others to scrutinise!

The same thought had gone through my mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Here you go. I have a working MB next to it, I'll try swapping the ribbon cable first, then the MPU.

Attachments

• IMG_4168.JPG
    IMG_4168.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4169.JPG
    IMG_4169.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4170.JPG
    IMG_4170.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 11
FIXED!

Well, sort of...

I decided to swap over the MPU boards in SS and MB. Removed the boards, 2 IC's etc.

Put them all back together to see if the fault occured on MB, but lo and behold, both are working fine, both operator buttons fine.

I can assume they were somehow grounded on my SS but movement in the back box has settled it down again.

I like the result of this, but I'd have liked to have knom where the issue was!

Back
Top Bottom