What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CONSTRUCTION OF A LIGHT BOX FOR PINBALL TRANSLITES : VIDEO

Have to say @AlanJ there the biz. Sort me a few and that trip to Ireland to visit my new Gameroom will not cost you anything

I didnt know a thing 10 months ago about all this arduino stuff, I've gone from zero to this in a few months. I am willing to help if yu want to have a bash, or I can do one for you. Im in Leeds, helps if you're nearby?

TBH it looks like you gone from Zero to Hero in the past 10 months Alan :thumbs:

I’m in Sunderland which is not quite local enough to pop in and if it was I’d be having a bash on your LOTR which has eluded me over the years and of course POTC. Lucky you!
As for the light box the woodwork side would be a doddle for me and TBH I would love to have a bash on the lighting as it sounds like it will either stimulate my brain cells (what little I have) or drive me nuts hehe
Do I order any specific Arduino board and are those string leds the best option after your experiments over the past month

Cheers Colin

TBH it looks like you gone from Zero to Hero in the past 10 months Alan :thumbs:

I’m in Sunderland which is not quite local enough to pop in and if it was I’d be having a bash on your LOTR which has eluded me over the years and of course POTC. Lucky you!
As for the light box the woodwork side would be a doddle for me and TBH I would love to have a bash on the lighting as it sounds like it will either stimulate my brain cells (what little I have) or drive me nuts hehe
Do I order any specific Arduino board and are those string leds the best option after your experiments over the past month

Cheers Colin
Hey not too far away - get down to Leeds for a weekend and we can play some pinball and also put together a display circuit. the arduino Nano boards are more than eough for these sorrt of projects. If you want to do LED strings andd then LCD or 7 segment displays then an arduino Uno or even the Mega boards are a bit more meaty and have more inputs and outputs. The nano boards are like £3 each, then mega boards £8 - so none break the bank.

The Led strings are WS2811 or WS2812 led strings. they are absolutely amazing to work with. They only need one data wire and that allows you to control the colour and brrightness of ech indivvidual LED in the string, and you can link string together - so literally 100's of LED's off one data feed.
I use a lot of these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50Pcs-WS...a:g:Pa0AAOSww5pbYBCJ:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes - Ive used them on all sorts of different projects.

Am looking to be able to knock up Manny-style wooden frames at a reasonable price within the next 6 months... so if anyone is interested they are on the horizon....

An update - I've been working on an idea to create a user configurable RGB Led back light board - for use in lighting translites for wall art. The lighting is provided by 50 RGB Leds, that are placed in a grid 10 X 5 on a piece of board.
They are powered by an arduino which provides a number of different patterns - all the way from a plain single colour, through simple colour changes, through to fades and onto more complex patterns, sinewaves and 'sweeps' etc.
The user can setup the system to decide what patterns and colours to display.
Originally I was going to provide some buttons and an LCD display, to allow settings to be viewed, changed and saved.
I've since decided that the better way to do this is via a webpage, so I'm working on making the system wifi enabled, so that you can connect to it from your phone or laptop and then view, change and save it's settings
This would also allow me to issue new software updates easily (you download the new software file and then use the web interface , and tell the lighting system where to find the new s/w - then it uploads itself).
The software updates would be useful for adding new light display patterns over time. Someone suggested that we could create 'translite specific' themes - e..g. one for TZ, another for Star Trek, etc.
I'm on with developing all this and will have something to show in a week or two, three...............

Further to my post above - Have a look at what I've got so far. Here's a video of the current progress:
The patterns are pretty limited just now - I'm working on making them much better............

Hi Alan
Great work and takes all the donkey work out of the set up for us well done.
Put me down for a couple of sets
Regards Colin

Im still on with the lighting project. I am waiting on parts from china, should have arrived this week, but apparently the items have not made it through customs for some reason, so order cancelled, start again - wait 3-4 weeks. grrrrrrr

Im still on with the lighting project. I am waiting on parts from china, should have arrived this week, but apparently the items have not made it through customs for some reason, so order cancelled, start again - wait 3-4 weeks. grrrrrrr
Hey sheet happens and I’m in no rush we will get there in the end \o/

I made 3 lightboxes with arcade translites.
Now I'm planning to do lightbox with my old Swords of Fury translite.
What do you think about them? ;)
fe076a3e34ab8dba4ca7dc3694b8d047.jpg

I’m big old school arcade fan as much as I am pinball and always knocking up cabs. Here’s a small vertical I built and designed the art too for my 7yr old. He never off it.

090827A3-ABC2-49F9-8113-3BD1DB54D2B7.jpeg

However I’ve got two ultimate projects for you if you ever get bored lol

My party zone translite custom lit as I eventually want to put a dotclock behind the dmd window when mr.dotclock makes a dmd size one

Then using your extensive skills my spare Rudy head with his eyes and jaw moving when you ask him something via Alexa.
Now that would be something really special and ultimate pinball cool
One can only dream and when I was a kid my dad told me anything is possible if you put your mind to it! But maybe my mind is just not capable hence your next project lol

Hi, I've now got the software to a level that I'm happy with and finally the right parts arrived from China yesterday, so, I've made up 2 sets of translite lighting kits.

See this video for details of what's included and what you can do with it.

The parts costs to me are:
String of 50 RGB, LEDS £9
Wifi arduino processor £5
Power supply board £2
Power Pack £4
ProtoBoard, sockets, connectors, wire, solder £2
Total £22

As well as the parts, It then takes me a couple of hours to make up the board, install the software, set it up and test out each unit.

Not looking to make any money out of the first couple, just cover the parts costs
So, the first 2 - £25 each to include UK postage.

Please lmk if you want one.

Many thanks,

Alan

Hi, I've now got the software to a level that I'm happy with and finally the right parts arrived from China yesterday, so, I've made up 2 sets of translite lighting kits.

See this video for details of what's included and what you can do with it.

The parts costs to me are:
String of 50 RGB, LEDS £9
Wifi arduino processor £5
Power supply board £2
Power Pack £4
ProtoBoard, sockets, connectors, wire, solder £2
Total £22

As well as the parts, It then takes me a couple of hours to make up the board, install the software, set it up and test out each unit.

Not looking to make any money out of the first couple, just cover the parts costs
So, the first 2 - £25 each to include UK postage.

Please lmk if you want one.

Many thanks,

Alan

Reminds me about your translates... I found them so will keep them around. I’ll do this stuff when I’m 2 handed again :)

Nice work mate.

Back
Top Bottom